Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Sunexplorer II display is flashing

I'm new to Airstream owning and new to solar.

I have one 53W solar panel.

I'm in my second night of my AS, in my yard, with no shore power. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I have and what it'll do once I finally get out on the road.

Last night, my TV and tiny fan (not the fantastic fans) stopped working. My lights and fantastic fans stayed on. My Sunexplorer II readout is flashing 11.0V. the charging status light is red. I can scroll through the other readings, but I cannot ever get to the %battery charge.

I'm in Tucson AZ, it's hotter than the blazes, and I've plenty of sun to charge a panel.

What does all of this mean?

Thanks,
Christy
19FlyinCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I don't know if during your model year AS was still intalling the Atkinson Solar controllers, but it sounds like it if your display says Sunexplorer.

Do yourself a favor and get it replaced with a Victron bluetooth unit. It will finally utilize the output of your solar panel properly and you can monitor activity & history right from your phone so you'll know exactly what is happening.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19FlyinCloud View Post
I'm new to Airstream owning and new to solar.

I have one 53W solar panel.

I'm in my second night of my AS, in my yard, with no shore power. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I have and what it'll do once I finally get out on the road.

Last night, my TV and tiny fan (not the fantastic fans) stopped working. My lights and fantastic fans stayed on. My Sunexplorer II readout is flashing 11.0V. the charging status light is red. I can scroll through the other readings, but I cannot ever get to the %battery charge.

I'm in Tucson AZ, it's hotter than the blazes, and I've plenty of sun to charge a panel.

What does all of this mean?

Thanks,
Christy
One 53W solar panel will not provide much charging. In my humble opinion, the only value to a single 53W solar panel is its ability to keep your battery charged while it sits in outside storage with the store/use switch in the "off" position. Do you really only have a single 53W solar panel on a 2019 23'?

My experience is a solar panel will typically provide three times its wattage in watthours each day. Therefore 53W x 3 = 159Wh. Then divide this by 13.5V average charging voltage and you will get about 12Ah per day of battery charging. That may be enough power to switch your store/use switch to the "on" position, but I doubt it. Your batteries are probably Lifeline AGM with factory solar. These will provide up to 100Ah per day of power. That's about how much power I have used each day in my Airstreams. If you use the inverter with the TV, lights, refrigerator on propane, water pump, fantastic fan or propane furnace, you will basically use up your battery power each day. If you are very frugal with your power usage, you may get three days before you use up your 100Ah of battery power.

What does it take to recharge 100Ah of usage per day? I would say you need 400W of solar, which should fit on your Airstream. You would also want a Victron 100/30 Smartsolar controller. Based on my calculation of three times panel wattage, you would get 400W x 3 = 1200Wh divided by 13.5V equals 89Ah of battery charging each day. I had 400W of solar on my 25' Airstream and could dry camp or boondock continuously without needing shore power.

I am not surprised that your battery is dead on the second night of dry camping with 53W of solar charging. Mine would be dead too.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote