Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
AUSTIN , TX
Battery drain

Hey all, I needed a reality church here. The AI is always plugged in when at home or in storage. The fridge is turned on, I have added and modified the 12v plugs but... When I unplug the AI, the house batteries drop to 10v almost immediately. Can something be draining it that quickly? Are the batteries bad? Can I test it somehow?

Then. Last night as we were driving to Dallas the inverter shut off twice after being on for an hour.

Help this newbie please.

P. S. I did buy a 2018 that they had on the lot for a while. Dunno if that makes a difference.
TX-Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:10 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 🥂👍

Yep...sounds like the dealer may not have paid attention. Go back ASAP and have them checked & replaced.
What brand are they?
I went to Interstate directly for my first warranty replacement at delivery, changed brands,(AGM's), two years later for my second and 11yrs for the lithiums.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Batteries are bad.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had the same thing when I bought my used 2014.5. Probably from the same dealer if you look at my address. They, at that time left the Interstates sitting unlocked on the yard where some looky-lou could easily turn on the battery disconnect and leave it on for days.

I had one barely working battery and one that dropped almost instantly to 9 volts. New batteries fixed the problem and have been working fine since.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Newbie View Post
Hey all, I needed a reality church here. The AI is always plugged in when at home or in storage. The fridge is turned on, I have added and modified the 12v plugs but... When I unplug the AI, the house batteries drop to 10v almost immediately. Can something be draining it that quickly? Are the batteries bad? Can I test it somehow?

Then. Last night as we were driving to Dallas the inverter shut off twice after being on for an hour.

Help this newbie please.

P. S. I did buy a 2018 that they had on the lot for a while. Dunno if that makes a difference.
If you have Lifeline batteries, call Lifeline Batteries and explain the situation to them. They are aware of the issue with AI dealers not keeping batteries charged and will usually work with you on discounted replacement batteries. May be a good time to upgrade to 6v Lifelines.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Being a newbie myself and not having prior experience with these type batts & inverter/charging systems - would the EQUALIZE process help batts at this level? Maybe worth trying? Or is it too far down to revive?
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Being a newbie myself and not having prior experience with these type batts & inverter/charging systems - would the EQUALIZE process help batts at this level? Maybe worth trying? Or is it too far down to revive?
Could try but probably toast.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Thanks all. I have someone coming to check out our next week? Will I have to come out of pocket for new ones? I'll be calling the dealership if that's the case
Old 02-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
It’s a sad fact that dealers let their “inventory” just sit. Once someone is interested, I suspect they plug the trailer in and do the PDI. A battery left for week after week in a brand new Airstream, and which sits on the lot, eventually drops to the threshold where it can no longer hold a charge. The tiniest phantom load will kill it.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks all. I have someone coming to check out our next week? Will I have to come out of pocket for new ones? I'll be calling the dealership if that's the case
I wouldn't back down from buying a bad battery from a dealer. My batteries were bad when I bought it despite the dealer's "exhaustive inspection". I immediately notified the dealer, paid for the repair back home, and made them pay for it. One of the biggest scams in RV sales IMO.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:

Help this newbie please.

Hi TX-Newbie,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 02-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #12
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi TX-Newbie,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Can't believe how you folks act all surprised to learn of the issues this poster is having. It is a well known fact that many Airstream dealers fail to maintain the batteries on their Interstate inventories. I became aware of the issue on my 2014 Interstate and I'm sure it went on well before then. Lifeline is well aware of it and has been good about stepping up to the plate and offering a discount on replacement batteries even though they are not the cause of the issue. It is your dealers who are at fault and should be replacing the damaged batteries at no cost to the owner.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I had read the forum before buying Titus 2000 miles from home. I asked them to charge batteries before we picked it up. They did (or said the did) and pronounced them to be OK. The drive home proved they weren't OK. I didn't want to try to fight the dealer long-distance, and figured he would simply claim that I ruined them on the way home. Instead I contacted Interstate who shipped my new batteries at cost. Airstream and/or dealers should not install batteries until the unit is sold if they can't/won't treat the batteries correctly for the weeks/months that the unit is sitting on the lot.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I can add my voice to chorus. Batteries were toast when I purchased my AI used from a non Airstream Dealer. They told me in writing that they were good before purchase. It took several follow ups to get them to replace the batteries but they really dragged their feet. Lifeline would not help as I was the second owner. All in all, it worked out.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilly43 View Post
I can add my voice to chorus. Batteries were toast when I purchased my AI used from a non Airstream Dealer. They told me in writing that they were good before purchase. It took several follow ups to get them to replace the batteries but they really dragged their feet. Lifeline would not help as I was the second owner. All in all, it worked out.
There are three guarantees in life...death, taxes, and dead house batteries with a dealer purchased used Interstate!
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
There are three guarantees in life...death, taxes, and dead house batteries with a dealer purchased used Interstate!

LOL. Seems that way.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
UPDATE:

Lifeline is stepping up to help out here but the next dilemma is do i convert to 6V instead of 12? I know it would require some fabrication for the trays. Has anyone found a 3rd party option for this? I am not as skilled as some members on this forum (You know who you are!) to do it myself.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
I also have been looking for a third party option but came up empty. I contacted DIYVAN.com since they fabricate parts for conversions but Hein declined to make these. He stated that he prefers to put the weight in front of the rear wheels. Wouldn't we all. Please post if you find someone. Boxster recently provided me with photos of his custom solution. It looks pretty good but I am not able to take on this fabrication project either.
Going to the 6V batteries seems like the best capacity available in AGM batteries but if I can't find a tray I am comfortable with, I will have to pull the trigger on adding the OEM trays to the other side, stay with Group 24 form factor and hope that it is enough.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Hi All,

Wanted to provide an update. Lifeline shipped to 12V batteries to me at a discount and I just had them installed. I have a mobile guy assess the system before and even though he thought the the existing batteries were ok, once he put the new ones in.. Boom. No issues with the batteries immediately dropping to 10V. I hope to see the benefits of this as we get out on the road soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
You should definitely look into the mods you can do to reduce the parasitic loads. Add a switch for the gas valve. Turn off the inverter and/or add a battery disconnect device to the inverter when not using your coach This forum has these well documented.