Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Hopefully Airstream has improved the install of these Automotion Shades. I've now had a rear door shade toast a motor. Had to remove the rear interior panel to replace it. And on my current trip I just had another one eat it's own programming switch (twice this has happened). The programming leads can get tangled in the shade as it retracts and will rip the wires apart. I'll better engineer/secure that when I get home and repair. Crappy install by Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3002.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	275856  
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Temple City , California
Crappy workmanship for sure. Double sided tape to secure the wire harness is a joke. One of my night shade is not in sync with all night shade function. It'll work independtly, tried to re sync according to the manual but doesn't work. Any clues how to re sync with the rest?
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomanbob View Post
We've had our AS for about 10 days. Took out for its maiden trip over the weekend. The PS rear nite shade won't retract now. Printed out the User Manual from the manufacturer's website. Tried to re-program as described on p. 9, but no luck. Have an appt on the 20th to repair. We also noticed two shades that need a "limit adjustment" so they won't crinkle. Other than that, we enjoyed our first outing.
Similar problem with our '17 AI Touring - i.e., cargo door night shade refuses to close; dealership ordered parts over 3 weeks ago - still haven't arrived from Airstream! Seems ordering parts from Airstream is a frustrating and slow process!
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
The past several model years have migrated from manual to electric shades as you know. While the electric shades are sexy, they seemed poorly engineered and installed.

Our '17 unit has seen a dramatic improvement in the install and performance of the electric shades.

2017 4x4 Interstate
Bend, Oregon
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
If the rear shades will not operate, check the fuse. They are fused separately and mine would blow regularly. Switched to a 7.5 amp fuse and that stopped happening.

To re-synch, place the shade in the opposite position of the others and re-program. You will have to re-program the "ALL" Button as well.

What did they change in the '17 install?
Old 11-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
If the rear shades will not operate, check the fuse. They are fused separately and mine would blow regularly. Switched to a 7.5 amp fuse and that stopped happening.

To re-synch, place the shade in the opposite position of the others and re-program. You will have to re-program the "ALL" Button as well.

What did they change in the '17 install?
Assuming that both rear shades share the same fuse, I doubt it's a fuse since one rear shade works and the other doesn't. And it's ONLY the night shade on the passenger side cargo door which doesn't work. The sun shade on that door works fine!

Any ideas?
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 25' Globetrotter
Depere , Wisconsin
auto shades

I had a similar problem with one of my night shades i.e. It would work independently but not with all-shade mode. I eventually turned off all power to the rig and waited a minute, then reprogrammed the shade per the manual using the all-shade mode. All of the shades now work as specified.
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Ah, I didn't pick up that nuance. I had the same issue. Failed motor for the night shade. Sun and Night shade comes as a unit so you have to replace it in one go. If under a year, it is still under warranty. If not and you plan to do it, you have to pull the back door trim off. Not hard, but you need trim tools, patience and time. There are two spring clips that hold the blind in (on the glass facing side of the window. Push up and it releases the blind frame.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I've had two Automotion shades bite the dust. One the motor just failed. I think it was suspect from day one as it would blow a fuse on occasion. The second one was because AI didn't secure wiring well, the shade grabbed the programming lead and power lead while retracting and commenced to eat itself and wiped the motor limit.

I salvaged a motor from the previous rear-door shade set replacement to repair and changed the wiring location to keep the leads clear of moving parts.

I researched where to acquire motors should another one fail and the best I could get was an e-mail exchange with Automotion claiming that I should be able to buy them from Airstream as he knows they have a supply. So if you run into the situation where you need to replace a motor for a blind, here is the part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	277407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	277408  

Old 08-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I got a replacement motor from Automotion as goodwill. I installed it and it works but I can't set the initial limits. It stalls after reaching the top of travel once the shade can't roll up any more. Upon lowering, the motor does not stop after completely unrolling and starts to roll up the shade in the wrong way. Is there a procedure for setting the initial rough limits? Adjustment of the limits using the screw limit adjusters has not affect? I rave read, on iRV2 forum, that a competitor motor has a limit button to push for rough limits but the automation shade does not have this feature that I can see. I have contacted Automotion and am waiting for a reply. Anyone replaced a motor and dealt with this issue. I intend to write up the procedure once I am done.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Link to my shade motor replacement

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2144064
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #32

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
meridian , Mississippi
Where is fuse? Also, my day shades work. I would have thought they would be on same fuse.
b-rving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Ft. Myers , Florida
side panel access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
There are screws in the top cabinets that hold the side panels. You can remove these and tilt the panel out to more easily access the limit adjust. Good luck.
Can you give me an idea where the screws are to see screen mechanism. I unscrewed bottom panel and can look up but the access is not good enough to fix (unless I had a trained mouse)
rolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote