Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Best Way To Sell An Airstream Interstate

Hello all:

My question is simple. I your opinion, what is the best way to sell your Airstream Interstate. I have one for sale that is a 2018, Airstream Interstate Grand Tour with a Tommy Bahama Package and rear suspension. I have it on AirStream Classifieds and RVT.com. I have video's on both sites; lots of good pictures and the price listed is below the average price. My description is very detailed and it comes with lots of extras.

When I sold my 2017 Airstream Flying cloud doing the same thing, it sold in a week. My Interstate has been listed for over a month and most folks live 5 states away.

Any thoughts or help will be appreciated. Thanks to all for reading this.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
Hello all:

My question is simple. I your opinion, what is the best way to sell your Airstream Interstate. I have one for sale that is a 2018, Airstream Interstate Grand Tour with a Tommy Bahama Package and rear suspension. I have it on AirStream Classifieds and RVT.com. I have video's on both sites; lots of good pictures and the price listed is below the average price. My description is very detailed and it comes with lots of extras.

When I sold my 2017 Airstream Flying cloud doing the same thing, it sold in a week. My Interstate has been listed for over a month and most folks live 5 states away.

Any thoughts or help will be appreciated. Thanks to all for reading this.
Sold my 2011 Interstate on RVTrader in a week. I had quite a few respond even after I sold it. Worked for me.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Supply and demand. Anything listed widely and in the correct venues that is not selling is priced too high.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Venues, yes. Location is very important. Different regions have different populations of affluence and also varying levels of camping and travel appeal. They sell a lot of Interstates on the West Coast, where there's lots of recreating going on, and lots of money sloshing about.

I bought mine with 13k miles two years ago in Louisiana on Ebay for a heck of a good deal. I was the only bidder. Flew down, checked it out, paid and drove it home to Oregon. I targeted that vehicle auction because I "assumed" there were not a lot of people with a lot of disposable cash in that region. It was a gamble but it worked out great. The AI was of high quality and well cared for, like yours. If I had found the same vehicle in the Pacific NW, I would have needed to pay 10-15% more.

I figured we could drive it home, use it for a few months and, if we decided it wasn't our thing, sell it for more than we paid for it. Turns out it IS our thing and we are living in it full time and traveling around (41k miles now). Conclusion? It may be a long shot, but if there is not a big market for these machines in your region, you could plan a trip to a place where it would fetch more $, advertise there ahead of time, schedule appointments to show it. Then drive your AI to that area and maybe it works out and you fly home. I dunno, I'm just reaching for possibilities here so you don't have to drop the price too much...
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

2017 30' Classic
Centralia , Illinois
I have been trying to sell my 2017 Classic since March. Maybe I didn't do a good job with pictures. One person told me it was listed to cheap and people were afraid of it. Just don't know.
old vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
If anyone wishes to discuss their transaction with a flipper, here's the one we used to buy our Interstate:

Andy Ikerd, (901) 337-7878; Andy.Ikerd@gmail.com.

He's in the greater Memphis area. He tends to specialize in older Interstates (T1Ns), though.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by old vet View Post
I have been trying to sell my 2017 Classic since March. Maybe I didn't do a good job with pictures. One person told me it was listed to cheap and people were afraid of it. Just don't know.
To sell a RV, it just takes a few things:

1. Product. Is it something you would buy? If not, make it that way and be sure to let the buyer know the good and bad, and that you are being honest. Let them know how to feel comfortable with the purchase and with you. Fix everything that needs fixing so they can drive off and not have to worry about anything not working. Disclose anything that you can't fix. In other words, put yourself in the buyer's shoes. Is your vehicle one YOU would buy? From the description, would you feel comfortable buying from yourself?

2. Description. Clear and many pictures, inside and out. Describe all the good things and any updates specifically.

3. Price. Don't shortsell it. Figure out how much in real dollars your model is bringing. Check NADA RV prices, including wholesale. Maybe take it by a dealer and see what they'd give you in trade. That way, you know a low value and the high value. Start high, then start dropping the price.

4. Communicate. If you get a lead, follow up.

5. Be patient. It just takes one person looking for what you are selling to buy it. Eventually, you will.

That's about all there is too it. Took me about a week to sell mine. Admittedly, I did drop the price a few thousand because I got to know the potential buyer and he was a really nice guy who was pushing his financial limit, and I wanted my Interstate to go to a good home. He was estastic when I accepted his offer, which was still much higher than wholesale, but lower than the average retail.

Sometimes, in life, the extra few bucks not earned is worth it if you can be part of making another fellow human being a bit happier in his life. Worth every cent.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Keep in mind new buyers for your particular rig enter the picture in cycles that you can't control. I buy and sell a lot of used vintage cars and it's hard to explain why some go quick and some take a little while. Usually if it take 2 months to sell a car I get 3 inquiries the day after it's gone. Never fails. You can drop the price or wait it out, but don't get desperate. Been there, done that, and regretted it. I watched your videos and they are excellent. Just keep refreshing things and it will go. If you're getting nibbles it's not priced too high. There's always a buyer out there that wants pristine and will pay for it.
FiveOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
The economy is good and many folks have lot's of disposable money for toys.

That being said the PRICE of those toys must still MATCH the CONDITION of the item when selling anything that people really do not need.

Be very aware when pricing your unit to make sure that your asking price matches the condition. Unrealistic asking prices are single biggest reason you will not get any calls on your item and the single biggest reason why that item DOES NOT SELL!

Yes the location of the item for sale can be very important factor in how quick an item sells and for how much money it will sell for. Being located in the middle of nowhere versus Southern California or other urban area with lot's of disposable income can make a huge difference the final selling price. The reality is that most folks are lazy and not going put forth a bunch of effort to look at an Airstream in the middle of nowhere UNLESS the price is CHEAP.

Great pictures along with a nice clean and detailed unit can make a lot of difference in how many people will even consider buying your unit. If your unit needs a few little items repaired to make it perfect go ahead and get them fixed. The last thing most buyer's want to do is spend a lot of money buying a new to them RV and then have to spend a lot of time and money fixing a bunch of little schidt. If I am buying I will discount the price I will offer your for that item 2-3 times the cost of the needed repairs. If the seller's to lazy or cheap to make the repairs I'm not doin em for free either! It's going to cost you the seller either way to make the repairs.

And last but certainly not least I really don't care if you saw another unit "Just Like Yours" sell on some auction show or online for a lot of money. Condition, location, sales commissions, other hidden costs and many other things are something everyone who says the BS above seems to forget when spreading this BS. About the only thing you can say with confidence is that they were both the same make of item and that's all you really do know or should care.

And most of all as a seller BE NICE!

When people call BE NICE! When they come and look BE NICE! When they make you mad with stupid comments or low first offers BE NICE!

Always remember to never say NO in the price negotiations until you truly are ready to say NO and let the buyer walk. Your first offer is usually your best offer so make sure you truly are ready to let em walk!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote