Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Back door tent - Tampa rv show

Had some free time during quick trip Fl and found out Tampa RV show was starting so ran by there on Wednesday.

Was cool to see the 19 in person and different manufacturers, etc.

Know some were looking for screen/tent options and saw this thing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5370.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	331961

Name:	IMG_5371.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	331962

Talked with them and Terry was the designer. Said they might make for other vans.

Name:	IMG_5354.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	482.4 KB
ID:	331963
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Interesting. My main concern is how small it packs down to.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Cool.

I once had a VW Westfalia camper, and it came with a full-size tent.

Made of heavy, oiled canvas and steel tubes.

Connected to the open (or closed) sliding van door.

Nice!

Except we set it up only once. Major hassle.

Had it been constructed of nylon, like most tents, with thin, aluminum poles, it might have been a winner.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
TOBBUN - Thanks. I remember seeing this awhile back but without the tent. I looked it up again and found their vid of the porach mod prior to them making the top/tent part. In fact, they talk about havin the tent manufactured shortly on the vid. I not sure how easy the tent is to setup (as ROWIEBOWIE & WHERESTREAM noted). But the platform idea interests me in how they made it so it is attached to floor and flips up to latch easily. But is also easily removed.

Name:   172A0087-300x199.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:	Rear porch Annotation 2019-01-18 104350.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	331967

Go 5:57 mark in vid. It pretty cool. I can envision making a shorter version for myself (to match my short stature) I also like that they made a cover for the side doors.

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
That tent looks promising, but I get a 404 when I try to go to their website.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
That tent looks promising, but I get a 404 when I try to go to their website.
Works for me earlier today and just 10 secs ago
https://www.embassyrv.com
Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We saw the same RV display at the Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa this week. We were intrigued with the tent idea and suspect this is the start of a new trend. Lots of people will like this feature and ask for it on other brands of Class B motorhomes. The tent is not suitable for us because we go, go, go when we travel in our Interstate. However, I can imagine plenty of people will find this a very useful idea for their Class B.

I was even more interested in the fact that Embassy RV uses lithium ion batteries exclusively and a high output alternator on the engine rather than a generator or solar panels.

But the biggest & best idea in my mind was the 12V, 20,000 Btu, roof mounted air conditioner. I was told it was adapted from a Toyota Prius. This seems like an idea that is long overdue in the RV world. Doh! I wish I'd thought of that! And the A/C unit is serviceable - recharge the Freon, replace hoses, etc. - rather than the typical disposable systems designed by Dometic and the like.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
We saw the same RV display at the Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa this week. We were intrigued with the tent idea and suspect this is the start of a new trend. Lots of people will like this feature and ask for it on other brands of Class B motorhomes. The tent is not suitable for us because we go, go, go when we travel in our Interstate. However, I can imagine plenty of people will find this a very useful idea for their Class B.

I was even more interested in the fact that Embassy RV uses lithium ion batteries exclusively and a high output alternator on the engine rather than a generator or solar panels.

But the biggest & best idea in my mind was the 12V, 20,000 Btu, roof mounted air conditioner. I was told it was adapted from a Toyota Prius. This seems like an idea that is long overdue in the RV world. Doh! I wish I'd thought of that! And the A/C unit is serviceable - recharge the Freon, replace hoses, etc. - rather than the typical disposable systems designed by Dometic and the like.
LUCIUS - I agree. their product does show lots of features not standard/found in most Class B's, as you noted:

Battery – UL 600ah Lithium Ion
Battery disconnect
Inverter (3000w/6000w peak)
Cord and inlet (30a Smart Plug)
280a additional alternator
Auto engine start
Refrigerator/freezer (12v) 6.8 c.f.
Ozone water purifier
12v Air conditioner 20,000 BTU
Water heater (110v/hydronic)
Fresh/gray collapsible water tanks – 23.5gal. each

BUT, the one thing I didn't like is they only put cassette toilets. No mention of black tank even optional. Deal breaker for us.

BTW - how cool is this hide-away 32" tv in a class B ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hideaway tv Annotation 2019-01-19 165338.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	332025  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This tent product really has me thinking. It appears to be a better option than many of the previous attempts at such a device.

Try this on for cognitive size / just thinking out loud here:

What if this could be tweaked into a true slide-out analog? Instead of having a side slide-out, something akin to an optional rear slide out?

It could resolve the living space issue for those vanners who insist on having a full fixed bed (as opposed to jack knife couches). Slide the main bed out into the tent to achieve a full six feet of additional living space inside while parked. Or not - leave the van buttoned up if the weather prohibits that.

Increasingly I'm being targeted by ads pertaining to the off-road community, because of some of the projects and product searches I've done recently (especially the MOLLE seat back organizer I installed). New and interesting things are imprinting on my computer screen. Some of the slides are versatile, such as this one from a company called Front Runner. There's plenty of scope for imagination in it (nod to Ann of Green Gables).
Old 05-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm declaring this old thread resurrected, rather than starting a new one. Van-related tent information has been spread among a few different historical threads - let's recap and expound for 2020, because I'm taking a hard look at this issue once again.

In normal times, I personally have less need for any kind of tent accessory. But these are not normal times. With the coronavirus pandemic has come movement restrictions and closures. I have greater interest now, as a result.

Here's another Sprinter tent example from 2017:

I don't recall that we ever discussed the Oztent. Boy, are they proud of their products!! (The prices!!):

Anyway, I've just re-commenced my search, and I'll post anything else interesting that I find.

I'm increasingly leaning toward a side tent rather than a back door tent. I'll get into that in a future post.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Lot's of choices out there. Kampa and Vango are big names in tents that go on backs and sides of RV's and vans. But just searching for RV tent or van tent into Google or Amazon gives you tons of choices.

We previously had a lightweight nylon tent by Tentris ArcHaus.

It got damaged by some really high winds in Newfoundland. Our current setup is this.

It's an airframe tent. Just lay it out, stake it down, and pump it up. We use it a a mudroom for the dogs as well as for storage of wet stuff and as a sunroom.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Continuous improvement before every year's major travel:

A few years back, I made this awning screen, following the good advice from another Air Forums member who posted a similar DIY job.

Trouble is, that thing takes a lot of time to set up and break down. If I want to take the van for a grocery store run, I'm pooched. It's more trouble than it's worth to take it down and put it back up again.

I'd prefer to have a tent structure I could un-hook from the van and simply move to the side without having to break it down. One with enough solid walls to it that I might also leave the slider open during the rain.

Big asks, but I always dream big. It has gotten me this far.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
A 45 second set up!

IMO, it’s hard to beat an easy up & down ready made screen tent!
Stowed at 62”, it even fits length ways across the back of our AI & comes in matching silver!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9ED23615-BF81-4D9A-AD22-2047294074B3.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	368851  
Rig Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
IMO, it’s hard to beat an easy up & down ready made screen tent!
Stowed at 62”, it even fits length ways across the back of our AI & comes in matching silver!
I agree that screen tents are a good option. I’ve been considering buying one. Could you share some details on the model in your photo and that source where they can be purchased?
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
It’s a ‘Venture’ model from Clam tents.
Found the silver color in stock online at Target.
If you go with a clam quick set tent be sure to also buy the sun/wind panels. They don’t come included!
Rig Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
It’s a ‘Venture’ model from Clam tents.
Found the silver color in stock online at Target.
If you go with a clam quick set tent be sure to also buy the sun/wind panels. They don’t come included!
Yes, that one is definitely on my current short list. The clincher for me is the wind panels that can also be bought with it.

The Amazon description says that the "tube" it packs down to is 63 inches long. Is that consistent with your knowledge?
Old 05-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Yes the tent packs easily into it’s storage bag with enough room inside to also store the wind panels & stakes.
It fits across the back of our rig and may even be less than 63” long.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4067354A-1147-4CFB-942E-3AB0AFB9FF84.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	368877  
Old 05-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Speaking of tents/canopys/shelters, I bought an EZ-Up 10' canopy years ago, took it on my first solo trip. Soon discovered all the legs need to move away from the center at the same time. It's not a one person job! I had to tie it to a tree and bounce it open.
Heavy and awkward. I think they've come a long way, but I'm of the opinion that if you need an additional room, your RV is too small.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #19
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We don't have a CLAM but know somebody who gets quite a bit a use out of theirs. Looking at the web site it appears the product is referred to as a Quick-Set Screen Shelter. Sounds fancy. Apparently once you own a CLAM nothing else will do. Our friend was able to take it out of the bag and "pop" it open in a very short period of time. Might have been more than 45 seconds but it didn't take long. Putting the stakes in the ground would take a few more moments. Couple of minutes total. For those who may be hearing about the CLAM for the first time, here's a video from YouTube...

2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
....I'm of the opinion that if you need an additional room, your RV is too small.
OR, maybe we are in the middle of a viral pandemic and there are restrictions on movement and access that were not there previously, thus prompting an adaptive examination of space-related alternatives.

Or maybe I need something to accommodate visitors, now that we are restricted from meeting up in normal ways, given that so much is shut, and will remain shut for some time to come.

Or maybe I simply need something to keep the rain off my chainsaw and other tools when I’m staying long-term on my property, and I don’t want to construct a permanent structure (or get a larger RV for that one small need).

Or any of a dozen other considerations.