Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I was a moderator on this site for a few years (a long time ago). It is a thankless job and a few repeat posers can make the task very difficult.
This is the truth on so many forums.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Emphasis added by me.

It’s your qualifiers, IB, for lack of a better identifier, that imply this “shadow banning” is a problem here, if only you could and would speak to it.

I had never heard of this before your post, most definitely not on this forum, and found it surprising that your post with these references was not removed.

The mods/administrators decided to handle it differently, and I have to say I agree with the end result.

Maggie
= My boilerplate language, all forums.

= My standard disclaimer on the offer, all forums. I have to word it like that to emphasize that I personally am not accusing any mods of doing anything untoward. I'm just making an offer that I will track down a problem if anyone wants me to do that for them because they perceive that they have been treated unjustly. But I need proof.

It has happened several times that I've run into a previous poster and our e-conversation goes something like this:

Me: "Hey, good to hear from you - I don't see you on Air Forums much these days."

Them: "Yeah, I'm out. I got sick of being shadow banned. If it cannot be an authentic discourse, then there's no point in continuing."

Me: "Do you have proof? Screengrab? Email update of your post that was later deleted? If you can give me proof, I will run down the problem on your behalf."

Them: "I'm not interested. I don't want to dignify that forum with my participation, either directly or in absentia."

And these are not trollers who are making these accusations. They tend to be more toward the James Damore end of the expressive spectrum.

And if it was just one allegation, I'd conclude maybe it was a technical glitch that cheesed them off. But it has been more than one, and of a similar pattern.

For those of you who are not familiar with shadow banning in the forum context, it allegedly happens on some forums in some instances at some times when content does not rise to the level of violating forum rules and thus cannot be legitimately deleted, but that content is not appreciated anyway, often because it does not meet some standard of ideological purity. So posts allegedly get quietly deleted with no explanation, in the hopes that the "offending" posters simply will not notice. But they do tend to notice.

The various Roadtrek venues were notorious for this practice, and we saw what happened to Roadtrek. There's a reason why multiple religious faiths declare lying to constitute a mortal sin (or its dogmatic equivalent) - a sin leading to death (and Roadtrek certainly died a bad death). Shadow banning is a particularly insidious form of lying.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So now shadow banning here is the reported deleting of apparent problematic posts, not yours nor even ones you have personally seen, but per some other third party allegation made to you?

Jeeeez, IB.

This is the Wikipedia definition of shadow banning, per the link provided by JanetH:

Shadow banning
Shadow banning (also called stealth banning, ghost banning or comment ghosting[1]) is the act of blocking or partially blocking a user or their content from an online community such that it will not be readily apparent to the user that they have been banned.

By partly concealing, or making a user's contributions invisible or less prominent to other members of the service, the hope may be that in the absence of reactions to their comments, the problematic or otherwise out-of-favour user will become bored or frustrated and leave the site, and that spammers and trolls will not create new accounts.

I don’t believe anything like this is or has ever been a practice here, and I encourage you to pm Site admin with the forum names of any person reporting such to you, so that it can be properly looked into.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Just want to thank the Moderators and the Site Team for all that they do every day. I for one greatly appreciate your fine work. This forum and it's members are very important to me. Please, keep up the great work.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Just want to thank the Moderators and the Site Team for all that they do every day. I for one greatly appreciate your fine work. This forum and it's members are very important to me. Please, keep up the great work.
I second that Emotion!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
Old 09-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I second that Emotion!

Third!

Several years ago, I was asked to be a Mod here and went in to training for it. First - I quickly learned I couldn’t commit the time it would have taken to do it right (at the time, a demanding job and an ailing mom didn’t leave much time for moderating - especially seeing how much work the team does). Second - it is among the most thankless volunteer work you can do. No one will be happy with Mod decisions. But this forum wouldn’t work without that team, and it wouldn’t be nearly as enjoyable and valuable without them.

Thanks Mods - I can’t run your marathon but as a spectator on the sidelines I think you’re doing GREAT!!!!
Old 09-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #27

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
It seems all of the bases have been covered, as such this thread now closed.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread