Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Miami Beach , Florida
Battery Disconnect not turning on...

I apologize in advance if I have posted about this before, but the battery disconnect on my 2014 Airstream Interstate will not turn on...which means I can't turn the generator on...and I'm not near shore power. (The vehicle is idle in my driveway.) The dealership told me to leave the vehicle is in the sun, which it is, and the solar panels should give the battery enough juice to flick back on so I can run the generator...but that is not working. Is there a quick step-by-step fix someone can offer for a dummy (me)?

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds!
ATE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Did you try turing the switch back under the couch manually? The electric switch on the sliding door area controls the motorized rotating switch for the battery, as I seem to remember on my traded-away 2014/13 AI.

And yes, you may need some time to charge up the battery via the solar panel. And make sure you have all appliances that could draw power from the battery also turned off while you are trying to charge the battery, including the TV amplifier in the overhead cabinet.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
If the coach batteries are flat, then the motorized disconnect switch cannot function.
To get the generator running, try this:
Start the chassis (Mercedes) engine and let it run for 5 minutes. Keeping the engine running, see if the disconnect switch will then turn on correctly. Then switch on the propane gas solenoid in the box behind the right rear wheel. Then from inside attempt to start the propane generator. If that starts up, you can switch off the chassis engine, and allow the generator to continue charging up the batteries.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The batteries can be fully charged but if the manual/motorized disconnect switch is in the OFF position, the generator can't be started and the propane can't be turned on. At least that's how mine works.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
If the coach batteries are flat, then the motorized disconnect switch cannot function.
To get the generator running, try this:
Start the chassis (Mercedes) engine and let it run for 5 minutes. Keeping the engine running, see if the disconnect switch will then turn on correctly. Then switch on the propane gas solenoid in the box behind the right rear wheel. Then from inside attempt to start the propane generator. If that starts up, you can switch off the chassis engine, and allow the generator to continue charging up the batteries.
^^^ This is what I would try ^^^
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If the engine is running and the house batteries are low (below 80%), the BIM should link the 2 battery banks together to allow charge from the alternator into the house batteries.

The gen. start is on the house batteries, so the charging current from the alternator should suffice to start the gen.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I had a similar problem on my 2012 28ft FC last year. The solenoid/contactor would not latch or disconnect even with full charge on the batteries. I replaced the solenoid myself for $65 and all is perfect now. Even when the trailer was new it was a little sticky so...I suspect it was bad from the get go.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Thanks for everyone's advice.

Now the battery disconnect is on, but the generator won't turn on. The propane is on, but the generator won't work. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Can you measure the voltage of the house batteries?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE123 View Post
Thanks for everyone's advice.

Now the battery disconnect is on, but the generator won't turn on. The propane is on, but the generator won't work. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Need to be a little more specific here for us to understand this:
1) What did you do to get the battery disconnect on? Did you start the chassis engine and let it run, and then it turned on from the door switch?
2) Does the generator turn over with its own starter button?
3) Have you confirmed there is propane available by lighting any of the burners?
4) Do the interior lights come on when the battery disconnect is on?

Your dealer ought to have gone over these things with you when you bought it, and hopefully you had established a friendly relationship with him; you may need to use him to get this going.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Are there any red flashes on the starter switch? IIRC, there is a manual push button to start the generator on the generator itself. You will need to check the Onan manual to verify this and its location.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Need to be a little more specific here for us to understand this:
1) What did you do to get the battery disconnect on? Did you start the chassis engine and let it run, and then it turned on from the door switch?
2) Does the generator turn over with its own starter button?
3) Have you confirmed there is propane available by lighting any of the burners?
4) Do the interior lights come on when the battery disconnect is on?

Your dealer ought to have gone over these things with you when you bought it, and hopefully you had established a friendly relationship with him; you may need to use him to get this going.
YES to #1, #3 and #4. No to #2. I have a call into the manager at my dealership to try other options, but I should not have to manually start the generator by sliding under the vehicle when this happens.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE123 View Post
YES to #1, #3 and #4. No to #2. I have a call into the manager at my dealership to try other options, but I should not have to manually start the generator by sliding under the vehicle when this happens.
The Onan Manual indicates a 5 amp fuse located on the generator itself to protect the control and remote control circuits. Perhaps that needs replacing. The remote control circuit would be the generator start/stop switch inside the display panel.

Didn't you have similar issues last year? Perhaps the same fuse keeps blowing.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
I did have the same issue last year- you're good! But, I brought it to the dealer...they dealt with it...and I never learned (or remembered) the cause/solution. I'll mention your idea to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums