Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
battery monitor

The geekiest of you might enjoy this article. Though come to think of it, the geekiest of you could have written this article. So perhaps it would be of interest to only you second-tier geeks.

https://marinehowto.com/programming-a-battery-monitor/

I have two battery monitors connected to the same shunt - the Magnum BMK using the upgraded ME RC remote and the monitoring that is part of the Blue Sky 212ix solar controller. I was told by both Blue Sky and Magnum that I could do this because the shunt was of very high impedance (and about 35-40 years ago I probably knew what that meant). I compared the two monitors and they agree quite well. I have to mentally adjust the Magnum SOC value because it only allow AH capacity in 100 AH increments. So I had to use 200 AH instead of my real 160 AH capacity. But the article says that even the true 160 AH value is but an approximation.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Just checking if you rec'd PM from me yesterday.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
TITUS - yeah, this is really geeky stuff but managed to finish reading entire article. The first manufacturer to come up with a monitor that can calculate a battery's degraded capacity on a dynamic basis, recalibrate it's settings accordingly to determine SOC and so it can shutdown automatically at the re-adjusted low-limit threshold (with no user intervention - so an A.I. for the battery monitor for use in the AI) will make a fortune.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Get busy inventing...
I am not aware of a place around here that could do the tightly controlled 20 hour draw-down test. If I get really bored some day maybe I'll fashion my own draw down test using a headlamp, fan, or resister. I am sure that my 2 group 24 batteries have degraded some over the 5 years that I had them, but nothing that interferes with how we use it. And I guess that is what is most important - with all due respect to Mssrs Coulomb and Peukert.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote