Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
3bcamper's Avatar
 
2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 163
Bad Battery-FYI

I began receiving trouble messages on the dashboard. The pictures are attached. The problem turned out to be a bad coach battery (MB). My battery was 10 years old, so it was bound to happen. However before it goes bad, the voltage begins to drop, and it can cause ancillary issues and erroneous messages. It turns out that there was nothing wrong with the traction control systems; the low battery voltage caused those messages Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	324716to appear. FYI. 2008 Sprinter, 2009 AI conversion.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	324720Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	324721Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	324722Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	324723Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	324724
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 16,093
Hmmm, good to know, but thatís a really old coach battery.

We have always replaced ours every 3-4 years, another good reason to do so.

Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
3bcamper's Avatar
 
2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hmmm, good to know, but thatís a really old coach battery.



We have always replaced ours every 3-4 years, another good reason to do so.



Maggie


Maggie,

I actually donít know the age of the battery. I bought this in Feb. 2017 and there were zero maintenance records. I did visuals every few months, but other than pulling and testing it, thereís not much you can do.

Tim
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
I began receiving trouble messages on the dashboard. The pictures are attached. The problem turned out to be a bad coach battery (MB). My battery was 10 years old, so it was bound to happen. However before it goes bad, the voltage begins to drop, and it can cause ancillary issues and erroneous messages. It turns out that there was nothing wrong with the traction control systems; the low battery voltage caused those
3BCAMPER - I was confused coz you said "coach battery" then "MB". Can I assume you meant the chassis battery? Those messages with "Visit Workshop" kinda unusual & funny coz it's not a phrase we use in US. Must be a Deutchland to English translation
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
3bcamper's Avatar
 
2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 163
Bad Battery-FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
3BCAMPER - I was confused coz you said "coach battery" then "MB". Can I assume you meant the chassis battery? Those messages with "Visit Workshop" kinda unusual & funny coz it's not a phrase we use in US. Must be a Deutchland to English translation


Yes, the chassis battery. Apparently Iím still learning the lingo. I thought the non-engine batteries, those that serve the motorhome refrigerator, entertainment, water pump, etc. were the ďHouseĒ batteries. In my case, it was the chassis battery, the one that serves the engine functions, that went bad.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
Yes, the chassis battery. Apparently I’m still learning the lingo. I thought the non-engine batteries, those that serve the motorhome refrigerator, entertainment, water pump, etc. were the “House” batteries. In my case, it was the chassis battery, the one that serves the engine functions, that went bad.
3BCAMPER - You are not alone. . Took me forever to learn them too. I hear people use AS, AI, coach, house, rear, or deep cycle battery interchangeably. Then use MB, chassis, engine, front, or starter battery interchangeably. So confusing.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,396
Bad Battery-FYI

Starting batteries, by wifeís insistence, get replaced at end of warranty with shiny new ones. Cuts down on the chance of getting stranded in Ďsketchy placesí according to her.

Same attitude applies to tires and engine thermostats.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
3bcamper's Avatar
 
2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Starting batteries, by wifeís insistence, get replaced at end of warranty with shiny new ones. Cuts down on the chance of getting stranded in Ďsketchy placesí according to her.

Same attitude applies to tires and engine thermostats.

Sounds like a good plan. I was able to start the engine from the house/coach/rear/AS/AI/deep cycle batteries. So, in a pinch, you have a backup.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
3BCAMPER - 10 yrs for a starting battery in MN is amazing - you had 2-3 life's worth. I hope you replaced with same brand . I never got 4-5 yrs. in Chicago or LV. Only time I got over 5 yrs. was in So Cal
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
3bcamper's Avatar
 
2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 163
Bad Battery-FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
3BCAMPER - 10 yrs for a starting battery in MN is amazing - you had 2-3 life's worth. I hope you replaced with same brand . I never got 4-5 yrs. in Chicago or LV. Only time I got over 5 yrs. was in So Cal


Alex, it turns out the battery was in fact the original, dating from 2007. I donít know the history of this vehicle, as I bought it used in Feb 2017, with 53,000 miles on it. It was originally purchased from Colonial in New Jersey. It has not spent its entire life in Minn. I believe I am the 4th or 5th owner. There were no maintenance records at all. I searched and searched for maintenance records, but nothing has surfaced.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 16,093
Just FYI, you can go into an Interstate Battery place and they will check your batteries for free.

They also install them with no labor costs.

I replaced the starting battery on my new-to-me a couple of months ago, because I didn’t know how old it was and it was showing some rust.

I keep a record of when mine are replaced, and when I get to the 3 year mark, I get a new one...trying to avoid little surprises at inopportune moments.

It’s incredible that you had a battery that old that was still functioning.

Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
Alex, it turns out the battery was in fact the original, dating from 2007. I donít know the history of this vehicle, as I bought it used in Feb 2017, with 53,000 miles on it. It was originally purchased from Colonial in New Jersey. It has not spent its entire life in Minn. I believe I am the 4th or 5th owner. There were no maintenance records at all. I searched and searched for maintenance records, but nothing has surfaced.
3BCAMPER - that's even more! 11 yrs. I don't know anyone here who can beat that performance. I guess they don't make newer batteries like they used to. What brand/series was it?
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
3bcamper's Avatar
 
2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
3BCAMPER - that's even more! 11 yrs. I don't know anyone here who can beat that performance. I guess they don't make newer batteries like they used to. What brand/series was it?


It was a Mercedes Benz Varta battery. I have a photo that I will have to post later.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
3bcamper's Avatar
 
2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Just FYI, you can go into an Interstate Battery place and they will check your batteries for free.

They also install them with no labor costs.

I replaced the starting battery on my new-to-me a couple of months ago, because I didnít know how old it was and it was showing some rust.

I keep a record of when mine are replaced, and when I get to the 3 year mark, I get a new one...trying to avoid little surprises at inopportune moments.

Itís incredible that you had a battery that old that was still functioning.

Maggie


Maggie,

I would have replaced this myself, but I wanted to make sure there were no problems with the alternator/charging system. There had been an intermittent message (in addition to those I included) which indicated there was a problem with he battery/charging system. I was not able to get a picture of that, as it was intermittent and infrequent. I didnít want to put a good battery into a bad charging system and risk ruining a new battery.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
Air99's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
3BCAMPER - that's even more! 11 yrs. I don't know anyone here who can beat that performance. I guess they don't make newer batteries like they used to. What brand/series was it?

My original Porsche battery lasted 7 years and were replaced by a Kirkland branded Costco in 2007, itís still going strong with a $10 trickle charger hooked up to it (light duty of a fair weather garage queen )
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Marathon, Bad Marathon ROBERTSUNRUS Tires 45 11-01-2015 03:46 PM
how bad is too bad a dent? prairieschooner Exterior Restoration Forum 26 07-21-2010 01:40 PM
Outriggers - How bad is too bad? MDSilverado Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 10 05-06-2010 03:38 AM
Bad Batteries, Bad Univolt or Both -- Please Help Jabreyd13 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 21 07-14-2009 07:19 AM
Bad Bad Things... (a new 454 Engine?) pillageTHENburn Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 24 12-19-2005 12:49 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.