Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Apparently throwing codes of out of range exhaust temps is considered by the manufacturer as non-failure. Doesn't do any good to argue with them. I have been down that road many times in recent decades, ever since MB stopped doing pro-active mods... and mostly with diesel sensors. They insist a part must "FAIL", and we have to live with their definition of it.

The point I am making about the AEM is that it goes well beyond the replacement of certain parts included in the kit (this sensor is not one of them), and that once done, the new warranty essentially covers the ENTIRE exhaust system. Well worth the investment in your time and inconvenience to get it done.

The class action settlement helps to reduce the pain AND the perceived devaluation of these vehicles. But the warranty is well worth it considering there are so many things that can wrong with these vehicles, and I have already experienced most of them... 2014 E-250 Bluetec, 2014 Sprinter 3500 Bluetec, and now these two (not to mention a 2006 E320 CDI). Maybe I am the fool for going back to MB for vehicles, but I've got three sitting in my driveway that I absolutely love, a 2021 GLB 250, 2016 E-350 4matic wagon, and a 2020 GLS 450. I am just betting, and obviously taking the risk, that the dealers accept the vehicles under the recall warranty for future repairs... so far so good on that count.

Not the least bit concerned with the DEF consumption or perceived mileage effects. The GLK in question just got 40 MPG on a jaunt through the Central Valley. The GL is getting 32+ on the highway. And besides, when we bought Diesels, it was with the expectation that there was some upkeep required, and in exchange a more economical vehicle... AND that the systems would in fact operate as advertised and reduce not only CO2 emissions, but reduce NOx as well. More than happy to stop at Walmart for a jug of DEF once in awhile in order to have the privilege of owning one.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
and by the way, those of us who had the 2014 Sprinter conversions know full well what needed to be done years ago. But my worst experience with the 2014 diesel was with the E-250. It started throwing codes and the dealers were not well equipped to handle the repairs.. many cases of them using outdated software to diagnose the problem... my favorite was the "crimped DEF line"... which was simply WRONG. I had to take my sedan back three times before they got it right. I knew darn well which sensor it was that was failing, from my research on the MBWORLD forums, yet they had to take the codes in sequence and once they did one, another would surface. They finally got it right. And yes, we got the dreaded ten starts countdown in the middle of a roadtrip to NJ... Fortunately the dealer in Cherry Hill could see that the previous repair, which included a software install, had been incomplete. They did not get to the root cause, but rather another software update at least got us past the dreaded countdown, albeit with a CEL for the rest of the trip. That car was repaired under the original warranty and was a good performer up until it got totaled last summer in California.

Per the Sprinter conversion vans, I got rid of my 2014 Roadtrek before it needed any repair, and went back to Trailering. I really thought we had gotten past this BS when we bought the 2015 GLK last month, as that model (2014-2015 GLK 250) had been notoriously troublesome. Lots of bad sensors out there, and still are apparently. One thing for sure, I would not buy another that was not eligible for the recall, and soon, once the settlement expiration occurs, one that has not had the recall work done. Its a great way to devalue your vehicle by not having the AEM done..

I had been shopping for bluetecs that had not had the repair done so I could collect the settlement, but that window of opportunity is rapidly closing. Most used car dealers are going ahead with the mod as it appears on a carfax as an open recall. AND they are eligible to collect the settlement too!
Old 07-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
An update from the dealer. The Vehicle is still failing SMOG. The part that was throwing codes has now failed completely so they are going to repair it next week under the new warranty. If we had not had the AEM done, this would have not had a warranty (the vehicle has 56K miles on it), and would have cost us over $2K. Not only are we able to participate in the class action, we also saved ourselves that much by getting the AEM done and getting an all inclusive exhaust system warranty. Do what you like, but to me, it's a no-brainer.

I believe the selling dealer (a Toyota shop) had reset the original OBD code to hide it, knowing it was not warranted. They were clueless about the recall, or at least claimed to be. But you can't hide this sort of thing from CARB as it remains in memory until actually fixed and cleared. It is the first step in the SMOG process, followed by a tailpipe test on the Dynamometer.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Just going to add a disclaimer I just thought of. We did have our NOX system replaced last year due to failure. I’m now wondering if the reprogramming they did at that time is different than all of you due to the system replacements. I that could have explained the odd mileage we had after our AEM. If we are the only owners having that kind of terrible mileage temporarily, I think it could be a reason why. Doesn’t sound like anyone else is seeing the temporary MPG issue like we did. Hope we end up being the only case.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:29 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Our GLK has passed SMOG in California.

The Class Action suit has received Final Approval from the Judge effective 7/12. You may no longer apply to be part of the settlement.

The AEM Recall remains in effect and all affected vehicles will still be eligible for the repair free of charge. It may show up on your CARFAX as an open Recall.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Got the AEM done today. Noticed it staying in second gear longer and it seemed to have stronger acceleration when increasing speed by way of bumping up the cruise control. I expect it to revert back to previous behavior once it re-learns/adapts. Like others, I now have the cruise-engaged speed showing where the clock used to be.
They replaced two canisters downstream the DPF (SCR and DOC?) with a single canister.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:21 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Our GLK has passed SMOG in California.

The Class Action suit has received Final Approval from the Judge effective 7/12. You may no longer apply to be part of the settlement.

The AEM Recall remains in effect and all affected vehicles will still be eligible for the repair free of charge. It may show up on your CARFAX as an open Recall.
So are you saying 1) you cannot opt out of the class settlement or 2) those of us waiting in line for the service, a prerequisite of monetary settlement, can no longer apply for that after service?
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:22 AM   #108
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler56 View Post
So are you saying 1) you cannot opt out of the class settlement or 2) those of us waiting in line for the service, a prerequisite of monetary settlement, can no longer apply for that after service?
7/12/2021 was the deadline for any previous owners to file a claim for compensation. Current owners have until 10/2/2022 to file their claim.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:50 AM   #109
Rivet Master

We have 2016 4X4 passenger van and had AEM done May 10th. Noticed quite an “off the block” lag, to the point with small utility trailer being towed to dump, i had to mash throttle to floor to get moving. This is our primary tow vehicle, and now concerned about long term towing performance. Im regretting having the recal done since Colorado doesnt test for noxious gasses, but how thin or dense your exhaust cloud is
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:50 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
We did a two step application/filing. The first was to register the VIN. Later, after we had the AEM performed we filed the requisite paperwork on the repair for the claim including proof of ownership. Since you had to opt out to sue separately, I would suppose anyone is by default, still included in the class.
Former owners can no longer apply as of 7/12. Sorry for the confusion (I was going off what my wife, who handled the transaction, was telling me...)

The specific verbiage is as follows.

Deadline to Complete the AEM and Submit a Claim.

Current Owners/Lessees:
If you are a current owner or lessee of a Registered Subject Vehicle and have not opted-out from the Class, you can receive a payment after the AEM installation is completed. To receive a payment, you must submit a Valid Claim by October 1, 2022. If you do not install the AEM by this date, you will not receive a payment, but the AEM will still be available after October 1, 2022. For more details, see bluetecupdate.mbusa.com (if you own or lease a passenger car), bluetecupdate.mbvans.com (if you own or lease a Mercedes-Benz-branded Sprinter), or bluetecupdate.freightlinersprinterusa.com (if you own or lease a Freightliner-branded Sprinter).
Old 07-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #111
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
No problem TOMZSTREAM I thought I might have missed something. Heck all my wife did was bring the recall letter in from the mailbox and say “you got something on your van”…
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I found a site from a law firm advocating that I opt out. Not sure why - I suspect that firm thought they could get us a better deal. Called the firm (Detroit area I think), but never got a call back. I decided to go ahead with the AEM and the current settlement $. Creative of EPA to require the AEM in order to get the settlement dollar.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Payment

We had the AEM done on 4/21/21. Legal paperwork turned in a week later. No payment received to date. My one call to the settlement hotline was not very informative as they provide no real answers to my question about forth coming settlement payment. Has anyone received their settlement yet? If so, please post up when you had the AEM done and when you received your settlement. Impatiently waiting for settlement so I will never have to deal with Mercedes anytime soon. I previously have documented the MB AEM fiasco I have had to contend with. (Posts, 39,60,63 of this thread)
Old 07-19-2021, 04:45 AM   #114
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Final approval on the suit’s monetary portion was approved about a week ago so we must be patient. We got our work done in April with all paperwork submitted early May. Nothing yet. I’ll post when we get the settlement.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #115
2 Rivet Member

Bennington , New Hampshire
As they saying goes; "..... let a sleeping dog sleep"

Had my AEM done three weeks ago. Just after a few days when I got the vehicle back and a few days of driving the "Service B due in xx miles" came on. At the same time the "check engine" light also did not go out. I figured those two were related. Now two weeks later, service done and system reset, ......."check engine light" still on. Time ton hook up the MB II diagnostic scanner; SCR Selective Catalytic Reduction Fault: 20be1b. Well, wasn't the SCR system just replaced? What a coincidence.

I little bit of code research and a call to the dealer points to a "Heater element for ad blue tank has a Malfunction".

I am livid, .......this is a repair just short of $2,000 and they want me to pay for it? Something that worked just fine until SCR parts were installed and the ECM was re-programmed. This is an Emission issue and should be covered under the extended warranty!

I try to be a good steward of the environment, though I'm really having second thoughts about having had this work done.
Sailfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #116
2 Rivet Member

Bennington , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfast View Post
SCR Selective Catalytic Reduction Fault: 20be1b. Well, wasn't the SCR system just replaced? What a coincidence.

After a discussion with the Service Dept. for the MB dealership that did the AME, the mgr. did surmise the software update may have changed a few things not detected before. I think some sensor parameters were tightened and now after the AEM start to show issues, especially on older models, but we'll never know exactly. And yes, the replacement of the DEF tank heater can, parts and labor, incl. removal of the electric door step (to get to the tank) will be covered under the extended warranty.

Kudos to the Mercedes Benz of New Hampshire team!

They even gave me a loaner for a day since the repair will take a few hours.

Fixed and all good.
Sailfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Right answer
Old 07-26-2021, 06:31 AM   #118
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Glad you had a good experience. Use of a loaner vehicle was a requirement of the settlement if the repair took over a certain amount of time. Also, dealers are compensated for all this so they should provide excellent service.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:40 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Yes, and I got the distinct impression that MBUSA is impressing upon the dealers to provide that level of service in an apparent campaign to put this dieselgate thing behind them. My shop seems happy to have the work, as I believe the pandemic has cut into their business somewhat (either that or the fact that they cut back on the service amenities like the omelet bar! lol).

Just picked up one more Bluetec, this time a 2014 E250 to replace the one that was totaled a year ago. Bought from Carvana and before doing so, checked the VIN to make sure it still qualified for the settlement payment. Will be taking it down to my local dealer for the recall, this being the third that they will fix for me. The other two (2015 GLK250 and 2013 GL320) are now happily registered in California. I'll be keeping this one for the time being. Love that it gets close to 50MPG, and curious to see if it retains that performance.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:22 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Not quite a requirement for a loaner - says to provide a loaner if available. The reimbursement form asks if a loaner or shuttle vehicle was available.