Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2022, 06:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Back up camera/rear mirror total blur

Anyone experience this or have a remedy other than replacement? It's been bad from day 1 but I kind of thought it was normal. I use my side mirrors for driving because the camera images are not good. Trying to find answers on YouTube, it seems water may be inside the cameras producing fog. Since mine have been like this from beginning, if replacement only answer, how do you prevent it in future. And where would you go for replacement if you don't have abilities to do yourself?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:41 AM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Most any professional up-fitting shop that handles radio / multimedia upgrades for cars and boats should be able to replace any fogged cameras at a lower cost than a MB dealer, should you wish to go that route.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Most any professional up-fitting shop that handles radio / multimedia upgrades for cars and boats should be able to replace any fogged cameras at a lower cost than a MB dealer, should you wish to go that route.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
I may have answered this on Facebook...but, you might consider not using your side cameras and put your rear view camera on your display constantly. To do this, you have to remove the center light lense and lighting assembly. You'll find a small circuit board with inputs from each camera and a single output to the display. Thru trial and error, find the rear view camera input, remove it. Remove the display output and connect them together bypassing all the switching to the side cameras when you have your turn signal on. I'd suggest this for somewhat handy techies or someone not afraid of a little disassembly and reassembly of the light.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I had condensation in my camera this year and had to replace it. It was a bit of a hassle because I had to get the right connectors. Once I had all the right stuff it wasn’t that big of a deal. If you are handy with the right tools it is about an hour job.
1) You will need a heat gun to shrink the connectors.
2) You will need smaller size butt heat connectors.
3) And I had to get some smaller wire to bridge from the small wiring on the camera to the larger wirer on the Airstream.
4) Get some silicone sealer to seal up the holes etc.
5) Obviously wire strippers and crimpers for the butt heat connectors.

A shop would able to do this quite quickly if you can get in.

As to how to prevent condensation that is a real good question. I did put sealant all around the rear camera where there could be a problem of water getting in. Really have no idea what else can be done.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
My 2019 Atlas has a problem with the drivers side camera. When I turn on the left side turn signal the view on the screen says no signal. My local dealership in central Florida has been aware of this problem for months. They emailed me to say the factory wants a picture of the problem that shows the no signal message. I guess the factory won't take the dealers word for the issue. It is very frustrating for an owner to deal with something like this. I am still waiting for a reply from the dealer to schedule to take the picture of the problem. The view from the other cameras are fuzzy as well.
RGJZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
So I went to Mercedes just to find out if it's their problem and what would be involved. They wanted $170 for a diagnostic. I said no, I'm pretty sure I already diagnosed the problem...water in the camera. But I also went in because my center onsole 12 volt not working. The fuse for this is 25!! If I had had a 25, I would have just replaced it myself to see. Again they wanted $170 for a diagnostic...I said no, just check the fuse. So fuse blown, they replaced. Then I said I wanted to talk to the tech to find out why it blew...the only thing I use it for is phone GPS while traveling with a USB plug adapter (since I can't rely on MS Fusion) So he came out and said Apple phones blow them all the time...I'm android. Anyway, he said he thought Mercedes had corrected the problem with the Apple phones, but they recommended increasing fuse to 30 which he did. He also said the camera issue is water, it is not Mercedes installed...it is Airstream and only remedy is to replace. So, that was $40. A bit high for a fuse but at least I got some info, plus I didn't know you could swap one size fuse for another...hope he knew what he was talking about. It is working. I'll check with a local car/truck audio shop to just replace the whole camera system for something better. Does anyone recommend and brands?
Old 01-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJZ06 View Post
My 2019 Atlas has a problem with the drivers side camera. When I turn on the left side turn signal the view on the screen says no signal. My local dealership in central Florida has been aware of this problem for months. They emailed me to say the factory wants a picture of the problem that shows the no signal message. I guess the factory won't take the dealers word for the issue. It is very frustrating for an owner to deal with something like this. I am still waiting for a reply from the dealer to schedule to take the picture of the problem. The view from the other cameras are fuzzy as well.
Unfortunately this is a problem when dealing with 2 companies...Mercedes and Airstream. I've had several issues that required a lot of back and forth...just be super persistent! My original fusion was miswired and ended up blowing the speakers...all of them. Airstream replaced fusion and rear speakers. Front speakers were Mercedes so I had to get Mercedes to do it, pay for it, submit receipts to Airstream and wait 3 months for reimbursement.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #9
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yes, we found the same with the camera on the back of our AI. The crummy camera up there in back was an Airstream addition. Even when working properly it couldn't see the rear bumper because it was mounted above the curvature of the back door. It's a terrible, no good, horrible, awful, bad camera. When we had our radio head / speakers, etc. replaced at a professional shop, we had them put a legit MB-style rear camera up there so we can now see the rear bumper while backing up. They left the old one in place so they wouldn't have to stop up any holes, but it's dead now. We also had them install a wide-angle camera on the rear door near the license plate so we have a clear view out the back. That camera is routed to the media screen on our new Pioneer radio, while the upper camera signal still goes to the rear view mirror.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
This makes me cringe as a large (100) box of fuse assortment is around $10.00.

You really should invest in one and keep it in your Interstate. We’ve probably replace five fuses along the way, especially with the macerator blowing them.

Twice now, we’ve had the alarm sound and have to replace a fuse for it. You don’t want to be out on the road having it go off without the ability to replace it. We leave our fuse assortment in cabinet near the instruments. It takes up little space and is invaluable.

One note, Interstates are not really brand sensitive. Interstate used many components that are common to other RVs and trailers. If you want to save some money and ease, try consulting with an RV dealer/repair shop on your next fix. Or ask on the forum as there are many helpful members who can walk you through suggestions. You’ll probably save yourself a fortune in diagnostic fees averted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
So I went to Mercedes just to find out if it's their problem and what would be involved. They wanted $170 for a diagnostic. I said no, I'm pretty sure I already diagnosed the problem...water in the camera. But I also went in because my center onsole 12 volt not working. The fuse for this is 25!! If I had had a 25, I would have just replaced it myself to see. Again they wanted $170 for a diagnostic...I said no, just check the fuse. So fuse blown, they replaced. Then I said I wanted to talk to the tech to find out why it blew...the only thing I use it for is phone GPS while traveling with a USB plug adapter (since I can't rely on MS Fusion) So he came out and said Apple phones blow them all the time...I'm android. Anyway, he said he thought Mercedes had corrected the problem with the Apple phones, but they recommended increasing fuse to 30 which he did. He also said the camera issue is water, it is not Mercedes installed...it is Airstream and only remedy is to replace. So, that was $40. A bit high for a fuse but at least I got some info, plus I didn't know you could swap one size fuse for another...hope he knew what he was talking about. It is working. I'll check with a local car/truck audio shop to just replace the whole camera system for something better. Does anyone recommend and brands?
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
Dix Hills , New York
I just replaced both cameras from echo master and the rear camera with brake light due to fuzziness and haziness. Spoke to audio and video people and they said then lenses delaminate in time especially in hot weather. So, after 5 years of ownership just changed both today. I bought Echomaster FCT-MB1104 from eBay and replaced just the camera and bought the RVS-916619 From airstream dealer.
Flat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:17 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
Dix Hills , New York
Definitely need these cameras to work properly in order to drive safely. When calling Mercedes and airstream they all told me lenses were dirty but after cleaning them still the same thing. Really disappointed that they wear out so quickly. I have a 2018 interstate GT and cameras started to get blurry after 3 years. Very unsafe to drive. Not really hard to change but just amazing how bad that nobody knew what to do from airstream and asked if anyone had these problems and they all said this is the 1st they heard of this. From colonial airstream to Jackson OH, no help at all.
Flat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #13
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My rear-view camera has always been blurry while the side cameras have both been sharp.

Oddly enough, when driving in rain, the rear camera is always sharp.

Not dirt. Cleaning it does no good.

It is like the water on the lens corrects the focus.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I have a 2017 GT. Main rear camera really blurry now. Side cameras still OK.

Whole system is poor quality in my opinion. It's never been really sharp, or useful at night. (Flare from other cars wipes out the image).
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:19 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Just cleaned our 2017 GL for our first road trip of the season. I had pretty good success with using canned air to blow out water from lenses then wiped with isopropyl alcohol. Was very liberal with alcohol on cotton ball then repeated blowing with canned air. Read about this method somewhere and it did help. Moisture is the most likely reason for poor camera quality image.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

san diego , California
I use the low down not switched 12 volt outlet all the time for power to my iPad and iPhone simultaneously. No problems. The fuse for it is 10 amps. More than adequate for Apple or similar stuff.
CorkWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:24 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

san diego , California
Replacing a fuse with a higher rated fuse it not good. A fuse is for protection of the supported circuits/devices. Taken to the extreme, replacing a fuse with a piece of (thick) wire will enable ‘stuff’ to work until the original issue causes a fire. This may occur immediately or at a later time when for instance an intermittent short reoccurs for example due to a bump on the road.
The reason for a fuse is to protect your circuit/device should it have a problem by blowing the 10 cent fuse instead of a more serious expensive/dangerous issue.
CorkWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:10 PM   #18

Columbia , SC
We recently purchased a used 2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext from a private seller in TX. Back in South Carolina we realized that the RH Rearview Mirror was broken, not very noticeble or I would have seen it in TX. I believe that this is why the Blind Spot system malfunctioned all the way home from TX. In speaking with Airstream, the mirror must be purchased from Mercedes and the Camera from Airstream.

Does anyone have experience with replacing a broken RH Rearview Mirror??

Thanks,

KAB
IKHAYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:28 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Ocala , Florida
Our van came with the awful low resolution Pyle camera system that is completely unusable at night. They could do better.
KatieZ is offline   Reply With Quote