Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Bristol , Vermont
bike/cargo combo rack - rear cargo door window replacement

Can anyone recommend a combination bike/cargo two hitch rack for a Sprinter Airstream Interstate?

Also, has anyone replaced the rear cargo door windows (2006 Dodge Airstream Interstate Motorhome) with Peninsula Glass's replacement windows that slide open? How do they fit and was the mod easy? Any leaks after the mod?

Thanks!
Donna Foxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
(1) No, and my suspicion is that you'd need to have something like that custom made. My husband and I did exactly that to get hitch carrier that fits our needs (blog post here). We did ours on a single receiver because we pared down the design sufficiently so that it didn't weigh too much and it wasn't bulky.

(2) I've thought about replacing the rear windows but it falls into the category of it ain't broke so I haven't fixed it. I'd like to have them but it's down lower on my priority list. Others on this forum have asked about them but I'm unaware of any Interstate owner who has done it. You may find some DIY examples if you research Sprinter Forum. And if you do the job on your rig, please post pics here - I'd love to see an example of it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #3

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
1up-USA.com
Flying tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0512.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	314077
I could not find anything that met my needs, so I built this.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
That's a beautiful creation above.

FYI for to everyone interested in this topic, there's a humdinger of a thread on Class B Forum (here) right now where the topic of rear bike mounts is being discussed in detail, including some factors that have not necessarily been as thoroughly covered on any Air Forums B Van bike thread that I've seen to date. For instance, the potential to induce rear sway or bounce, and warranty voidance associated with certain models of racks. People are trying to dig deeply into the issues.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
Attachment 314077
3BCAMPER - Nice job! How far does tandem stick out on either side of AI? We got a warning when we transported our tandem behind our minivan the same way. But our minivan is also narrower than AI. My fix was to remove front & rear wheels & recenter fork mount so it barely sticks out. I also kept the majority of excess width on C/S and not R/S to be less conspicuous to law enforcement coming from either side of road.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
3BCAMPER - Nice job! How far does tandem stick out on either side of AI? We got a warning when we transported our tandem behind our minivan the same way. But our minivan is also narrower than AI. My fix was to remove front & rear wheels & recenter fork mount so it barely sticks out. I also kept the majority of excess width on C/S and not R/S to be less conspicuous to law enforcement coming from either side of road.

The overhang for a tandem is always a challenge for perpendicularly mounted bike racks. The wind wants to twist and turn it. When we had smaller vehicles, we solved that also by removing the wheels when transporting. With the setup I have here on the Interstate, the amount of overhang is minimal. Iíll take pictures and post them next time we have the tandem mounted.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
That is awesome.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
The overhang for a tandem is always a challenge for perpendicularly mounted bike racks. The wind wants to twist and turn it. When we had smaller vehicles, we solved that also by removing the wheels when transporting. With the setup I have here on the Interstate, the amount of overhang is minimal. Iíll take pictures and post them next time we have the tandem mounted.
Cool. Nice custom paint job on tandem. Can't really figure out your fork, but looks similar to my Wound Up X ? and looks like you have a Da Vinci frame ?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Cool. Nice custom paint job on tandem. Can't really figure out your fork, but looks similar to my Wound Up X ? and looks like you have a Da Vinci frame ?

You are correct on both! We had this made in fall of 2015. We needed a medium-medium, and it seems all off-the-shelf tandems large or extra-large/small. Plus the independent pedaling/coasting is only available through Davinci. This one is carbon upper, with aluminum bottom brackets.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Plus the independent pedaling/coasting is only available through Davinci. This one is carbon upper, with aluminum bottom brackets.
Yep, independent pedaling is the way to go. And carbon upper w/ alu BB is best stiffness to comfort & weight balance. Can't tell if your headtube is alu also. My custom De Rosa King roadie is alu headtube & BB & dropouts, but carbon front & rear triangles. See my avatar. Had Calfee Designs completely strip down to bare alu & bare carbon. No finish, no clearcoat, just raw material. Only use 303 Protectant. I am well accustomed to that type of ride your frame provides. Awesome!
Old 06-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	314916Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0705.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	314917Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0708.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	314918

Not much protrusion either side.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Nice unit! How much access do you have to either of the rear doors?
Does the unit swing out or do you have to take the bikes off /entire unit off ?
Old 06-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Attachment 314077

Do you know the total overall of that entire setup with bike(s) and the box loaded? With the center of gravity of that added weight so far behind the rear axle, have you experienced any sway issues, and are there any warranty issues vs. the AS specs?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
Nice unit! How much access do you have to either of the rear doors?

Does the unit swing out or do you have to take the bikes off /entire unit off ?

We are able to get the doors open a few degrees-enough to get at the water heater valve. We store less frequently used things things in the aft.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Do you know the total overall of that entire setup with bike(s) and the box loaded? With the center of gravity of that added weight so far behind the rear axle, have you experienced any sway issues, and are there any warranty issues vs. the AS specs?

Thanks,

Peter
I was was conscious of the 500 lbs tongue weight limit, so I calculated carefully before building this. The total weight is less than 250 lbs. I donít have any sway issues than I can detect. As for warranty issues, our AI is a 2009 model, so there is none that I know of.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:

Thanks,

Peter

I was conscious of the 500 pound tongue weight limit when I built this setup. Everything together including bikes weighs less than 250 pounds. I am not detecting any sway issues with the setup. This is a 2009 AI, so I do not have a warranty on it. Which warranty issues would you be thinking of?
Old 06-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I was just wondering if AS had any weight limits for that rear hitch receiver, but it seems like you are well within any limits. Thanks.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
I was just wondering if AS had any weight limits for that rear hitch receiver, but it seems like you are well within any limits. Thanks.

Sprinter specifies the tongue weight as 500 lbs. and the trailer weight as 5,000 lbs.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	314977
Old 06-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #20
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Sprinter specifies the tongue weight as 500 lbs. and the trailer weight as 5,000 lbs.Attachment 314977
The tongue weight rating on these vans varies with body configuration and payload. For a certain payload, longer vans have the lower 5000 lb rating and 500 lb tongue capacity. Shorter and/or heavier vans have a 7500 lb rating. Given that the hitch receivers used in different length vans reportedly have the same part number, it can be judged that the variability in tongue weight rating has to do with the rear axle load and vehicle dynamic stability, due to the distance the load is applied from that rear axle.

The tongue weight rating is generally for a load applied to the hitch ball, not leveraged further aft. It may be fine to have that load applied behind the hitch ball location, and still within design specs, but that should not be assumed based on a tongue weight rating specified for a hitch ball. Does the manual list any qualifiers or dimensions?

Weigh the vehicle axles independently to be sure. And if you want to approach the published tongue weight rating, to be safe make sure that the load is applied in the same place as a trailer ball coupler would do so.

The specs on my Euro SUV listed 600 lbs tongue weight. But there was also a drawing in the tech documents showing the maximum extension from the receiver pin, and the maximum drop, for that weight limit to apply. Same theory, but I haven't seen a similar spec for the Sprinter.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote