Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
BluRay HDMI Switch

On the later model AI's with the BluRay player, has anyone had issues with the HDMI Switch. The switch in my friends 2015 doesn't seem to be working properly and were considering changing to a simpler 1x2 manual HDMI switch. Don't understand why Airstream installed the 4X2 switch anyway when they only use 3 HDMI ports.
Thanks
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
On the later model AI's with the BluRay player, has anyone had issues with the HDMI Switch. The switch in my friends 2015 doesn't seem to be working properly and were considering changing to a simpler 1x2 manual HDMI switch. Don't understand why Airstream installed the 4X2 switch anyway when they only use 3 HDMI ports.

Thanks

Unplug the power adapter from the side of the unit and plug it back in. This fixes most of my problems with this switch. Monoprice is actually a good brand for these switches. Nice to have the additional inputs available for things like streaming media players..
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Don't understand why Airstream installed the 4X2 switch anyway when they only use 3 HDMI ports.
Thanks
The extra port allows you to bring your own device, like Apple TV, Roku, etc. and use their streaming services to cast content onto the TVs. I use (abuse?) my AT&T unlimited data plan and new Weboost 4GX to stream my daughter's Scooby Doo episodes off our Amazon account from just about anywhere. Keeps her happy on the long trips, so I appreciate having it.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I did have problems with it and it was due to very stiff HDMI cable they were using. It had twisted and self-destructed, making intermittent connections. Replaced with an ultra soft, flat cable and solved the problem.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
I've also discovered that it won't switch to an input if it doesn't detect a signal. I hooked a new wii video game system up to ours and was frustrated it wouldn't switch to the input I had plugged it into, but as soon as I turned the video game system on I got it to switch over.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #7

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Sussex , Wisconsin
I have a 2016 GT, the stock HDMI switch (probably same as yours) caused problems with my Dish TV Wally Satellite receiver where the receiver wasn't sensing the TV's were on therefore wouldn't always start up - likely not enough power through the switch. Driving me nuts trying different cables. Finally, I replaced it with the same HDMI upgraded switch that comes with the 2017 AI, Monoprice 5312 4x2 True Matrix HDMI Switch from eBay for $65. No problems since then. Maybe uses slightly more power but worth it. Plus, if you have 2 TV's and multiple HDMI input, you'll want the matrix switching - satellite up front, DVD in back, etc...
PianoManVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
My friends are seniors and just want the ability to direct their BluRay output to either tv. We eliminated the Monoprice 4x2 switch and it's 5v transformer and replaced it with a Goronya Bi-directional 1x2 2x1 AB Switch (16 bucks on Amazon). This is as simple as it gets, one button operation to switch between tv's. We also replaced the braided HDMI cable at AMIRM's suggestion to eliminate one more possible problem area. Happy to report that everything now works as it should.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
My friends are seniors and just want the ability to direct their BluRay output to either tv. We eliminated the Monoprice 4x2 switch and it's 5v transformer and replaced it with a Goronya Bi-directional 1x2 2x1 AB Switch (16 bucks on Amazon). This is as simple as it gets, one button operation to switch between tv's. We also replaced the braided HDMI cable at AMIRM's suggestion to eliminate one more possible problem area. Happy to report that everything now works as it should.
Glad you got it sorted and good on ya for giving them a helping hand.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Does anyone have any recommendations of a 4X2 HDMI switch to swap out for a 1X2 factory standard switch that is on the fritz?
fogartjj is offline   Reply With Quote