Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Backup / front facing camera upgrade

As we all know, the backup camera is more of a rear view camera then designed for parking. You can't really see how close you are to the bumper and the corners are even worse.

I also have a hard time nosing in right to the bumper as I'm afraid I'll touch, but I don't want the back hanging out any further then it has too.

Thus, I'm looking at adding another camera to the front and rear.

My idea is to run the second rear camera to the kenwood so I will actually see both views when backing up.

For the front, I'm going to run into the v2 input of the rear view camera. Then I can just switch over with the push of a single button.

I'm planning on using the same alpine camera for the front, mounted in the grill. (Likely in the Mercedes logo)

I'm going to play with a couple different options for the back. My first 2 thoughts are mounting a camera in a hitch cover. (Detachable in case I need to use the hitch) or a license plate mount. Im not optimistic about the license plate mount though, because of the plate being so offset.

Anyone else have thoughts or opinions?

(I'd thought about running a camera to see the back lounge area when I'm driving and hooking that up to the V2 input of the backup monitor instead, but my wife thought that was a bit silly!)
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have a post somewhere showing install of my 4 camera system.. helps with my visual handicap! Check out RVS system... search for it...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1294166
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
(I'd thought about running a camera to see the back lounge area when I'm driving and hooking that up to the V2 input of the backup monitor instead, but my wife thought that was a bit silly!)
I like the idea and find it most helpful actually, though I accomplished it in a much more low tech way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream cabin view mirror 2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	192402  
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post

I like the idea and find it most helpful actually, though I accomplished it in a much more low tech way.
Perfect if that works for you!!! I truly wish I could do that, too

The night vision option and other features of my system really can't compare.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I don't have an Interstate, but I use a camera to aid in hitching up our trailer.

After years of pulling horse and equipment trailers, where close is good enough because one can kick or shove the tongue to get it over the ball, I was frustrated with the precision the Airstream required. One can't move it as easily.

The first was an add on for a engine computer controller. The camera was on a magnet, and I placed it right on the top of the hitch and the learning curve for what was "dead on" on the display was flat. I picked it up quickly.

We traded rigs, and I chose a truck with a factory camera. It is mounted in the tailgate release handle, and is slightly off-center of the ball.

It was tougher to learn what the camera was telling me. I finally gave up and placed a cone in a parking lot and simply practiced until I got it right. I am now as comfortable with it as I was the old one.

I understand the hypocrisy in what I am about to say, but I wonder how much skill this added technology takes away from us.

Proximity sensors in every direction, cars that park themselves, cruise controls that slow down for traffic.

All things that will offer a false sense of control to the driver. Which, in the end, will allow more multitasking, emailing, and texting. Seemingly negating any improvement in safety.

10,000 hour pilots crashed an airplane full of people in San Francisco because they forgot how to land the aircraft by hand.

Sorry to rant and derail your thread. Just thoughts that came to me.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I calibrated my monitor by placing cones at known distances in the rear and then labeling the monitor w/ the distance. Can't see the bumper but now I know where it is wrt to the camera's minimum distance.

Last year when my monitor failed (a common failure from what I've read on the forum), I had to use the mirrors and found that after relearning that method, I hardly use the monitor anymore.

Use an add-on visor rear to monitor the activities in the rear.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote