Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Battery installation in Houston area

We want to add two more lifeline batteries to the AI. (I.E., add an additional battery rack under the van, wire the batteries together with the two standard batteries.) From what I understand, this could be done without any other changes to the electrical system components, but would give us considerably more reserves when off grid. (We will consider additional solar and other upgrades in the future.)

I think this is a fairly straightforward job, something a competent RV or marine shop should be able to do. Is there a shop in the Houston area you have any experience with and can recommend?

If you want to reply via email it's leigh@tayara.com
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Email sent - but also - who was it on this forum that did this job? Was it Boxster? I don't know whether those battery slings were off-the-shelf or had to be custom-welded. That would be a good first parameter to ascertain.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
Boxster, others and I have added four 6V batteries in a series parallel configuration and removed the originals. This required us to design and fabricate new battery trays to hold them as the size is different than the 24T battery trays that come on newer models. To add 2 additional batteries to double capacity should be easy. I recently sold my battery boxes I removed to someone who was planning on doing just that.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
.. I don't know whether those battery slings were off-the-shelf or had to be custom-welded. ..
I've reviewed all the battery upgrade threads I found, and it seems everyone has done at least some custom work. I'm looking for the least-effort turnkey job I can find, for now.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I *do* know a very reasonable local welder / metalworker, if it turns out that you need that kind of work done, to prepare a battery receptacle.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
I've reviewed all the battery upgrade threads I found, and it seems everyone has done at least some custom work. I'm looking for the least-effort turnkey job I can find, for now.
Couldn't get any easier than this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Under-vehicl...-/131686606905
Old 07-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Nice instructions. It does appear to have drainage holes in the corners, which would be really important around here.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
So one has to load the batteries in the tray, connect, and then somehow lift the whole thing up to bolt in. A floor jack or transmission jack would come in handy. I like someone here's design that was hinged to drop down to allow for battery installation.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
We want to add two more lifeline batteries to the AI. (I.E., add an additional battery rack under the van, wire the batteries together with the two standard batteries.) From what I understand, this could be done without any other changes to the electrical system components, but would give us considerably more reserves when off grid. (We will consider additional solar and other upgrades in the future.)

I think this is a fairly straightforward job, something a competent RV or marine shop should be able to do. Is there a shop in the Houston area you have any experience with and can recommend?

Fellow Houston member Mcrider did the battery upgrade you want to do. Here is link to thread from last year that discusses this mod. His post #66 provides a great PDF document detailing the project. This mod uses airstream parts and looks fairly straightforward.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-136062-5.html

Finding a shop to do the work will need some input from our Houston members.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post

Couldn't get any easier than this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Under-vehicl...-/131686606905
Thanks. Call me a wimp, but this is what I am looking for:

"The job will cost $xxx and we guarantee the results. You can pick up the van on Thursday. Sign here ____."

Personally, I lack:
a) skills and knowledge
b) tools
c) place to do any significant DIY jobs
d) desire ""
Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Fellow Houston member Mcrider did the battery upgrade you want to do. ...
Finding a shop to do the work will need some input from our Houston members.
Thanks. He & I have talked and I've studied it closely. The shop part is what I'm trying to locate now.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:

I'd highly recommend Bob Jones RV repair, down I45 to South Houston. They've been in business for over 30 years, and do excellent work.

Kent
Houston
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Bob Jones RV has a great reputation but their wait times for scheduled appointments can be several months.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yes, we've never used Bob Jones for that reason. I tried - not only are they competent RV servicers, they specialize in issues pertaining to the MB Sprinter, so they would be a great fit. They were very honest about their wait times when I talked with them.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
No promises or experience, but I recall someone saying really good things about RV Masters.

http://www.rvmastersinc.com/
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
No promises or experience, but I recall someone saying really good things about RV Masters.

http://www.rvmastersinc.com/
Noticed under Class Bs that Airstream was conspicuously absent.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Here is an option for you.

http://precisionrv.com/
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
Here is an option for you.

http://precisionrv.com/
Nice business presentation. Telephone area code in the Seattle area.

If I were Tayara, I'd get the extra batteries and solar done in one fell swoop. It's so much of a hassle to arrange for work on these rigs that I'm not partial to having the pain spread out over successive project intervals if we can avoid it. Time-consuming pain, not to mention loss of use.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If I were Tayara, I'd get the extra batteries and solar done in one fell swoop. ...
We are considering all options. If I can find a Houston area service to do the solar + batteries, I'll go that way. Otherwise it may be more convenient to split the jobs. I don't know if a West Coast trip is in the cards right away.

I've discovered (googling) Precision RV and a couple of others that look professional. Interesting thing about Precision, the guy is peripatetic and comes to the customer (if on his route). He also winters in Arizona, not a bad trip for us. But I don't want to wait for winter.

After this holiday I'm getting in touch with various leads to see what we can do.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
FYI the reason we are so hot to get extra batteries in the near term: on our recent (first) long trip, with some overnight boondocking, we ran the batteries down to 50% just using the refrigerator overnight. (The Magnum reported 12.0v before recharging the next morning).

This was starting the evening with an almost full charge, in cold weather, not needing a fan, and obviously low demand on the refrigerator. Anything else would have pushed below 50%.

I think simply doubling the batteries will give us a comfortable safety margin, for one night at a time, with recharging during the day (either driving or generator). Solar would be very desirable if I can get it at the same time.