Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Black Tank Flush weirdness.

On a 2017 GT: On last stop returning from a long trip we decided to give the "Black Tank Flush" a try. Followed directions to hook up a garden hose to the connector inside the dump access door and turn on. (Black tank already emptied by usual macerator pump.) Immediately water (fresh, we are sure) began dripping out along the bottom edge of the van to the left (cab-ways) of the access door. Aborted the action and then flushed the black tank a couple more times the usual way.

Later noted clean water inside van, running out over floor emerging from underneath furnace and refrigerator. I'm guessing the initial flow of water pooled and caught somewhere, and is now escaping as the van is driven.

Any ideas?

On a side note, I later noticed a warning inside the dump access door:

This properly scared me, since I had no idea what a "fullway valve" is. After googling, found out it is just the black water valve by a different name, and the warning is a CYA in case some idiot leaves the hose connected and filling and wanders off to make dinner.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might check your owners manual for troubleshooting, also call the service department at your dealership.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 06-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
The black tank flush does not have an inline shore water pressure reducer.
It has been noted from the TT side that the anti syphon valve will blow and flow water into your rig. There are posts on replacing these with stronger other than plastic valves.

I slowly open the shore water valve and listen for the end of air bubbles traveling thru the hose, then slowly open shore water fully.

I think it is the high pressure hit of those air bubbles with the shore water full on that pops the syphon valve.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I also had to look up fullway termination valve and when I learnt what it is, I felt like that sticker had played a joke on me.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
The black tank flush does not have an inline shore water pressure reducer.
It has been noted from the TT side that the anti syphon valve will blow and flow water into your rig. There are posts on replacing these with stronger other than plastic valves.

I slowly open the shore water valve and listen for the end of air bubbles traveling thru the hose, then slowly open shore water fully.

I think it is the high pressure hit of those air bubbles with the shore water full on that pops the syphon valve.
Thanks! Is that a temporary "pop" that goes back to normal when the pressure is removed, or have I permanently popped something open or broken it?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The black tank flush has a valve to prevent black water from escaping out the hose and causing contamination. My guess is that valve has been installed backwards. Airstream is noted for making errors like this.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
I dropped it off at the service center today. The service manager seemed familiar with the problem. We'll see what happens.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
I also had to look up fullway termination valve and when I learnt what it is, I felt like that sticker had played a joke on me.
It's right next to the Turbo Encabulator.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
New Bern , North Carolina
I had the same problem. The check valve in the flush line from the hose to the black water tank was cracked. Probably from freezing. It's located behind the microwave. Good luck!
Prairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I removed my backflow valve. I have a fitting with a shut-off at the end of the hose. I turn on the water then connect the hose to the Interstate, then open the valve to flush the black tank. Then I shut the valve and disconnect the hose. Thus, I have a manual anti-backflow approach that does not freeze, crack, and flood the interior.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Black Tank Flush weirdness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I removed my backflow valve. I have a fitting with a shut-off at the end of the hose. I turn on the water then connect the hose to the Interstate, then open the valve to flush the black tank. Then I shut the valve and disconnect the hose. Thus, I have a manual anti-backflow approach that does not freeze, crack, and flood the interior.

Great solution! Thanks.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #12
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Three things I've learned on this front:

1) there is no pressure regulator on the black tank flush inlet, so high pressure is a good way to blow the valve.

2) Winterizing procedures seem to ignore the black tank flush system, so many problems seem to be a result of freezing.

3) in my case (i had a similar problem in my trailer) i opened up the access to find that the black tank flush connection to the interior plumbing had not been screwed on -- it was completely loose. Tightened it and it seems fine now.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #13

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Tualatin , Oregon
Had the same problem with our 2016. Dealer repair tech said the plastic valve blew out so they replaced it with a better metal part. The same thing happened the next time we were out. Turns out they INSTALLED IT BACKWARDS and never bothered to test it (although they claimed they did). Don't know yet what the long term result will be having water covering our floor now multiple times.
mssciteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #14
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
BTW... I did some black tank flushing this morning and it was quite rewarding. I'd be willing to bet I had the cleanest black tank in the whole campground
Old 07-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
It's right next to the Turbo Encabulator.

Notice how he keeps a 'straight face' during his delivery??
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
The 'Turbo-Encabulator' influences the 'Riostatiscope' that attached to the 'Fritzonaires.". It's purpose is to influence the 'Riostatiscope' to 'Taselate' the action of the 'Gizmofreeny'!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Great solution! Thanks.
Just so I understand correctly, there is a backflow preventer in the line which keeps the bio hazard materials from traveling back down the line to the water connection point and cap, you've removed it because you installed a shut off valve on your hose (don't they all have shut off valves, you know the handle) so now any splash or overflow that makes it into the line is sitting there waiting for you to remove the cap and connect your hose?
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Just so I understand correctly, there is a backflow preventer in the line which keeps the bio hazard materials from traveling back down the line to the water connection point and cap, you've removed it because you installed a shut off valve on your hose (don't they all have shut off valves, you know the handle) so now any splash or overflow that makes it into the line is sitting there waiting for you to remove the cap and connect your hose?
He has a shutoff valve on the end of the hose that he has connected to the black water flush connection. He shuts off the water before disconnecting the hose thereby preventing any contamination of the water in the hose.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
As a follow up, I had a similar problem with a 25FB that was new. Turns out the factory crimped one of two crimps on the elbow so water poured into the pan plus under the shower. Wasn't a valve problem but a simple quality control one.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #20
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
On this subject: how many of you use a dedicated hose for black tank flushing... vs just using your fresh water hose?