Old 08-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
(4) Lifeline 4CT 6 volts
Wow, I have 2018 and didn't know about that space. I'll have to check for it this weekend. Anh other secret compartments?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #22
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Wow, I have 2018 and didn't know about that space. I'll have to check for it this weekend. Anh other secret compartments?
MANSDERM161 - that space non existent in 2018. Spare tire is directly underneath that area now
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Drat
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MANSDERM161 - that space non existent in 2018. Spare tire is directly underneath that area now
ALEX - I think that is only true if you have VB Airsuspension, which is probably most by now. The air-suspension components take up about 15" behind the rear axle. That caused Airstream to move the generator farther back and use the stock spare tire holder and eliminate the under floor storage box. On Interstates without VB Air they still add the rear under floor storage box - it's still shown in the parts books.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #25
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
While at Alumapalooza, I was intrigued by the large number of Interstates that were constantly driving past the 'Palooza tent with no rear bumpers. They looked strange.

I later found that they are brought in unfinished condition to the repair bays for installation of the VB Air suspension. Then, they go back to the other side of the highway to get the rear bumpers and final build.

While in the AI build area, we saw the first TB Atlas about 1/2 built. The slide was not in place yet, but the interior was otherwise pretty much finished.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
ALEX - I think that is only true if you have VB Airsuspension, which is probably most by now. The air-suspension components take up about 15" behind the rear axle. That caused Airstream to move the generator farther back and use the stock spare tire holder and eliminate the under floor storage box. On Interstates without VB Air they still add the rear under floor storage box - it's still shown in the parts books.
MIKE - OOPS, yes you right. It is easy for me to forget not everyone who has a 2018 has VB Air. I just assumed non-VB Air AI's have gone the way of the dodo bird, kinda like the golf bag coz dealer told me they do not order w/o them and they make every effort to discourage customers from not ordering VB. But I am sure someone out there still has the storage box. I for one was disappointed to learn I could not have both. But when I learned how to access my spare vs. the winch method and how it was so close to gen, I did not mind losing the storage box. Otherwise, it would be hard to service gen if VB Air & storage box was to co-exist
Old 08-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKE - OOPS, yes you right. It is easy for me to forget not everyone who has a 2018 has VB Air. I just assumed non-VB Air AI's have gone the way of the dodo bird, kinda like the golf bag coz dealer told me they do not order w/o them and they make every effort to discourage customers from not ordering VB. But I am sure someone out there still has the storage box. I for one was disappointed to learn I could not have both. But when I learned how to access my spare vs. the winch method and how it was so close to gen, I did not mind losing the storage box. Otherwise, it would be hard to service gen if VB Air & storage box was to co-exist

ALEX - yes I'd imagine most are now delivered with VB air. Funny you should mention the golf bag rack. Mine had it installed, but I really didn't want it. Biggest problem on mine was it prevented reconfiguring the lounge from seat to bed unless it was removed. I made some extension brackets to move the golf rack back a few inches so I can leave it in place and still run the lounge up and down. I don't golf, but use the rack to secure our folding tandem when I haul it in back. I've also used it to bring home a tank of Argon/CO2 gas from Tractor Supply for my MIG welder.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
to secure our folding tandem when I haul it in back. I've also used it to bring home a tank of Argon/CO2 gas from Tractor Supply for my MIG welder.
MIKE - Funny . A very expensive tandem/welding tank rack. The ultimate in re-purposing