Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
BUTLER , Pennsylvania
Black water tank

I HAVE A 2014 INTERSTATE. I CANNOT EMPTY MY BLACK WATER TANK. I CAN HEAR THE VALVE OPEN THE LIGHT COMES ON, HOWEVER WHEN I TRY TO PUMP NOTHING COMES OUT. I RARELY PUT SOLIDS IN EXCEPT FOR TOILET PAPER. MY GRAY WATER SIDE WORKS FINE. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH MY DILEMMA
BOBCONEYBEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
First, drive. out to the loneliest spot you can find and dig a big hole. Then start taking stuff apart....
Old 09-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCONEYBEER View Post
I HAVE A 2014 INTERSTATE. I CANNOT EMPTY MY BLACK WATER TANK. I CAN HEAR THE VALVE OPEN THE LIGHT COMES ON, HOWEVER WHEN I TRY TO PUMP NOTHING COMES OUT. I RARELY PUT SOLIDS IN EXCEPT FOR TOILET PAPER. MY GRAY WATER SIDE WORKS FINE. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH MY DILEMMA
So, you can confirm there is still liquid in the tank before you open the valve? If so, you should be able to hear it gurgle in the 3" line after you open the valve. If you can't hear that then the valve is not opening. It is in warranty, let the dealer fix it. If you want to try you can manually open the valve.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
BUTLER , Pennsylvania
Can you manually open the valve
BOBCONEYBEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCONEYBEER View Post
Can you manually open the valve
Here's a thread that talks about this issue:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...108588-3.html#

You should be able to find the pdf file for the valves you have on that thread, and it will tell you how to manually open them. If the light is not on at the panel where the switch is located, then likely it is not open. I'd check the power first to be sure it actually is not responding.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A question in aid of troubleshooting, just how full is the black tank? I ask because if the black tank isn't very full, then that could be part of your problem. The tanks are very susceptible to being out-of-level, and can be hard to empty if the van is tilted the wrong way.

Look under the van, and see which side of the black tank has the discharge valve. Then elevate the van on the opposite side. On my 2012, a couple of leveling blocks under the passenger side to elevate it does wonders for tank drainage.

That's assuming that the indicator light isn't lying to you and the valve actually is open.

Side note, you must have the gray valve closed completely in order to open the black valve. There's an interlock to prevent both being open at once. So also verify that the gray valve is closed.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
A question in aid of troubleshooting, just how full is the black tank? I ask because if the black tank isn't very full, then that could be part of your problem. The tanks are very susceptible to being out-of-level, and can be hard to empty if the van is tilted the wrong way.

Look under the van, and see which side of the black tank has the discharge valve. Then elevate the van on the opposite side. On my 2012, a couple of leveling blocks under the passenger side to elevate it does wonders for tank drainage.

That's assuming that the indicator light isn't lying to you and the valve actually is open.

Side note, you must have the gray valve closed completely in order to open the black valve. There's an interlock to prevent both being open at once. So also verify that the gray valve is closed.
Here's a link to the manual if you have the same type:

https://www.barkermfg.com/uploads/5/...auto-drain.pdf

Protag, there's no interlink on mine. Both valves can be opened, and actually, I do that almost every time I dump. I first empty the black tank, and run the flush hose to flush it out while I do so. When it finally empties, I leave it open, and continue to flush it while dumping the grey tank. After the grey tank is empty, I close the black tank valve, and let it fill with some water for a bit, then turn off the water, and close the grey valve.

Never had any issues doing it this way. The black tank gets cleaned, it has some water in it to start doing its job next time we need it, and both tanks are ready to go.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Thanks for the link. My memory may be faulty (it often is) but I'm virtually certain that on my 2012, the last time I tried to open the gray valve with the black valve still open, it didn't work. I had to close the black valve first.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Rock Hall , Maryland
Could someone direct me to the tread on routing the backup camera into the Kenwood. I so dislike the Pyle display.
GloryBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Rock Hall , Maryland
Sorry for the post I'll redo it as a new thread
GloryBound is offline   Reply With Quote