Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Miami Beach , Florida
Battery Disconnect Switch Issue

The battery disconnect switch on our 2014 Interstate will not switch off. Whether you flick the switch up or down, the red light stays on...until it drains the battery when the RV is idle. Any ideas on a quick fix for a not-so-handy person like me? Thanks in advance for your time.
ATE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The light stays on in either switch position when you're hooked to shore power. When not connected to shore power the light should go off when the switch is turned to off.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Buy a manual disconnect switch that mounts on the battery terminal. It will be a positive mechanical disconnect. Get a battery trickle charger while in storage.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
The light stays on in either switch position when you're hooked to shore power. When not connected to shore power the light should go off when the switch is turned to off.
Yep- I am not hooked up to shore power. Just driving around the country...and it won't turn off. Was hoping there was a quick fix that could avoid a trip to the shop.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Yours is a 2014, so that means you're using the remote switch, right? There should still be a big red manual switch on the curb side inside the hatch under the sofa next to the fuse panel. Use that one until you can get the remote one fixed.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Right as usual, Protagonist. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
One more question- with the battery disconnect switch not working by sliding door and using the manual red switch under couch, does it matter how far I turn it and/or whether or not I turn it on/off a couple times a day? Also, does the engine need to be when I turn the switch? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE123 View Post
One more question- with the battery disconnect switch not working by sliding door and using the manual red switch under couch, does it matter how far I turn it and/or whether or not I turn it on/off a couple times a day? Also, does the engine need to be when I turn the switch? Thanks.

You can't turn it any farther than it will go. It should be about a quarter turn from on to off.

I'd turn it on and off with the engine off, mostly for the protection of your Battery Isolation Module (BIM) which is a relay that connects your house and chassis electrical system so that your alternator can charge both sets of batteries at once.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Copy that. Thanks again.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Copy that. Thanks again.

Mine is doing the same thing! (I posted in another thread too). Did you ever get this fixed? Thanks
e93pvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
When I replaced my batteries I had problems getting things to work again. Cut off switch didn't work; 30amp service wouldn't switch over, scared me.

Not sure what sequence was that made it all work but Started the vehicle and let it run for3-5 minutes, then started the generator for 2-3 minutes, then when I shut the generator off the 30 AMP came on and all the switches started working fine.

Might just try that - maybe it does a reboot on some switch or something; not sure. But I can't count the number of times I've fixed employees computers by having them turn it off and on again!.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
San Luis Obispo , California
My 2008 Safari batter disconnect switch is stuck off. No little red light even when connected to shore power. No lights will come on etc. what can I do?
CEGorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I believe that on some versions there are two fuses, one on each side of the solenoid. Check those fuses if yours has them.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
I checked both green fuses and wires look connected. Still no power but solar system should have kept batteries going whether or not on store or use. Still think it is stuck in store position. No red light either way. Need to take it somewhere tomorrow and am freaking out.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
By the way, I don't really know where the solenoid is. I just went back out to recheck the system in case it all was miraculously working, but still no red light on battery disconnect switch. I have it plugged into to shore power. Solar system should have been working anyway to charge the batteries and it shows they are. Still can't turn on lights, monitor etc. Befuddled.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

fairfax station , va
Disconnect switch

Quote:
The battery disconnect switch on our 2014 Interstate will not switch off. Whether you flick the switch up or down, the red light stays on...until it drains the battery when the RV is idle. Any ideas on a quick fix for a not-so-handy person like me? Thanks in advance for your time.
The BEP "manual" disconnect is motor driven. the rocker switch at the door remotely turns it on and off. The BEP has a third position to the far right which is a manual override. (on)

When in the third position the switch is always on and the door switch LED stays lit even when shore power is disconnected.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I believe previous posts said something about the electric cut-off switch getting out-of-sync with the manual switch that it is supposed to turn. Unfortunately I don't remember what was done to get them back in sync. (I don't have the electric switch by the door, so the solution did not get filed away in the recesses of my mind.)
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I believe previous posts said something about the electric cut-off switch getting out-of-sync with the manual switch that it is supposed to turn. Unfortunately I don't remember what was done to get them back in sync. (I don't have the electric switch by the door, so the solution did not get filed away in the recesses of my mind.)
Ditto. But common sense says that if you manually put both switches in the "Off" position, they should then work in concert with each other as long as you only use the switch by the door and leave the other alone.