Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Graham , Washington
Asian Night Stain

I just purchased a 2016 Interstate GT EXT and the corner moldings are in need of refinishing. Has anybody found a good stain match? I don't want to touch up, I would like to sand and refinish.
randkell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
If Pahaska sees this, he should be of help.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
If Pahaska sees this, he should be of help.
Can't help. I had Asian Sand in the 2014.5 and Beach Wood in the 2018.

I would take a photo with your phone and prowl the aisles at HD or Lowe's to get the best match. You can also trim off a sliver somewhere unnoticeable and have them do a color match.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
I asked a similar question in the below string and it was suggested I use "Old English Scratch Cover" because that's what the folks at Airstream Jackson Center used for similar purposes. I've purchased a bottle but yet to give it a try.
Good Luck with your complete re-do of those corner mouldings, pretty ambitious...I'll just be doing some touch-up when I get around to it.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ut-208413.html
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by randkell1 View Post
I just purchased a 2016 Interstate GT EXT and the corner moldings are in need of refinishing. Has anybody found a good stain match? I don't want to touch up, I would like to sand and refinish.
I have Asian Night interior in my 2013 Interstate. I have used a combination of two Minwax wood satins to get a good color match on some of the extra things I installed like a small desk behind the driver seat and a galley countertop extension. I use Minwax® Wood Finish Oil-Based Penetrating Stains, using Classic Grey 271 as a base coat and then top coat with Ebony 2718.

https://www.minwax.com/wood-products...s-color-guide/

Like most staining to get a good color match technique is a factor. Good to try on some scrap pieces first to get confidence. I just did the same thing on the oak flooring and stair project I'm working on right now. My COVID Pandemic home remodeling project since I could travel like normal this year. The flooring is finished now in Bruce solid oak, Gunstock color. But the standard Gunstock Oil-Based Penetrating Stains I tried for the trim and stair parts was way too red. So I base stained with Golden Oak on some parts or English Chestnut on others and top coated with Gunstock that gave me a color that closely matches the flooring.

If you just need to cover some minor scratched, then the Old English Scratch Cover works well.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Old-Engl...5144/202519753
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Graham , Washington
Thanks for all the the input, I will give the grey and ebony a try. Sounds like it will match real well with some of the grey highlights on the wood showing thru. Most of the original wood had some wear, which may have worked with the old English scratch cover. The main issue was that the trim around the door had been re-stained in a black so I think it is best to redo them all to make them match.
randkell1 is offline   Reply With Quote