Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Black Tank Valve Not Turning on

Hey all, been awhile. I sold my 2018 AI and getting it ready today to hand over this week. Lo and behold (and of course with my luck) upon going to empty the tanks I discovered the black valve is not turning on. Grey valve does turn on and works fine. Macerator functions.

Especially frustrating as I took it to Colonial for issues with the black tank twice now, including in November, when they said they fixed it all. Have not used the rig since.

Any ideas? I am desperate given I have two days left before handing this over and am panicked that I am going to lose this sale should I not be able to get it fixed in time.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
This may not be it but here is something that happened to me last summer (while I was in the Yukon). If you cannot hear the actuator at all when you try to open the black tank it could be a fuse, or it could be the relay inside the AI which has failed. It is a common automotive solenoid (at least that's what my dealer replaced it with when I got back home).
I was able to open the valve "manually", by crawling underneath and detaching the wires going to the black tank valve and then with a 12 volt source (I had a jumper battery) I jumpered into the the actuator and it opened, reverse the wires and it closes. Others might say you can mechanically disconnect the actuator and move it by hand; I found that not to be a viable option. I neither had the right tools and it was very difficult to even get to.
I'm not certain where the solenoid (relay) is but I believe it is near the fuses, inverter, solar charge controller, etc. I was told this was a very common failure by the mechanic at the dealership.
Again check fuses first. If you find the solenoid I'm sure you can find a replacement at any auto parts store. Also since there are two, A quick check is switch them out. If the black tank valves open then you know it was a bad relay. Buy two new ones and replace both, it will be quicker than figuring out which is which and which one is bad.
Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
Hey all, been awhile. I sold my 2018 AI and getting it ready today to hand over this week. Lo and behold (and of course with my luck) upon going to empty the tanks I discovered the black valve is not turning on. Grey valve does turn on and works fine. Macerator functions.

Especially frustrating as I took it to Colonial for issues with the black tank twice now, including in November, when they said they fixed it all. Have not used the rig since.

Any ideas? I am desperate given I have two days left before handing this over and am panicked that I am going to lose this sale should I not be able to get it fixed in time.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
On my 2013 ext the relays are behind the external switches for the valves, macerator, hose reel. Take out the 4 screws in the panel and there they are.

Here is a picture. Cheap on Amazon if that is what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3749417F-1667-4027-AEC3-AFDBF578D08B.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	367648  
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
On mine the relays are sitting to the front side of the rear road side wheel wells. (At least I think those are the relays.) Once you find the relays simply swap them and see if the black works and grey doesn't.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
On my 2013 ext the relays are behind the external switches for the valves, macerator, hose reel. Take out the 4 screws in the panel and there they are.

Here is a picture. Cheap on Amazon if that is what you need.
Thanks so much for this...

I unscrewed the external panel and apparently a lot changed from yours. Nothing like in your photo there and just a series of plugs from all the connections. If that's the secret I am damned where to find it.

Pulling my hair out. And I don't have much left.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
On mine the relays are sitting to the front side of the rear road side wheel wells. (At least I think those are the relays.) Once you find the relays simply swap them and see if the black works and grey doesn't.
I looked there for the relays and nothing I can find like yours. Thanks though.

Where are those relays! lol.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
I'm not certain where the solenoid (relay) is but I believe it is near the fuses, inverter, solar charge controller, etc. I was told this was a very common failure by the mechanic at the dealership.
Again check fuses first. If you find the solenoid I'm sure you can find a replacement at any auto parts store. Also since there are two, A quick check is switch them out. If the black tank valves open then you know it was a bad relay. Buy two new ones and replace both, it will be quicker than figuring out which is which and which one is bad.
Good Luck!
I can't find it at all. I am sure as well that's what it is. Where is this relay?? The mystery of the year, lol.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Eyechip

Did you pull the wires out? They are kinda stuck back in there.

Tim
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Just an update:

Got to the Relay today (had to take apart the entire seat to get to them) and it was not the problem. Both worked on the Grey but none worked on the Black.

Luckily, I guess, Colonial is squeezing me in tomorrow morning first thing. Up at 5AM to schlep up to Jersey. Good thing the weather looks ok as I have to sit outside on a camp chair for probably six hours (no one allowed inside). They require 4 hours to disinfect the entire unit for Covid19 and a few hours to replace the valve. Glad they have it in stock!

Then drive back to DC tomorrow night and deliver to Southern Virginia on Wednesday morning. Quite a whirlwind!

Thanks everyone for the help and I can say now that my final deed (fingers crossed) on the Black Stallion was taking apart the jump seat and getting into the electrical guts.

Many thanks to Alex who has been incredible helping me both before and today. He got on the phone and walked me through a lot in checking the Relay. What a gentleman!
Old 05-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

At Colonial now and turns out in the end it was the motor for the black valve. Of course not under warranty as it's "not airstream." Cost=$500.00