Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2023, 12:52 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
2022 Interstate 24X
Haymarket , Virginia
I'm interested in the METHOD 901 wheels you show on your rig - I just rec'd delivery of a 2022 24X with Raptor coated steel MBenz wheels (aka Rhino bed covering) and the coating was peeling off before we even left the dealer lot. this is going to be a chronic issue and Airstream is non too concerned about standing behind it - do the METHOD 901s meet or exceed the standard MBenz steel wheel specs for the 2022 24X, thank you, Bob Bauer
bb2022-24X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:54 PM   #22
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
There’s no excuse for it, but that’s generally the case with any new RV. Keep a list of busted stuff and bring it in for warranty service whenever you get disgusted enough. 🤷 It took us two years of warranty work to get our brand new 2013 Airstream trailer to where it should have been when it left the factory.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:10 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Deleted. Double Post. My bad.

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by emike View Post
Hello!

We will be picking up our new Interstate 24X on Monday Signed docs last night.

What are everyone's thoughts on:
  1. Expanding the batteries from 2 x 100a/h to 8 x 100a/h?

You can get two more, maybe, in the battery box. Everything else would take significant work. I carry the Ecoflow Delta Pro, which has a 30 amp port, but they have the River and other smaller options. I can run the coach off a 15 amp Ecoflow Delta or River for nearly 24 hours without thinking about needing to top it off. That's without the AC running and running the heater at night in 40 to 50-degree weather.

This is an excellent alternative to more batteries on the coach, although I to have considered trying to get 2 more batteries in the box but found it's not needed and I am rarely out of juice. Highly suggest you use it as is for a few trips that best represent how you intend to use it to see if it's needed.

2. Snorkel?

It already sits high, so unless you water forge (not a great idea) or drive exclusively in very very dusty environments, or like it just for looks, not needed.

3. Winch?

As a dually, and with the extra height and thus high center of gravity, you are not likely going places where you will need it. It does look cool, and I also do things that look cool because I like them, so I don't fault anyone for that at all.

4. Increasing the fuel capacity?

You have limited options here. I was checking on this myself, and for the Interstate X on a 3500 HD chassis, nothing was great and fully compatible with the electronics of millage to go. If you don't care, keep your eye on Owl's Van's stuff and double-check compatibility. I don't think they have anything that works on Interstate X without significant modification. The plug-and-play tanks are for the 2500 VS30 when I last looked and while the fuel gauge was good, it threw off the other computer components. This really depends on your driving habits. The infrequent fuel stops force me to take a break on long trips.

I just carry a single yellow Rotopax for emergencies and dump that fuel into the main tank every fillup to keep it fresh.[/B]

5. Converting from black water tank to cassette toilet?

That would be not very easy since it's a wet bath, and the gray and black go through the macerator. Use what you have for a bit before making this call. You will save the black tank space underneath but then would still need to drag the cassette out the side door without significant rework of the body. Most modern Sprinters have external access ports for the cassette, and you wouldn't, and even fabricating that would be pretty involved because of everything in the wall right where such an access port would need to be. You may not want to cut open your van until the warranties are expired. The macerator and long hose are pretty great, IMO, but it's also needed to dump the gray, so it's not like you can also save that space and weight. The grey and black tanks are not gravity based.
The must-have accessories are usually the Owl's Van storage box (or boxes), the spare tire carrier, and often the 1-up bike rack if you need it. These are all very common on any 2500 or 3500 Sprinter.

A few people have added cargo carriers on the roof rack (Airstream will tell you it's for looks only, but it has functional cross bars) but this covers the Merlin solar panels, and you would need to carry a ladder even if you are an NBA player.

Sorry to internet vomit over those ideas. You asked, and from one Interstate X owner to another, those are not common mods. I don't even think I have see snorkel on a 3500, just a 2500.

PS:
Consider joining the Interstate X-specific Facebook group and tell them AirParkOnly sent you. It's a good community.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	427651  

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
Old 01-31-2023, 03:01 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2023 Rangeline
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2022-24X View Post
hello folks, breaking in my new 24X rig and have a mix of emotions for what I paid for it. I love the 2021 MBenz chassis performance, so smooth and it seems like it will endure really well - far less impressed with the Airstream uplifting - I have a list as long as my arm for either Service or warranty to be performed right out of the box. little to no QC/QA has been performed on this rig, by Ohio, or the dealer in VA. I'm curious how other 24X folks are doing with the same or similar rig, looking fwd to hear from y'all. thanks, Bob
Hey Bob,

I'm curious what items are on your list. As others have said, it's unfortunately common to have a small punch list of fixes upon delivery and early use. I had a few very minor things that I could sort myself. The only serious issue I've had with my 24X is a window leak, which damaged a piece of interior trim.

My thought on my 24X is that it's "okay". I'll say, I'm glad I got mine early when pricing was lower, because the current MSRP feels quite high for what they deliver.

Some items that stick out to me:

- I haven't enjoyed the erector set-style bed design. I much prefer the fold away design that is used in the new Rangeline. I also don't find the troop carrier style bench seating to be useful.

- The packaging and quality of the undercarriage add-ons are not suited for an "off roader". Zip ties for cords/hoses, unprotected batteries and generator, etc. I'd much prefer the batteries to have been located inside the coach and out of harms way.

- There is no spare tire, no tire pressure monitoring, and two of the tire valves are inaccessible. Again, this is marketed as Airstream's "off the beaten path" Class B, so I'd think they'd ship this van with a quality tire value extension kit installed, a TPMS system, and a spare tire. This was a problem that I had to spend time and money remedying.

- If you want a TV/monitor, the plug and play TV mount costs over $500 from Airstream.

- The air conditioning unit has no thermostat. It has a high setting and a low setting. So for me, that means waking up cold in the middle of the night and turning it off, or vice versa. For $200k+, I'd like an air con that I can set to 70 degrees and not think about it again.

Otherwise, it's performed well. The MB platform is great, love having true 4X4, and knock on wood, all of the Airstream systems have performed as they should.
zeekwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:57 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekwad View Post
Hey Bob,
I am not Bob, but here are the problems I have spent months getting dialed out:

1. I have had significant Elwell Timberline problems with the factory installation (bad wiring and plumbing connections) and the 2.0 system itself panel locking up. All now fixed with lots of time with Elwell support and multiple dealer trips.
  2. Pending recall on the cabinets not being mounted that securely. Recall should be issued soon if not already.
  3. Reports of the rooftop solar panels hooked up incorrectly (200 watts to chassis and not house and vice-versus) amongst others.
  4. Problems with the screen door rattling and or tearing. This seems better in the 2023-ish or late 2022-ish when they made the change. As Bob would point out, you can't really say it's fixed or not fixed by the model year since they make changes routinely, and one man's Interstate X is not the same as another man's Interstate X.
  5. I also took delivery with a poorly connected parking braking sensor which was fixed day of delivery. I only found this out during the routine delivery stuff trying to put down the stablizers.
  6. I've also had problems with the 4x4 switch. This was not properly connected in mine, I can only guess Airstream knocked it loose or broke it hooking up the forward off-road lights and travel alarm switches, but can't prove it. This was fixed under MB warranty.

All in I took 3 trips to the Airstream dealer service, multiple visits with an Elwell rep, and 1 trip to the MB dealer to get my van to work like it should of out of the box. It isn't very pleasant. Set your expectations to "will take some time to dial in."

Now that I have everything dialed in, I am happy. But man, those first 2 months tried my patience and made me question my perhaps unhealthy and unjustified loyalty to Airstream.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:27 AM   #27

Jonestown , Texas
Quote:
I'm interested in the METHOD 901 wheels you show on your rig - I just rec'd delivery of a 2022 24X with Raptor coated steel MBenz wheels (aka Rhino bed covering) and the coating was peeling off before we even left the dealer lot. this is going to be a chronic issue and Airstream is non too concerned about standing behind it - do the METHOD 901s meet or exceed the standard MBenz steel wheel specs for the 2022 24X, thank you, Bob Bauer
Quote:
Bob:

After having a 24X on order for almost a year and no real delivery date in sight, I purchased the 24X in a listing above:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...023915&slide=7

It came with the Method 901 wheels on it which apparently in the truck world is the "the kit" to have. Every third or fourth pickup truck here in Texas has Method wheels or some copy on it.

A couple notes: the wheels are NOT mix and match, the front only fits the front, and rear outer only fits the rear outer, you use the OEM steel wheel for the rear inner. The Method wheels appear to be bullet proof, are highly rated, and completely transform the Sprinter looks. I got 3 of each wheel, front and rear outer, 6 total in the purchase. If you think about it, you really need to use the OEM steel wheel as a spare because the method wheels DO NOT fit anywhere else beside their designated front, or rear outer. Given this issue, I sold the Method wheels, lug nuts and hub caps on-line locally for 75% of new cost in less than 48 hours. Having owned 3500 dually sprinters since 2006, I purchased, powder coated, and fitted 16" steel OEM wheels and am very happy. Note I found at least 3 different 16" OEM steel wheel (3500 dually) designs (2007-2022) and think the most recent w/ the round holes is the strongest. Like you I quickly concluded the Rhino coated OEM steel wheels as supplied by Airstream weren't going to cut it. I'd suggest take the steel OEM wheels to a good professional commercial powder coater, have the Rhino coating blasted off and a powder coat of your color choice applied. You can use them as backup if you purchase the Methods wheels.
I'll summarize the few other issues I've had with the 24X in another post. Suffice to say it's the best sprinter I've ever had, plus it is the perfect RV for my needs.
Cheers!
Steve
mccasksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:07 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2023 Rangeline
Portland , Oregon
I also have the issue of the peeling coating on the wheels (and exhaust pipe). I think every van has that issue, though on newer builds they've started painting the wheels and no longer do the coating on the wheels.

I also had gremlins with the Garmin dash system. One thing that fixed it for me was reconnecting the interface/screen unit with its in-dash hub via it's WIFI. I couldn't believe it, but the removable screen on the dash only communicates with the in-dash hub via WIFI. So your audio is being carried over wifi and if that connection gets wonky, you get drop outs/static/etc. While I was at it, I updated the firmware on the Garmin unit too, which could have helped stability of that connection.

Regarding your air suspension control - that could be linked to there being a loose comm connection to your hand brake. I had this issue upon delivery and it was as simple as unplugging/plugging back in of the hand brake comm wire.

I have rattles with the screen door (bad ones) and so it's quite noisy on bumpy roads but fine on the highway.

Good luck with all of your other items. It does seem like you have a few more than average.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:21 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekwad View Post
I also had gremlins with the Garmin dash system. One thing that fixed it for me was reconnecting the interface/screen unit with its in-dash hub via it's WIFI.
That Garmin is such garbage that I denied delivery (and the discounts offered) and waited for a chassis with the MBUX like a Sprinter should have. I hope people who took delivery with it got good discounts. An aftermarket Garmin and (in my case) no Adaptive Cruise nearly killed my purchase.

Old 02-02-2023, 02:07 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2023 Rangeline
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
That Garmin is such garbage that I denied delivery (and the discounts offered) and waited for a chassis with the MBUX like a Sprinter should have. I hope people who took delivery with it got good discounts. An aftermarket Garmin and (in my case) no Adaptive Cruise nearly killed my purchase.
Yes, I saved quite a bit of money by taking the van with the Garmin unit. I was not happy about it, but the savings and being able to use the van last summer made it worth it. I don't use adaptive cruise generally, but aside from losing MBUX, I was also bummed about losing the front parking sensors.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Holy hell, I looked under a 24X and everything is exposed and cheaply mounted. For a Class B over $200K, it's a complete joke. As is Airstream in general.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote