Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
2012 Interstate Coach
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
bought Interstate 2012 - needs a lot of parts

Hello all,

We just bought our second airstream - this time a 2012 Airstream Interstate. Unfortunately, the seller did not disclose quite heavy modifications / removal of items on the inside that I have to bring back to stock to make this van usable. Please help us out if you have knowledge on sourcing, installing, or cost of any of these parts.

-Seats and seat belts.
a) second row seats have been removed and replaced with generic plush RV seats with no seat belts that do not turn. Seems to me like I need to find a set of sand colored airstream interstate seats, new or used, or at a minimum find a way to add seat belts to the existing seats. I would rather go back to stock.

b) back electric sofa seat belts are removed and the head rests are missing. Seems like these items are easily added back in, but where to get them?

-Appliances.
a) fridge has been removed and replaced with a generic black household model. Needs to go back to stock, unless there is a better / cheaper alternative available. I understand the novakool is the stock item, and its 2 way (12v/120V). Do you recommend this one or is there another one that is a perfect retrofit?

b) microwave has been removed and replaced with a generic $99 household model. this needs to get back to stock. I see the current spec is a sliding unit? I don't use this much but It needs to go back to the sleek appearance of a stock look.

-RV exterior
a) seller claimed power step, but the sliding door power step has been removed. Where do I get the parts to buy a new one and wire it in? the step is otherwise way too high for my little kids.

b) awning. it has the electric awning but it hangs low on the rear side. the supports for it are there which should solve the problem but on the van side it looks like the brackets are missing / incomplete....... again, where can I get these? thank you.

Obviously I am a slightly unhappy camper right now, but I do have to say the overall airstream design is very nice. I would very much appreciate if this forum can help me out here to get to a great RV again.

Thank you

Florian
fspeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
This should help:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...tate-parts.pdf

Can you take the seller to small claims court?
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds rather bizarre, that in a relatively new unit all those things have been removed.

Did the previous owner sell them?

I haven't a clue as to where you would find those things, but my first thought is if the frig and microwave are working to just leave them in place.

Seat belts can be a different story, depending on how you're going to use this, and with whom inside.

I would think that replacement seat belts could be obtained without too much trouble.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 06-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by fspeier View Post
a) fridge has been removed and replaced with a generic black household model. Needs to go back to stock, unless there is a better / cheaper alternative available. I understand the novakool is the stock item, and its 2 way (12v/120V). Do you recommend this one or is there another one that is a perfect retrofit?
A Nova Kool is probably your best bet for a drop-in replacement. No need to hook up the 120vAC cord, just the 12vDC connection. It's actually more energy-efficient in 12vDC mode. You definitely want to replace the household model unless you're happy with one that only works on 120vAC.
Quote:
b) microwave has been removed and replaced with a generic $99 household model. this needs to get back to stock. I see the current spec is a sliding unit? I don't use this much but It needs to go back to the sleek appearance of a stock look.
In the 2012 models, the stock microwave/convection oven was a Half Time Oven, model AC24BIB. At least, that's what mine is. An obscure brand, and no longer available anywhere as far as I can tell.
Quote:
a) seller claimed power step, but the sliding door power step has been removed. Where do I get the parts to buy a new one and wire it in? the step is otherwise way too high for my little kids.
The original step was a Project 2000 step, made in Italy. I don't know of an American distributor, so you'll probably have to order one through an Airstream dealer.
Quote:
b) awning. it has the electric awning but it hangs low on the rear side. the supports for it are there which should solve the problem but on the van side it looks like the brackets are missing / incomplete....... again, where can I get these? thank you.
The awning is a Fiamma F65, which is still in production. You should be able to order replacement parts from Fiamma USA. Note that later-model Interstates have Fiamma F65 Eagle awnings which do not have support legs, but in 2012 the F65 Eagle hadn't yet been introduced, so yours has two support legs that must be deployed to support the awning, and the awning doesn't auto-retract in high winds.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Welcome to Air Forums and good luck with your mission. There are many people on this site that will be able to offer help in identifying suitable parts and repair techniques.

On the other hand, I would like your help. I'm going on a bit of a tangent here but perhaps your experience will help me and others.

My wife and I are considering an Interstate. We have an Airstream trailer and until recently we owned an Airstream B190 - the predecessor of the Interstate. So the help I need (and others too) is how to avoid the problems you have experienced. Some specific questions on my mind are:

What originally appealed to you about this particular van?

Had you looked at other Interstates for comparison?

What did the seller have to say about these modifications? Or, as your post implies, did the seller simply not say they had made these modifications?

Is there any indication why the modifications were made? Previous components were damaged?

Best wishes with your upgrades and improvements. I hope you'll take time to discuss the situation in more detail so we can learn from your experience.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
2012 Interstate Coach
Seats

Thank you for the replies. Yes, the seller, who is a dealer, will have to pay or meet us in court.
I will plan on the Novakool and the current model microwave then, which are about $1200 each as far as I can see plus installation. Seat belts for the rear should be easy.
My biggest concern are the second row seats, I am sure airstream will charge a lot for a new set and it is doubtful someone has a used set for sale except if someone takes theirs out to have more room for dog crates etc.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Did you not see your van prior to purchase?

Good luck getting it back in shape.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
You don't need to buy that expensive Sharp microwave drawer model. It wasn't used in 2012 anyway. Protagonist mentioned his. My 2013 Interstate has a Cuisinart CMW-200 that is still available and a lot cheaper than the Sharp drawer.
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CMW.../dp/B001C2J0FG

Most of the unique parts you listed will have to come from Airstream or someone selling used parts. The only part I think you could source from an auto parts store are the three rear lounge seatbelts. They are fairly generic.

I have removed several items from my Interstate and stored them away until I sell this thing in case the new owner wants to reinstall an items I removed.

Good luck with your search.

- - Mike

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
Too bad you can't contact the original owner. He might still have those seats tucked away in his shed.
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
If the microwave in the posted parts ist is the same one as yours, I see it on Amazon for $299. Not bad. And it is a handsome unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Convec...=1&*entries*=0
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Often sales are as is no warranty. Check your sales agreement. You may be out of luck unless the dealer misrepresented the product. You didn't look at the van before you bought it.?If not, that's a major mistake. Never buy an rv over the Internet.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
You can get seat belts here.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/?gclid=...FUI6gQodwEkMdA

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Northern Tool has seat belts w/ retractors that will work for the 2nd row seats.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lynch View Post
Too bad you can't contact the original owner. He might still have those seats tucked away in his shed.
OP said that his seller was a dealer. My guess is that the dealer stripped this Interstate in order to enhance another one and raise its price. So those seats are now in the other one, rather than in someone's shed.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
2012 Interstate Coach
update

Thank you for all the replies - will let you know how it goes. The dealer misrepresented the vehicle in writing and is a factory dealership for a major brand. For now I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake and they will fix it, and therefore won't post their name at this point.

Thank you for the seatbelt links.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
For now I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake and they will fix it, and therefore won't post their name at this point.
Shouldn't post their name regardless, due to Forum rules and regulations. Specifically, from the AirForums Community Rules:
Quote:
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties.
If someone wants to know the dealer's name, and you feel like telling them, please do it by private message, not on the public Forums.

I am not a moderator, and only tell you this because I'm interested in this thread— and most others about Airstream Interstates— and don't want to see the thread closed for rules violations before your problem is resolved one way or the other.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If the dealership misrepresented this in writing, they should be the ones locating and putting in the original parts.

Whenever would anyone remove seatbelts?

Maggie
Old 06-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
2012 Interstate Coach
seatbelts

Thank you for all the help.
I dont think there is a secure way to attach the upper point of a three way seat belt. Thats probably why airstream uses seats with the integrated belt. So I think I am out of luck on the second row seats short of getting real airstream seats. Waiting for a callback from the dealer to see what that runs.

I will keep the forum updated on how this goes.
Florian
Old 06-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I dont think there is a secure way to attach the upper point of a three way seat belt. Thats probably why airstream uses seats with the integrated belt. So I think I am out of luck on the second row seats short of getting real airstream seats. Waiting for a callback from the dealer to see what that runs.
If I remember correctly, the Airstream Interstate front and second-row seats are just reupholstered Sprinter seats, mounted on swivel bases. You might want to check with a Sprinter dealer to see if you can get seats through them.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Here are the part numbers for the base:
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote