Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ninety Six , South Carolina
Awning on 2018 AI

Can the awning be secured to the ground for long stay application?
428303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428303 View Post
Can the awning be secured to the ground for long stay application?
My 2013 model came with built in poles to attach to side of van or secure to ground. It is an older model that is not self-supporting. But it is not suitable for long stay applications as it would be susceptible to wind damage.

The new self-supporting awnings, like the one on your 2018 Interstate, have a seismic sensor that automatically retracts the awning when exposed to winds that shake the awnings. You will need to disable that feature if you want to secure it to the ground.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks! The other night, we can back to the awning with major pockets of collected water: too heavy to retract on auto. Removed the water weight and hit retract... all good. Just thought If we could disable auto retract, we could stake it to run water.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I would not recommend deploying the older (or newer awnings) when unattended. They are designed to provide shade in relatively calm weather, not rain and wind. Like Boxster, we have the Fiamma awning with the poles. We were tailgating at a football game a few weeks ago and a sudden gust took the awning airborne. We were able to grab the posts and save it from getting damaged. If we hadn't been right there it would have flipped up and onto the top of the bus, causing all kinds of problems. I don't think awnings with the auto retract feature could have reacted quickly enough to prevent damage in a similar situation. I did notice that the other Class C and A RVs awnings were designed and built more substantially and had no issues with the wind and rain.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
I would not recommend deploying the older (or newer awnings) when unattended. They are designed to provide shade in relatively calm weather, not rain and wind. Like Boxster, we have the Fiamma awning with the poles. We were tailgating at a football game a few weeks ago and a sudden gust took the awning airborne. We were able to grab the posts and save it from getting damaged. If we hadn't been right there it would have flipped up and onto the top of the bus, causing all kinds of problems. I don't think awnings with the auto retract feature could have reacted quickly enough to prevent damage in a similar situation. I did notice that the other Class C and A RVs awnings were designed and built more substantially and had no issues with the wind and rain.
BURNTASPHALT - I used to think those Class A/C rv's with the huge Arnold Schwarzenegger supports were ugly & detract from the aesthetics of the rv. I still think that way . but now I realize those awnings are structurally the better units than mine. Everytime I am in camp, I retract mine when the slightest wind coz it just does not feel that robust (mine are armless, no side poles, only 3 folding supports that extend from top). And as the winds go stronger, those Class A/C still have theirs deployed and they just sit around under it without nary a worry.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I attend a ten day event each year where the wind blows quite suddenly, and with a lot of force-and it can be brutal. I have in the past used tie-downs and stakes, with two opposing tie-downs on each corner, and one in the middle of the awning. It was sufficient to keep any damage from occurring. Mine is the older model, with the arms that can be staked in the ground.

If I had the arm-less model, I wouldn't even consider opening it up.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks, I agree. We will never leave it unattended in the future.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Awning on 2018 AI

Same here. So far no problem with it retracting on its own with moderate wind or rain. I’m always asking for a shady site at campgrounds, just Incase awning does retract on its own. I’m thinking of trying to find a nice sturdy beach umbrella for next summer to store in back storage area for emergencies. As small as these class b’s are, being comfortable outside is a necessity. On another note, on my last camping trip there was a lot of pine straw that collected on awing before it retracted on its own. The minute you extend it to try to shake straw loose, it retracts. My trusted neighbor told me to extend it, then pull the fuse that controls it, clean out the straw, then replace fuse. Haven’t done it yet, but will try this weekend.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delores View Post
Same here. So far no problem with it retracting on its own with moderate wind or rain. I’m always asking for a shady site at campgrounds, just Incase awning does retract on its own. I’m thinking of trying to find a nice sturdy beach umbrella for next summer to store in back storage area for emergencies. As small as these class b’s are, being comfortable outside is a necessity. On another note, on my last camping trip there was a lot of pine straw that collected on awing before it retracted on its own. The minute you extend it to try to shake straw loose, it retracts. My trusted neighbor told me to extend it, then pull the fuse that controls it, clean out the straw, then replace fuse. Haven’t done it yet, but will try this weekend.
DELORES - we use these for the beach (we spend lots time at Orange County and Malibu). It is called Super Brella, 8 ft. diameter and folded is no bulkier than a golf umbrella and less than 55" long tip/tip. Not exactly a true patio/table umbrella due to the longer side wings. They are not detachable. But the side ports/windows have zippered openings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woot24-(1).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	323788   Click image for larger version

Name:	sportbrella-s1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	323789  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
DELORES - we use these for the beach (we spend lots time at Orange County and Malibu). It is called Super Brella, 8 ft. diameter and folded is no bulkier than a golf umbrella and less than 55" long tip/tip. Not exactly a true patio/table umbrella due to the longer side wings. They are not detachable. But the side ports/windows have zippered openings.

Nice. May look into.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote