Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
BlueTec emissions recall

Received my recall letter today. Recall involves new instrument cluster (why?), software update, new SCR catalyst and NOx sensors. Get an extended warranty (4 yrs, 48,000 miles) on many components. $3590 paid upon completion of the recall. DEF consumption is expected to rise, but they claim no other impacts. My current DEF consumption is 0.7% of fuel - rule of thumb is 2-3% of fuel. Can buy a lot of DEF for $3590 if there truly are no other negative impacts. 530 page consent decree if one wants more information.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:40 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Received my recall letter today. Recall involves new instrument cluster (why?), software update, new SCR catalyst and NOx sensors. Get an extended warranty (4 yrs, 48,000 miles) on many components. $3590 paid upon completion of the recall. DEF consumption is expected to rise, but they claim no other impacts. My current DEF consumption is 0.7% of fuel - rule of thumb is 2-3% of fuel. Can buy a lot of DEF for $3590 if there truly are no other negative impacts. 530 page consent decree if one wants more information.
Glad you figured out what that thick package said. I was confused but to my defense I had been working on rewiring the AI so my mind was scrambled trying to figure out what Airstream did!
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Sweet

I got a package too
I'm not generally in favor of class action lawsuits, but this one is different
A bunch of government tomfoolery and incompetent engineering cost a lot of people a lot of money and a lot of effort
I may have been particularly hard hit but I've been a real whiner on this forum. The NOx issue is a fraud.
I'm finally happy to get the problem fixed and to get some compensation for my past spending and time.
I actually have another check engine light on right now for a bad emissions sensor
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
CANON CITY , Colorado
Got my letter last week, called for a appointment soonest is April 24th. Will have to drive approximately 100 miles one way to a Mercedes Benz Sprinter repair facility. They say I should plan to spend a day for the modification, plus the air bag recall. So, lm going to do it. Must be done to get the Class Action Settlement money. Lol
Blazeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Don't forget to have the wheel speed sensor replacement done too.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Dropped off our 2011 Interstate at the MB dealer for the Bluetec “Emission Modification” last Sunday. I didn’t hear back all week so I called. The service manager said that Mercedes had notified them to stop doing the software updates on the 2011’s because some owners were coming back with the vans in “Limp Home Mode”. Not sure if I want to go through with it now so I might leave the $3K class action check on the table since it is contingent on doing the recall update. Anyone else getting this news?
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:12 AM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
BlueTec emissions recall

We picked up our 2016 yesterday after the MB dealer finished the emissions recall, and we filed our paperwork last night.

On the way home the van ran fine, seemed to perform at least as well as before, If not better. Very pleased to have the extended emissions warranty that was part of the settlement. We'll need to drive it more before we can reach any conclusion on whether fuel efficiency has changed. Cost to us was zero. Settlement paperwork was pretty extensive because of the number of documents they demand to prove that you are you, that you own and have registered the vehicle, that you have signed a copy of their release form, and that you had the repair done. Fortunately, we had all the documents, and we have a good scanner.

Did not notice any differences in the instrument cluster, though that was supposedly changed as well.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Dropped off our 2011 Interstate at the MB dealer for the Bluetec “Emission Modification” last Sunday. I didn’t hear back all week so I called. The service manager said that Mercedes had notified them to stop doing the software updates on the 2011’s because some owners were coming back with the vans in “Limp Home Mode”. Not sure if I want to go through with it now so I might leave the $3K class action check on the table since it is contingent on doing the recall update. Anyone else getting this news?
Update:
The service manager called and said MB engineering has fixed the issue with 2011 models. The fuel line water sensor in that model year is different than the newer models. After the software upgrade the 2011 Sprinter van computers were giving a false warning of water in the fuel. I reluctantly agreed to go ahead with the emissions modification, which will include a new SCR, Nox sensors, and extended warranty on some emission components. Our bus has been relatively trouble free so the “don’t fix it if it ain’t broke” rule is in play here. We’ll see...
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I have been reading horror stories on the Sprinter forum, water in fuel error code being one of them. I think I'll wait a while and let others work out the bugs. The warranty extension is of more interest to me than the $. I don't mind a bit of an increase in DEF consumption, but would hate to see it doubled (or more). Only once, on our 9000 miles trip to AK, did I add DEF during a trip. Even then I probably didn't have to, but didn't want to trigger the starts-remaining count-down.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
My 2013 goes in next week...fingers crossed. Long trip scheduled for mid May so I’m going to drive as much as possible before we head out.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Titus,
What about wheel speed sensor you said above needs tobe repkaced
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
CANON CITY , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Titus,
What about wheel speed sensor you said above needs tobe repkaced
My van goes in for this tomorrow, they said they don’t have the fix for the speed sensor as of yet.
Blazeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Was driving Route 66 the last couple of weeks and the dashboard lit up with the litany of WSS error messages. It happened during severe crosswinds. Was near Flagstaff so stopped at the MB dealer. Problems went away when I shut off and restarted, and service manager guessed is was caused by the crosswind. Guess so, since no problem in the next 4000 miles. But while there he confirmed that the parts are not yet available.

Just called the nearest MB dealer and they are booked until June for doing the emissions modification. He objected to me calling it a recall. He said it was done in response to a class action lawsuit. Maybe, but there are several hundred pages of stuff signed by MB, EPA, and CARB.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Spring , TX
We bought our 2012 Airstream Intestate last October. A law firm contacted us telling us not to accept the class action law suit, because, in the past, some people have complaint about issues with their cars after being "fixed" by the Manufacturer, that was the case with Wolkswagen. Any feed back on this?
Viajero2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #15
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajero2020 View Post
We bought our 2012 Airstream Intestate last October. A law firm contacted us telling us not to accept the class action law suit, because, in the past, some people have complaint about issues with their cars after being "fixed" by the Manufacturer, that was the case with Wolkswagen. Any feed back on this?
I would be leery, law firms don't send out letters to give free advice, they want in on the money. As far as VW, I am 100% happy with the emissions mods they did on my 2015 TDI and more than happy with the 11 year, 162,000 mile emissions warranty that was included.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #16

1997 32' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Paso Robles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajero2020 View Post
Unless you have the recall performed you will not be able to renew the registration on your RV. In 2015, Congress passed the RECALL Act which precludes State DMVs from issuing a registration to a vehicle with open safety or emissions recalls.

As far as the cash settlement portion, You can decide for your yourself whether to sign the class action settlement and take the money (and the extended powertrain warranty). Or not sign the settlement and reserve the right to sue the Manufacturer on your own.
Acutterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I had the transmission fluid changed at a private shop. ~$300 parts and labor.
Per the mechanic: There is no dipstick. You fill it until fluid runs out of the fill hole. Then you start the engine and bring the transmission up to a specified temperature (with a thermocouple in the fill hole I assume). As the fluid warms up it expands and runs out the fill hole. When it is at the specified temperature you put the plug back in. Rube Goldberg would love that design!

He charged $100 to change the fuel filter. I supplied the filter (~$150 as I recall), as I always carry a spare with me. They say to always change the TC inlet ring. I did, though the old one seemed good and pliable.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #18
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I had the transmission fluid changed at a private shop. ~$300 parts and labor.
Per the mechanic: There is no dipstick. You fill it until fluid runs out of the fill hole. Then you start the engine and bring the transmission up to a specified temperature (with a thermocouple in the fill hole I assume). As the fluid warms up it expands and runs out the fill hole. When it is at the specified temperature you put the plug back in. Rube Goldberg would love that design!

He charged $100 to change the fuel filter. I supplied the filter (~$150 as I recall), as I always carry a spare with me. They say to always change the TC inlet ring. I did, though the old one seemed good and pliable.
The temperature is checked with a scan tool and will only report when in gear. There is a stand pipe in the pan that sets the level which is the case with other German cars as well and is very accurate. None of it is designed for a typical owner to maintain. The issue with the turbo inlet seal is that it could get damaged during re-installation and if a piece breaks off and gets sucked in you can kiss the turbo goodbye. The recommendation was made because there is no way to say how pliable the seal remains over time so MB just says change it every time. I think this could be taken with a grain of salt as some will change filters often while others may not drive many miles and it may be years between changes, allowing the seal to become less pliable.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:09 AM   #19

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hampton , Virginia
Emissions recall

Hello,
In March of this year (2021) my local MB dealer completed the emissions recall work on our 2016 Interstate. All went smoothly and relatively quickly as the van was in their possession just over the course of one night. We got on the road from VA to Florida in early April and the vehicle has been great. I do think my MPG has been effected in a negative way it seems. So far, over about 1,500 miles of driving since the recall work I'm averaging in the mid 15's...(15.4 to 15.7 mpg) where as on previous trips I'd routinely see MPGs in the high 16's low 17's on the same flat, low altitude interstates like I-95 down to Florida. And this is with minimal head winds. Not that big of a hit, but noticeable to me. DEF consumption seems not that different than before.
GVIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #20
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
GVIslander, welcome to the forum!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote