Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
Mansderm161's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
(4) Lifeline 4CT 6 volts
Wow, I have 2018 and didn't know about that space. I'll have to check for it this weekend. Anh other secret compartments?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #22
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Wow, I have 2018 and didn't know about that space. I'll have to check for it this weekend. Anh other secret compartments?
MANSDERM161 - that space non existent in 2018. Spare tire is directly underneath that area now
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Mansderm161's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 773
Drat
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MANSDERM161 - that space non existent in 2018. Spare tire is directly underneath that area now
ALEX - I think that is only true if you have VB Airsuspension, which is probably most by now. The air-suspension components take up about 15" behind the rear axle. That caused Airstream to move the generator farther back and use the stock spare tire holder and eliminate the under floor storage box. On Interstates without VB Air they still add the rear under floor storage box - it's still shown in the parts books.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #25
Contributing Member
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,009
Images: 4
While at Alumapalooza, I was intrigued by the large number of Interstates that were constantly driving past the 'Palooza tent with no rear bumpers. They looked strange.

I later found that they are brought in unfinished condition to the repair bays for installation of the VB Air suspension. Then, they go back to the other side of the highway to get the rear bumpers and final build.

While in the AI build area, we saw the first TB Atlas about 1/2 built. The slide was not in place yet, but the interior was otherwise pretty much finished.
__________________
John W. Irwin
2018 Interstate GT, "Sabre-Dog V"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #26
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
ALEX - I think that is only true if you have VB Airsuspension, which is probably most by now. The air-suspension components take up about 15" behind the rear axle. That caused Airstream to move the generator farther back and use the stock spare tire holder and eliminate the under floor storage box. On Interstates without VB Air they still add the rear under floor storage box - it's still shown in the parts books.
MIKE - OOPS, yes you right. It is easy for me to forget not everyone who has a 2018 has VB Air. I just assumed non-VB Air AI's have gone the way of the dodo bird, kinda like the golf bag coz dealer told me they do not order w/o them and they make every effort to discourage customers from not ordering VB. But I am sure someone out there still has the storage box. I for one was disappointed to learn I could not have both. But when I learned how to access my spare vs. the winch method and how it was so close to gen, I did not mind losing the storage box. Otherwise, it would be hard to service gen if VB Air & storage box was to co-exist
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKE - OOPS, yes you right. It is easy for me to forget not everyone who has a 2018 has VB Air. I just assumed non-VB Air AI's have gone the way of the dodo bird, kinda like the golf bag coz dealer told me they do not order w/o them and they make every effort to discourage customers from not ordering VB. But I am sure someone out there still has the storage box. I for one was disappointed to learn I could not have both. But when I learned how to access my spare vs. the winch method and how it was so close to gen, I did not mind losing the storage box. Otherwise, it would be hard to service gen if VB Air & storage box was to co-exist

ALEX - yes I'd imagine most are now delivered with VB air. Funny you should mention the golf bag rack. Mine had it installed, but I really didn't want it. Biggest problem on mine was it prevented reconfiguring the lounge from seat to bed unless it was removed. I made some extension brackets to move the golf rack back a few inches so I can leave it in place and still run the lounge up and down. I don't golf, but use the rack to secure our folding tandem when I haul it in back. I've also used it to bring home a tank of Argon/CO2 gas from Tractor Supply for my MIG welder.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #28
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
to secure our folding tandem when I haul it in back. I've also used it to bring home a tank of Argon/CO2 gas from Tractor Supply for my MIG welder.
MIKE - Funny . A very expensive tandem/welding tank rack. The ultimate in re-purposing
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12V converter/battery/monitor upgrade dznf0g Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 35 01-31-2016 07:49 PM
Battery Upgrade Roadrunner Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 9 08-08-2010 07:44 PM
Performance report: Battery upgrade one year ago hshovic Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 4 07-10-2009 09:04 AM
Battery and Univolt upgrade report - 1981 280 MoHo outofcontrol Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 5 03-22-2009 06:29 AM
Bambi upgrade to group 31 battery? rfield54 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 0 05-17-2005 09:33 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.