Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Next, install a Bidet! You'll love it!
When I was writing the "Great Ideas" column for Airstream Life magazine, I would walk around campgrounds with camera and pad to gather ideas for the column.

One lady, with a vintage Bambi said the only thing she could think of was the bidet she had installed. I took a photo and wrote a neat tongue-in-cheek piece on it. Rich Luhrs, editor of Airstream Life said he couldn't publish it. He said that every time he would publish something like that, he would have people cancel their subscriptions. He once published the classic photo of Wally Byam and Stella with the bare-breasted pigmies and lost a bunch of subscribers.

It is hard to believe just how up tight some folks can get!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the question is strictly about stocking up an RV (and not the other virtues of each store), I"m not real sure you *need* either one. Buying everything in bulk works at home (where you have lots of storage space). In an RV, I'm not sure it makes as much sense.

Fuel is a very hit or miss sort of thing. Just how good a "deal" you get on fuel varies a lot state to state. I've seen a number of locations that I very much would *not* want to pull the trailer through when getting filled up. Around here, their gas price is about a dime cheaper than the "typical"station's price. There often are cheaper places to find fuel.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Funny, just saw a bidet toilet at Costco the other day and my son commented that I should get one! Don't think they carry the camper model! And, just had a discussion today about the bear's butt plug during hibernation at a crafting group! You're right, people need to lighten up a little!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Next, install a Bidet! You'll love it!
Had one in the Master Bath in the house wife designed and we built in Alabama. Had to explain what it was to the plumber, construction workers, etc. Their expressions were funny as could be...they thought it was a fancy sink for washing hands. I referred them to the scene in Crocodile Dundee when Crocodile encountered one in a fancy hotel suite...classic!

Would like one, but no room in a 22 footer for one, and since its a wet bath, an electrically heated Bidet Seat would probably not be a good idea...

But yeah, loved the one in the house, when we lived there. Nobody could figure out why there was a nice towel rack in the toilet/bidet space either...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #25
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We've used Sam's Club for several years when traveling. Sometimes it's convenient for fuel but many times it's off the beaten path. Hit or miss whether they have diesel. When traveling we don't "stock up" but we do buy lunchmeat, a loaf of bread, some over the counter medications and other items that are small size/quantity. Many times Sam's carries regional craft beer at reasonable prices.

We recently added a Costco membership to our arsenal of shopping tools. Mostly because we want the GM incentive if we purchase new vehicle and secondly to add to our list of shopping alternatives as we travel. As Moosetags said... Sam's Club in the east, Costco in the west.

We've never stayed overnight at either one. Be sure to call the manager and ask if it's okay.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I can only speak for Arizona: The Sam's Club in North Phoenix (Bell Road) has diesel which is generally the cheapest in Phoenix, so we always fill up there and do some shopping at the same time.
However, we also have a Sam's Club credit card (Mastercard) which gives us back 5% on ALL gas stations, so that is worth a lot to us on our travels.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Kind of hilarious First World problems, maybe, worrying about saving a few cents on fuel and toilet paper, all while driving a $200,000 investment all around the country?

Everywhere you go there are plenty of choices for fueling and consuming material goods . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
For those Costco members in the US going into Canada, be aware that Costco Canada takes Mastercard and not VISA as in the US. And the reverse it true for those Canadian Costco members traveling to the US.

We encountered this last year trying to fill up at a Costco near Quebec City.

A way around this, if you don't care to apply for another credit card, is to purchase a Costco gift card in the US. Anticipate how much you will need to spend, as it will be difficult to add funds once in Canada unless you use Canadian currency or US currency and accept their exchange rate.

While I can't absolutely vouch that a US Costco gift card will be redeemable in Canada, I do know that the Canadian Costco gift card we purchased (with cash) was honored in the US upon our return.

Greg
Related to this, there are no Sam's Clubs in Canada. There were 6 locations at one point but they closed almost 10 years ago. Despite that, we have a Sam's Club membership because we travel in the US so often. Until recently Sam's Club did not accept Visa, but now they take both Visa and Mastercard.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #29
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Costco in the US takes Visa, but in Canada they only take Mastercard.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #30
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Can't Go Wrong With Costco

We like Costco for the following reasons:

1) cheap Tier 1 gas
2) cheapest propane anywhere by a long shot (only some Costco stores sell it)
3) good prices for tow vehicle tires & free tire pressure checks
4) safe, quiet and uncrowded boondocking in parking lots
5) never have to worry about quality
6) no-hassle returns
7) large footprint in U.S. and Canada
8) 4% gas savings with Costco credit card

Overall, you can't go wrong with Costco unless the diesel thing is a deal breaker for you.

Cheers!
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
I only have experience with Costco which, by the way, can only sell liquor if the state you are in allows it in big box stores. No in Oregon, but Yes in CA and TX and some others.

I keep this link bookmarked - if you scroll down you can view the Costco locations in each state that carry diesel. https://www.costco.com/gasoline-diesel.html

On average Costsco diesel is about $.24/gal cheaper than the average top brand stations nearby. And, in Oregon where you cannot pump your own gas, you CAN pump your own diesel there. And the best part is... as you pull in, you don't have to hurriedly scan for which pump station has the Diesel handle... because they ALL do !! For the one in Tigard Oregon that means at least a dozen stations x two sides = about 24 lovely green handles, but bring your own paper towel for catching dribbles from the nozzle cause they don't have them out for you. Designed to keep people in their cars and exiting the lanes ASAP.
Good to know on diesel prices
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #32
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Kind of hilarious First World problems, maybe, worrying about saving a few cents on fuel and toilet paper, all while driving a $200,000 investment all around the country?

Everywhere you go there are plenty of choices for fueling and consuming material goods . . .

Yes, it is a first world problem - but something to consider regardless of how much (or little) the RV and associated equipment cost.

My wife is driving today so I’ve taken time to look at the fuel prices as we travel down the road. Looking at signs I see from the roadway along with searching Gas Buddy I see the “club” prices are clearly the lowest - sometimes by as little as $.05 or as much as $.25 per gallon at a given exit. With the distances we travel every year and our current tow vehicle MPG that adds up to hundreds of dollars per year. Certainly something I’m not going to overlook.

Combine that with other factors mentioned in this thread and it probably makes sense to consider whether a “club” would be useful to you.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:08 AM   #33

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:

It's interesting how most 1st generation rich are frugal and many 2nd and 3rd generation are spendthrift then poor.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . good points, but if you drive even 20 miles out of your way to save on fuel and TP, have you really saved that much?

Not to mention the "labor" costs of [over?] thinking the whole thing.

Life is short.

Keep It Simple, Stu!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
. . . good points, but if you drive even 20 miles out of your way to save on fuel and TP, have you really saved that much?

Not to mention the "labor" costs of [over?] thinking the whole thing.
OTRA15 - I with you on this. I am not rich, not poor, just financially comfortable. What that means is if the cheaper diesel is in the same route where I am headed, I will make my purchase there. But if it is a madhouse, like most Costco's would be in SoCal on a weekend, I will gladly pay the $ 0.10 - 0.25 more for the convenience of in/out quickly. I will never go out of my route just to save on diesel. Not worth my time. I calculated my MPG for my now 9,000 miles. I am running at about 16.x (due to lots of city driving, idling in very hot desert summer, high altitude, and highway driving usually at 70-75mph). So even if I pay 0.25 more on every fill, that's only $140 more for the entire year. I am comfortable with that if it saves me stress & headache.

BTW - most of the time, I am filling up at the lowest price or within 0.10 anyways.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I was just curious. I stay away from Costco on weekends because it's usually a zoo here. But while on the road, it's nice to visit Costco, because different Costcos carry different things. They also have some nice prepared dishes if you need a last minute pot luck dish and they are close by. I also wasn't aware that any carried diesel, so that's good to know. I may go ahead and get the Sam's club because of some good points people made on this post. Thanks
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #37
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Not a club store, but a wholesale type store is The Three Bears in Alaska. First one we shopped at was in Healy near Denali. Great selection and great prices.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
[QUOTE=Mansderm161;2190328because different Costcos carry different things. [QUOTE]

MANSDERM161 - This is so true. FYI, even within the same city, certain Costco's carry items that are not carried by other Costco's close by. Their merchandise is based on socio/economic demographic. Example, in Las Vegas, the Costco in the high-end master planned communities carry women's jewelry nowhere to be found in the mostly middle-class areas. The Costco near the Vegas Strip is mostly carrying restaurant & service provider items (not found even in high-end part of town), like commercial grade espresso machines, cooking equipment, etc. It amazxing store, if you are into that type of equipment. It's the only Costco that I know in southwest that has merchandise like that. But then again, Vegas Strip is a huge customer base for them with all the facilities needing all that commercial grade stuff.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Have both. More Costco's than Sam's, and many Sams are closing.
Waiting for the Sams to expire and get the check in February.
Sam Walton must be rolling over in his grave, what a collapse in the level of service and merchandise.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I carry both a Costco and a Sam's Club membership card. Both carry a large assortment of alcoholic beverages and other handy stuff for on the road.
Note that where Costco (and I believe Sam's Club) have a separate liquor outlet, a membership is not required. The liquor retail component operates as a separate company. We found this out in Grand Prairie, Alberta when we produced our membership card and were told we didn't need to. We've been told the same goes for Sam's Club in Florida.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote