Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We have a Volcano 3 and like it very much
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Wow at today's values - yes I wish I still had it. Mine was in the #3 category as it had a later model 911 engine. I bought it in 1997 and sold it in 2002 for what I paid for it. It was a very fun car to drive, but at some point I realized it was just an old car.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
914's were probably the most basic of all Porsche's. No frills, very light and responsive as hell. While the Boxster follows the same basic premise, it is far from being a basic car. Lots of fun as well.

I have a 1967 Porsche 912 but with a 1983 911 motor. It is also lots of fun which I will learn again next week when it emerges from the body shop where I am having it painted. The values of these all early 911's and 914-6's have skyrocketed in the past five years. Hopefully I share in that when I sell the '67.

Here is a pic of it from about a month ago at the body shop just after it was painted its original color, Polo Red. I have a set of the original steel wheels with hubcaps that will go back on the car when I have it back home.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lubbock , Texas
We wanted something that sears well, like our gas grill at the house that has an "infrared" feature, so researched grills and found our Charbroil Grill 2 Go. We highly recommend this grill - uses the small propane tanks, but cooks at very high temperatures. Got ours at Camping World, and cost was very reasonable with online pricing.
andybree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I've tried a few different stove/grill options for the Interstate. To hook up to the low pressure propane outlet, I bought a Camp Chef Ranger II Table Top Stove. It was rated the hottest and most durable in my research. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWIAPA/...332200_TE_item. I connected it via their RV hose, which you can buy here: Camp Chef RV Connection Hose | Amazon.com: Outdoor Recreation. It easily fits under the lounge in the back and puts out a really strong flame. I carried around a cast iron grill plate to grill on it, but used it more as a stove. I was generally happy with it, but it seemed like overkill since I really only needed one burner.

My next purchase was the volcano. I liked it too. I never used the propane option, but used the charcoal option. It works well. Ultimately, it went in my garage because I found cleaning it was a bit more work than I wanted. I also didn't want to carry charcoal. The volcano and the charcoal take up a fair amount of room under the lounge. If I cook on charcoal, this is the one I'll use. It's worth noting they do have a propane hookup, but most people said it was weak and not worthwhile.

My final purchase was the Iwatani 35FW Portable Butane Stove Burner, which can be found here: Amazon.com: Iwatani Corporation of America 35FW Portable Butane Stove Burner: Kitchen & Dining. I gave up on trying to connect to the Interstates propane outlet since most of those grills/stoves were large. Instead, I tried to find a small, portable stove that doesn't take up much room and burns hot. After a lot of research, I settled on this one and have been very happy. It's very small, efficient, and burns hot but can simmer. I'm pretty happy with it.

The last thing I bought, but for other reasons was the Campfire in a Can. In Texas, a lot of parks have burn bans so I thought this would be a good alternative. I love a real campfire so was skeptical that I'd like it. However, I've been pleased mostly due to how simple it is. It produces a strong flame and doesn't consume a lot of propane. I can easily turn it on or off without worrying about a mess. It fits under the lounge and comes with a grill rack so you can technically grill over it, though, I'm not sure the heat would be even across the rack. I bought this quick connect valve (http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59853-Pr.../dp/B007HG7TFO), which had the parts I needed to connect it to the low pressure propane outlet on the Interstate.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I have only used my volcano 3 with propane and it gets plenty hot. I usually run it on the lowest setting possible as the 'volcano' wraps around the pot. I also have the collapsible hood. It is great for dutch oven cooking as well as grilling. One of the reasons that I purchased this grill is so I would not have to carry charcoal, but could have a campfire with wood if desired when a fire ring was not available.

Happy Hunting,
Kate
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I found that the "white" mounting rail is actually exuded aluminum. I used a small propane torch to heat it up to remove the white paint with a wire brush. I then polished the aluminum on a buffing wheel and sprayed it with a coat of "clear Rustolium". It now matches my AS!!
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
BBQ Mounitng Options.

After striping the BBQ mounting rail, I attached it to the second rung of my rear rack. Works great. I had tried to figure out where to mount the BBQ rail to the side of the AS, but could not find a convenient place where there were "studs" close enough together to provide a solid mounting point.

(PS: as noted in a different post, I fabricated the rear rack out of some solid ZIP DEE bar stock and brackets directly from ZIP DEE. The Rack is also the mounting point for my bike rack.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	241766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	241767  

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	241768  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Based upon your photos of your AI with its grill mount, I have purchased the same grill & mounting system. If you attached the aluminum bar, did you use a backing plate?
JJKinnerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKinnerup View Post
Based upon your photos of your AI with its grill mount, I have purchased the same grill & mounting system. If you attached the aluminum bar, did you use a backing plate?
Welcome to the forum! The post you replied to is almost a year old, and it may be unlikely that the author will see your post. The best way to get someone's attention is to Quote them [see button below] which results in that author getting an email about being quoted. This way even old posts can lead to some continuity of conversation, hopefully.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier7771 View Post
I found that the "white" mounting rail is actually exuded aluminum. I used a small propane torch to heat it up to remove the white paint with a wire brush. I then polished the aluminum on a buffing wheel and sprayed it with a coat of "clear Rustolium". It now matches my AS!!
Not sure if you are still active here, but someone just commented on your June 2015 post.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Yes, I am still here!

I did not use a backing plate. I drilled and tapped the ZipDee solid bar, and mounted the rail with 8-32 SS bolts. The lower cross bar was placed so the Grill bracket lined up.

Hope that makes sense......
Old 05-20-2016, 12:31 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the reply below. I looked up your other post, as your custom rack looks very useful, including as a "keeper" for your jerry can etc.. I will do some research on the Zip Dee site next, and may be back with some questions.

Running out of edit time, but a couple of quick questions -- To assemble the rack, I guess you tapped your own threads in the ends of the horizontal bar stock? Aluminum or SS bar stock? The bolts look like some kind of allen head machine bolt, or are these Zip Dee parts as well?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
I ordered the brackets directly from ZIP-DEE. The brackets are Part number "210060-BASE BRACKET", and the bars are "1ZZ:304-4' Satin Solid Bars". (I called ZIP-DEE at (847)437-0980, and they had them on the way the next morning. ) Mounting was with Stainless Steel screws from Ace Hardware, with Sikaflex sealant. The ZIP-DEE satin solid bars need to be ordered by length, I believe I was charged about $4.92 per foot, and you will need to cut and drill to your needs.

If you have additional questions, please contact me directly, rather than using this thread, as I did not intend to hijack this thread when I commented regarding my wish for a larger rear awning than that offered by Airstream.

Sorry Brian.....
Quote:
Yes, I am still here!

I did not use a backing plate. I drilled and tapped the ZipDee solid bar, and mounted the rail with 8-32 SS bolts. The lower cross bar was placed so the Grill bracket lined up.

Hope that makes sense......
Old 05-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
We opted to get the Weber Q-Grill (gas). It utilizes the small gas cylinders. We wanted the option of having the grill detached from the coach and not using the on-board propane. Having the flexibility to use the grill on a picnic table or small grill table away from the coach was a consideration. I was not comfortable having the grill mounted to the side of the vehicle. Heat and normal grill flare-ups could potentially damage the vehicle paint was my thought. Mount brackets screwed into the side of the vehicle could also be a source of rust in the long run.
Road Jager
+1 on using a grill some distance away from the Interstate, although my reasonings are a little different than yours.

A grill mounted on the side of the vehicle or the swing hitch is going to generate some degree of smoke even if it is run on propane instead of wood or charcoal. That means the vehicle is going to have to be buttoned up tight for the duration of cooking or the smell will permeate the interior. Well, that's not very practical as I tend to run in and out like a cat obsessed with a screen door. Even if most of the meal is cooked on the grill, I'm warming up beans on the interior stove (can't have Texas BBQ without beans), I'm fetching dishes, drinks, setting the picnic table, etc. We prefer to grill about 20 feet away from the vehicle so that we don't have to worry about the smoke.

Additionally, I do prefer to use charcoal and wood, either mesquite or pecan. Lots of smoke during the fire-up stage. Lots of smell, which is a wonderful smell but I don't want to be still wearing it the next day. I have a gas Weber Q at home - I don't want the same thing on the road. For me the point of being out there is to slow down and enjoy the more leisurely approach and use the grilling method that takes more time.

Grill storage space is an issue, especially if charcoal and wood are included. For this reason, and because we haven't yet decided what would be best to buy, to date we have used grills available at the campgrounds. Some people are grossed out by that because they perceive a dirtiness factor. At Galveston Island State Park, we laughed and laughed because of course the seagulls had pooped all over our campsite's grill - who would expect anything less? Well, we scrub off and lower the grate into the hot coals so it gets well-sterilized before food is placed on it, so that's not a concern. What IS a concern is the commonly-encountered decrepit condition of public grills, which results in lack of adjust-ability, rendering them almost useless. Attached is a pic from Brazos Bend State Park, showing all the side tabs rusted off. Very frustrating that this kind of thing characterizes one of Texas' flagship venues. When this happens, we have to start propping up the grate with rocks and sticks, which is a huge hassle. It doesn't work right and often results in improperly cooked BBQ.

For that reason we are looking at carrying a small, simple tabletop unit, probably mounted and stored under the chassis because even if it is cleaned after use, it's still going to have some smell to it. The mounting part is on my to-do list.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_3531.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	262813  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
For that reason we are looking at carrying a small, simple tabletop unit, probably mounted and stored under the chassis because even if it is cleaned after use, it's still going to have some smell to it. The mounting part is on my to-do list.
Easy-Off oven cleaner is good for cleaning grills and will kill lingering cooking odors as well. (except for cleaning the cooking surface itself, of course— for that you want a citrus-based grill cleaner).
Old 05-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the reply below. I looked up your other post, as your custom rack looks very useful, including as a "keeper" for your jerry can etc.. I will do some research on the Zip Dee site next, and may be back with some questions.

Running out of edit time, but a couple of quick questions -- To assemble the rack, I guess you tapped your own threads in the ends of the horizontal bar stock? Aluminum or SS bar stock? The bolts look like some kind of allen head machine bolt, or are these Zip Dee parts as well?

Thanks,

Peter
Peter,

All the square parts are ZipDee satin finish aluminum bar stock. Yes, I tapped the bar stock. Bolts are 3/8-16 SS Grade 8 Socket head cap bolts with SS star washers from Ace Hardware.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:

Thanks,

Peter
Peter,

Yes the custom ZipDee rack is quite useful. So far I have made the following clip-on attachments for the rack. 1) Original RVQ bracket for the grill. 2) Bike Rack. 3) Shelf/Table for the two burner Everest cook Stove. 4) Mounting Bracket for the Backup-Rearview Camera.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	262816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	262818  

Name:	L1090824x.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	262820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188x.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	262821  

Old 05-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Peter,

Yes the custom ZipDee rack is quite useful. So far I have made the following clip-on attachments for the rack. 1) Original RVQ bracket for the grill. 2) Bike Rack. 3) Shelf/Table for the two burner Everest cook Stove. 4) Mounting Bracket for the Backup-Rearview Camera.
Thanks -- if you could give some feedback on the assembly process, including machining questions per my earlier post, that would be great. For instance, are the horizontal pieces the same stock that slides in and out on the Zip Dee awnings, and is it hollow? How do your bolts through the verticals attach to the horizontals?

Etc.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 05-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Thanks -- if you could give some feedback on the assembly process, including machining questions per my earlier post, that would be great. For instance, are the horizontal pieces the same stock that slides in and out on the Zip Dee awnings, and is it hollow? How do your bolts through the verticals attach to the horizontals?

Etc.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter. The ZipDee bars are solid and are the same material as used on the arms of the ZipDee awning.

The vertical ZipDee bars are 3/8" drilled on center.

The horizontal bars are drilled and tapped to 3/8-16 thread. Drilling/Tapping the horizontal bars are the only tricky part of putting this together. The hole to be drilled in the horizontal bars needs to be perfectly centered. I used my woodturning lathe! I chucked the aluminum bar in the head, and put the proper tap drill in the tail stock to make sure it was centered.

I cut all the aluminum with a carbide blade on a table saw. But you could just as well cut it with a hacksaw. The cuts need to result in a perfect 90 degree cut however.

I totally guessed as to how wide to space the verticals. The vertically were originally made too long on purpose, then after mounting, I marked and cut them to the length you see in the photos.

Hopefully that answers your questions. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Al
Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
That covers it thanks!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #40

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Little falls , New Jersey
Low pressure LP port usage.

I just recently purchased a '16 Flying cloud 28 and want use the exterior LP outlet.

Basically all LP grills need a regulator to go from tank pressure to a lower controlled pressure. Here's the nugget most if not all grills won't work with two regulators in play. Disconnecting the one on the grill is the best option. I found this YouTube on converting the Weber Q 1200.

TigerPilot is offline   Reply With Quote