Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Your mileage may vary

Currently Looking...
1990 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Casa Grande , Arizona
Question B190 back up camera install

My wife bought a 1990 B190 van and now would like a back up camera installed. I've put one in a Class A unit before but the 190 has me stumped on where to route the video cable after it passes through the top. I'd like to mount it high, of course, for the widest field of view.

I don't know how the 190 is constructed so I don't know where the blocked points are and of course I don't want to start drilling holes in the top unless I'm certain of what's behind the fiberglass and where the cable needs to be routed.

So, has anyone installed a back up camera on a 190 and can you give me some ideas of where and how to route the cable into the body? Once inside it's easy but getting inside has me stumped.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Doug
Corgifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I would look to mount it near the third brake light - mine doesn't actually have that brake light, but it has a patch where it would be.

Does yours have the magnifier thing on the rear window? Mine has one that lets you see a lot more than you'd normally be able to.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Your mileage may vary

Currently Looking...
1990 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Casa Grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I would look to mount it near the third brake light - mine doesn't actually have that brake light, but it has a patch where it would be.

Does yours have the magnifier thing on the rear window? Mine has one that lets you see a lot more than you'd normally be able to.
Thanks for the response, Skater. I looked at the high mount brake light first, I thought it might at least let me look up into the space between the roof and the headliner with a borescope to see what's in there but the brakelight case is mounted from the rear so it can't be removed without removing assorted interior panels or the medicine cabinet.

I do have the magnifier on the rear window and it works surprisingly well but the Mrs. wants a back up cam like we had on our Class A.

What I've decided to do is run the camera cable along the roof rack like the TV antenna and then into the interior at the same point the antenna enters the coach. That drops into a space that I can access from a removable panel inside the upper closet and from there I can snake it around fairly easily (fingers crossed) to the front of the van. It's a less elegant solution than a more direct route in but I don't want to pull off lots of panels inside or goof and drill a hole through the roof and hit a hard crossmember or drill into a space that's a dead end.

It would all be a lot easier if it were not 105° outside. Even after dark it's still past 100° and makes working in the van really miserable.

Thanks again for your comment.

Doug
Corgifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
That sounds like a good plan. Take some pictures for us.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote