Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
escondido , California
Thumbs up Black Tank Flush Valve Repair

I have a 2016 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour. Over the summer, I had an issue with the black tank flush valve not admitting water to the black tank. Originally, the back-flow preventer and check-valve were installed backwards. This was replaced by an AS dealer on a goodwill from AS. Less than a year later, it failed again. I made several attempts over several months to dissolve, dislodge or breakdown any sludge that was in the tank to prevent water flow. Nothing worked. I decided to dig deeper. I found that othershad discovered failed check valve or debris preventing them from working properly. I contacted AS customer service and they gave me good information on where to find the check valve. I decided that I would replace the check valve with a brass shark bite device that I purchased from HD. Access was gained by removing the freezer. I removed the gray check valve to inspect. I found the internal plunger type valve was in two pieces. There was no debris. I reassembled the valve and reinstalled. IT WORKED but there was no way I was putting that POS back in. I removed the check valve again and removed the valve internals. It is now just the equivalent of a pipe nipple. I cut the white PEX tubing after the elbow and installed the new valve. See pictures of new installation and the pieces I found. I could have eliminated the gray part by using additional adapters but by using only the one shark bite part, I reduced costs by not have two shark bite adapters on either side of the valve. Pretty simple and I am hopeful that the shark bite part will never fail. [ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	check valve.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	358481[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check valve repair.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	358479   Click image for larger version

Name:	check valve internal.jpg
Views:	25