Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2023, 07:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
B Class Toilet - BS!

Ok, so I’ve seen hundreds of Class B build videos with all types of toilets - dry flush, cassette, composting, incinerator and whatever type of toilets. No way - no how. On our next van build it will be and has to be a macerator black tank toilet. We did consider an incinerator toilet as an option though but not practical for us. We want to be able to use our toilet whenever and wherever. No controlling that whatsoever. I love watching these videos where they try to convince you on a particular type of toilet. No, we’ll pass on go with a blank tank and there is no convincing us on any other way.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
Ok, so I’ve seen hundreds of Class B build videos with all types of toilets - dry flush, cassette, composting, incinerator and whatever type of toilets. No way - no how. On our next van build it will be and has to be a macerator black tank toilet. We did consider an incinerator toilet as an option though but not practical for us. We want to be able to use our toilet whenever and wherever. No controlling that whatsoever. I love watching these videos where they try to convince you on a particular type of toilet. No, we’ll pass on go with a blank tank and there is no convincing us on any other way.
Agree - black tank with macerator has worked well for me over last 10 years.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Please continue to let us know your thoughts, whether on this child forum or another forum space as you go forward with this build you have planned. I enjoy hearing your perspectives and you are obviously not inhibited in voicing them (!).

I think the toileting method chosen has a lot to do with risk assessment in the context of travel objectives. My concern with the macerating option is reliability. Gosh knows we forum users have all heard complaint after complaint about them breaking down.

With my current primary travel objective, I will usually be 250 slow miles away from anyone who would have the capability to fix a mechanical toilet. For that reason, I’m inclined to stick with our crude gravity option. Its primary failure mode is valve failure, which is manageable in the field.

I’ll never forget the day that my husband flew from Houston Texas to Sydney Nova Scotia with a precious Valterra blade valve in his cabin baggage. I had driven up solo, and hours before he was due to get on a plane to meet me, the black tank would suddenly no longer seal, and I had to empty it and stop using it until that valve could be replaced. I picked him up at the airport and we headed to a safe parking lot so he could get down on the ground and get that job done, because at that point we were urban-boondocking with no other toilet access, and so we could not even go to sleep until that job was complete. If we’d had a macerator problem instead of a simple valve failure at that point, our vacation would have been ruined.

EDIT: I’m not sure why I stuck the definition of “learned” on the bottom of this old image below. Another thread context somewhere. My husband is certainly learned.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Please continue to let us know your thoughts, whether on this child forum or another forum space as you go forward with this build you have planned. I enjoy hearing your perspectives and you are obviously not inhibited in voicing them (!).

I think the toileting method chosen has a lot to do with risk assessment in the context of travel objectives. My concern with the macerating option is reliability. Gosh knows we forum users have all heard complaint after complaint about them breaking down.

With my current primary travel objective, I will usually be 250 slow miles away from anyone who would have the capability to fix a mechanical toilet. For that reason, I’m inclined to stick with our crude gravity option. Its primary failure mode is valve failure, which is manageable in the field.

I’ll never forget the day that my husband flew from Houston Texas to Sydney Nova Scotia with a precious Valterra blade valve in his cabin baggage. I had driven up solo, and hours before he was due to get on a plane to meet me, the black tank would suddenly no longer seal, and I had to empty it and stop using it until that valve could be replaced. I picked him up at the airport and we headed to a safe parking lot so he could get down on the ground and get that job done, because at that point we were urban-boondocking with no other toilet access, and so we could not even go to sleep until that job was complete. If we’d had a macerator problem instead of a simple valve failure at that point, our vacation would have been ruined.

EDIT: I’m not sure why I stuck the definition of “learned” on the bottom of this old image below. Another thread context somewhere. My husband is certainly learned. ]

Thanks InterBlog. I really enjoy reading your perspectives too and I’ve learned a lot from your posts and blog. Haven’t decided on how to document the build but will figure something out.

This is why I feel that it’s important to know your rig even the nasty and dirty components and how to fix them. Things break at the wrong time and a trip to a nearby Airstream dealer is not feasible and good luck trying to get an appointment anyway. Just like you and I’m guilty of carrying extra parts just “in case” - maybe too many!

I’ve even scoped out how to remove the black tank if need be. Not easy but doable. We added the gravity fed option just in case as well and be able to have options.

I feel pretty good about doing a repair on the road and the only tough part would be finding an area that we can drive up on the side to give it a bit of a lift on the side that would need to be worked on.

Now one more thing on the toilet videos. Most have some type of pull out compartment so that you can kick your significant other out of the van so that you can use the toilet in the middle of an open van area.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:11 AM   #5
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Black tank for sure in our next van. However, it will also have manual blade valves and a gravity dump. No macerator anywhere in our next van. I've already changed out one macerator pump, and that was one too many.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:02 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Buford , Georgia
Fore sure replacing a macerator pump is an ugly job but a job done only hopefully rarely. As oopsed to using and then storing a gravity waste hose is continuous job, every few days job.
Having used gravity systems on my prior campers, I find the convenience, ease and tidiness of the pumped system to be the way to go. Just storing the gravity waste hose on an Interstate is a problem. unless you want to replace the rear bumber or add a storage tube under the chassis.

I do like the idea of adding a manual/gravity dump (i suppose to the horizontal black pipe before the electric valve), in order to "save the day". Going to investigate that option and install that if or more likely when the macerator or elec. valve fails.
MnRocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Boxster, having said what you said in the post above in being pro-macerator, weren’t you the dude who also installed a gravity bypass in case it were ever needed?

Or am I recalling some other Sprinter & B Van poster? Someone with an NCV3 has done that mod - I’m sure of it.

Anyway, *IF* I ever went with a macerator, 100% I would also have the fall-back option of a gravity dump.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:34 PM   #8

Yeah, based on our prior experience (failed macerator pump, failed macerator hose reel, and failed macerator hose), now I'm starting to think maybe my next upgrade should be a "just in case" gravity bypass for our waste tank system so we can skip all that nonsense if something goes wrong. Then, if the bypass works out well, the next time something in that chain of fails breaks we can just have all that macerator stuff yanked out instead of repairing it all over again.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yeah, based on our prior experience (failed macerator pump, failed macerator hose reel, and failed macerator hose), now I'm starting to think maybe my next upgrade should be a "just in case" gravity bypass for our waste tank system so we can skip all that nonsense if something goes wrong. Then, if the bypass works out well, the next time something in that chain of fails breaks we can just have all that macerator stuff yanked out instead of repairing it all over again.
Definitely worth it as a backup. It's even better at a campground when you want to leave the gray water valve open for showers etc. when you are tied to city water. This way you don't have to go outside to dump the grey every so often.

Install is not hard but the PITA is having enough clearance to do the work and as always a game of freaking inches to make everything line up correctly. When I did it, I didn't have the step up blocks made up for it which would've been easier.

I did a small write on it on post # 64
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...-234941-4.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	429198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	429199  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	429200  
Old 03-17-2023, 07:10 AM   #10
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Black tank for sure in our next van. However, it will also have manual blade valves and a gravity dump. No macerator anywhere in our next van. I've already changed out one macerator pump, and that was one too many.
When the solenoid valve finally fails on my '04's gravity dump, it'll be replaced with a manual valve. I won't buy an RV with anything but a gravity dump. In the winter when I use my van and the plumbing remains winterized, I use a porta-potty on the shower floor. KISS.

And unlike IB's floorplan that has a black and gray tank, my floorplan has a single combined waste tank, so it's even simpler.

I absolutely do not understand why these systems in newer RVs have gotten so ridiculously complex. Everything that has an electronic actuator, from steps to blinds, is a failure point. And none of those tasks are so onerous that they can't be done manually. <SMH>
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:12 AM   #11
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
Definitely worth it as a backup. It's even better at a campground when you want to leave the gray water valve open for showers etc. when you are tied to city water. This way you don't have to go outside to dump the grey every so often.

Install is not hard but the PITA is having enough clearance to do the work and as always a game of freaking inches to make everything line up correctly. When I did it, I didn't have the step up blocks made up for it which would've been easier.

I did a small write on it on post # 64
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...-234941-4.html
Well done. You can work on the plumbing on MY van any ol' time!

It's a shame that what you did wasn't OE from the factory.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:19 AM   #12

I agree 110%. Simpler is nearly always better, especially when it comes to eliminating electronic actuators, relays and motors. When they work they look super-sexy, but they always fail eventually, and then they are sooo expensive to fix. Such a waste. Agree, didn't need electric steps, macerator fail chain, window shades, and more besides. All nonsense. I should have gone with something without all that foolishness, but the price was good on the used model we bought, and coming from a 2014 Airstream International 27FB with manual everything, we didn't realize just how deep that pool of electrical nonsense had gotten. Ah well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
When the solenoid valve finally fails on my '04's gravity dump, it'll be replaced with a manual valve. I won't buy an RV with anything but a gravity dump. In the winter when I use my van and the plumbing remains winterized, I use a porta-potty on the shower floor. KISS.

And unlike IB's floorplan that has a black and gray tank, my floorplan has a single combined waste tank, so it's even simpler.

I absolutely do not understand why these systems in newer RVs have gotten so ridiculously complex. Everything that has an electronic actuator, from steps to blinds, is a failure point. And none of those tasks are so onerous that they can't be done manually. <SMH>

Old 03-18-2023, 05:56 AM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
I agree 110%. Simpler is nearly always better, especially when it comes to eliminating electronic actuators, relays and motors. When they work they look super-sexy, but they always fail eventually, and then they are sooo expensive to fix. Such a waste. Agree, didn't need electric steps, macerator fail chain, window shades, and more besides. All nonsense. I should have gone with something without all that foolishness, but the price was good on the used model we bought, and coming from a 2014 Airstream International 27FB with manual everything, we didn't realize just how deep that pool of electrical nonsense had gotten. Ah well.
I found a '15 Great West Sprinter at an RV dealership here in Iowa a couple of years ago now that was almost a perfect build, all manual. Running boards (no step,) 6 gal standard water heater, propane, manual blinds, three way fridge, etc. etc.
Very much like the original T1N AI builds. Simple, standard RV stuff with none of the electronics in the build, except for a really well set up solar system, and at a great price. I should have grabbed it, but it was on the NCV3 chassis with DEF and all of the sensors (like yours.) I passed. While part of me is sorry I passed on it, because the build was as good as I'd ever seen, I really didn't want to get into the NCV3 chassis maintenance either.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:39 AM   #14

Yeah, not a huge fan of all the MB sensors in our NCV3 platform, but given we've been through the MB Dieselgate recall and now have an extended warranty on the emissions systems as well as new (hopefully more reliable) wheel speed sensors all around, we're OK with that part of our unit. As for the RV-specific stuff, after 2 years we've whipped it into good shape, replaced a bunch of the stuff we hated, yanked out extra seats and TV's we didn't need, completely replaced our van's suspension at Agile Offroad, and at the moment we're quite happy with it.

That's a good thing, as used Class B RV prices have already slipped low enough in the current market that we won't even consider selling it to get into something else. Gave it a shot about six months ago, but even then the used market was softer than we had expected.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Well done. You can work on the plumbing on MY van any ol' time!

It's a shame that what you did wasn't OE from the factory.
Thanks - it should be a standard option for both as it wouldn't cost them much to do it. I agree with you and Rocinante but I also enjoy the conveniences of the modern life. Do they break often - yeah. Worth it to us - yeah? However, that's why I like back-ups to the back-ups and redundancy - " just in case"

Overall, I think that the NCV3's are just the right fit. A little of both worlds in between. However, I have to admit that I'm scared of purchasing the new VS30 as I have no idea what to expect!