Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ventura , California
Awning sun shade attachment

Has anyone attached a Zip Dee sun shade to their awning? Any other attachment ideas?
Land Sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yes, easy job. You have to drill some holes and rivet in some snaps so make sure you can access a drill and a rivet gun.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
I’m also interested in this topic. Where did you install the snaps on the Fiamma awning?
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I have a ZipDee awning and the snaps go right on the roller after unrolling the awning to deployed.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Ahhhh. You have a trailer. Has anyone installed a Zip Dee solar shade on an Interstate with the Fiamma awning?
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
The Zip Dee web site says that the sun shade can be attached to an Interstates awning by using the cord that's sewn into the top of the shade. You can slide that cord into one of the 2 channels that run the length of the awning.

I wonder if the extra weight of the solar shade will have an effect on the wind sensor and make it retract more or less in windy conditions?

Our awning is so sensitive that it rarely stays open even in fairly calm winds!

So next time out, we're going to try staking the ends of our awning down to the ground and then pulling the fuse to try and enjoy the shade that it brings w/o retracting!

Good luck and please let us know how the sun shade reacts to the motion sensor on the Fiamma awning!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun Shade info.png
Views:	62
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	343799  
Old 06-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ventura , California
More info on sun awnibg

I suppose that once the shade is slid into the spaces that a rivet gun is needed to secure the ends?
Also, does the Interstate awning reel allow enough room for it to roll up with the awning?
Land Sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #8

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
My zip Dee doesn’t have an extra slot for this type, I got one that snaps onto the roller tube. You snap it back off before you roll it in.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We looked hard at this sunshade option, but we opted for the Costco 13' X 7' sunshade for $25 in dark gray similar to the ZipDee model. Using metal office binder clips the sunshade to the ZipDee awning overhang and we use bungie straps on upper corners to ends of the awning; metal steaks at either end on the bottom. If this doesn't last the summer, may opt for the ZipDee model...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena m View Post
Also, does the Interstate awning reel allow enough room for it to roll up with the awning?
DENAM - I do not know for sure, but just eye-ball'ing my Carefree roller enclosure, it sure does not seem like there's much spare room in there. If anyone has successfully done so, would love to see pics.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We looked hard at this sunshade option, but we opted for the Costco 13' X 7' sunshade for $25 in dark gray similar to the ZipDee model. Using metal office binder clips the sunshade to the ZipDee awning overhang and we use bungie straps on upper corners to ends of the awning; metal steaks at either end on the bottom. If this doesn't last the summer, may opt for the ZipDee model...
Just be careful! I used a set of small forceps to hold the shade on temporarily. When the wind picked up, my wife woke me out of a sound sleep and I pushed the button to retract the awning. One of the forceps cut right through my 3 week old awning!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena m View Post
I suppose that once the shade is slid into the spaces that a rivet gun is needed to secure the ends?
I believe that you would have to remove the ZipDee sun shade prior to rolling it up in our Fiamma awnings.

Unless you went with this brand then possibly that little bit of attached material might retract into our Interstates Awning without causing any issues. However, I'm with Alex, I don't think that there would be much room for additional material to be safely stowed within our closed awning case!

Old 06-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
I believe that you would have to remove the ZipDee sun shade prior to rolling it up in our Fiamma awnings.

Unless you went with this brand then possibly that little bit of attached material might retract into our Interstates Awning without causing any issues. However, I'm with Alex, I don't think that there would be much room for additional material to be safely stowed within our closed awning case!
RIGRAT - I thought about it some more, then upon reviewing the YouTube vid you supplied, it became more apparent this would work on awnings with roller mounted on lead rail. But with those like mine where the roller is INSIDE a fixed enclosure that stays fixed on the roof and the lead rail that extends has a fixed external cap, it could be problematic since there is no place for the leader zip strip to wind into. However, I can envision a very, very short leader zip trip that may work. One that is so short, it literally is just a zipper mounted on the inside of our Carefree or Fiamma leader cap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_143339.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	343932  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Just be careful! I used a set of small forceps to hold the shade on temporarily. When the wind picked up, my wife woke me out of a sound sleep and I pushed the button to retract the awning. One of the forceps cut right through my 3 week old awning!
Couple points:
1) either shade needs to be removed prior retracting the awning...even the Zipdee shade has grommets that have to be installed in the awning prior to use. Not sure if the ZipDee shade is worth the extra money yet over the Costco model, but will let you know how our "knock off" works for the summer.

2) When wind picks up and awning is "a flapping in the wind", wife has gone out and tended to the issue.. That being said, we don't have a power awning to deal with...(other than the wife!) But I will tell her to be sure to take off the clips and the sun shade prior to retracting, if a wind comes up again!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote