Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Any experience with Kenwood Radio DNX997XR?

It is likely that I will need to replace the Fusion Radio/GPS. There is a sharp crackling sound whenever it is on. I will have the speakers checked but it appears to be the radio causing the problem.

If it is the radio I am looking at the Kenwood DNX997XR as a replacement. It will fit in. It does not have satellite radio but I am OK with that.

Any feedback on changing out the Fusion (tips, tricks, gotchas) would be appreciated. Will a new radio resolve the problem with the radio drawing power such that it drains the chassis battery if/when it turns itself on magically? Also any experience with the Kenwood radio (or another suggestion for a radio).
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
I have left my somewhat useless JL system stock, but from past experience, a good ground between the head unit and the speakers may eliminate loud pops and crackles.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
a good ground between the head unit and the speakers may eliminate loud pops and crackles.
Will check this out before we replace the radio
Old 07-28-2022, 08:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Lincoln City , Oregon
Kenwood radio

I have one of those Kenwood radios. Good sound, almost impossible to figure out, totally counterintuitive, difficult to program, difficult to play a video. Maybe I'm just an old fart, something simpler would be preferable.
Genboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I just installed a Kenwood DDX9707S.
We had the Kenwood DDX9702S with our Interstate originally.

I can say the quirks the 9702 model have gone away with the 9707 from what I’ve observed so far. The Bluetooth connection works quite a bit better, although we did have it drop once on our last five hour trip. The 9702 would shut off and reset quite a few times no matter how long our trip it seemed, and we have not had that problem with the 9707. CarPlay works pretty seamlessly in the 9707. The screen is brighter although the cover has a shinier plastic type of look so it has a little bit more sunshine glare over the 9202. Still better since it is brighter, and I, in fact, blacked out the screen while driving at night, which is a nice option.

I think the sound is better also. We get more sound and range out of the middle speakers in the dash now. It’s certainly not a total premium sound like my other German vehicles, but it’s not as bad as before. I was totally unhappy with the 9702 sound output.

There is just a touch of lag on the 9707, but it is almost unnoticeable. The old unit had serious lag time to the point of being annoying. By the video I watched, it looks like the 997 has very little if any lag and seems extremely fast, even compared to the 9707. I think the XR screen would be nice also, sounds like it’s supposed to be very clear and possibly not glare. Cannot attest to the screen being better though as I have nver seen one, just going off the reviews I read on the XR.

I’ve gotten somewhat used to the quirky way Kenwood lays out their options. I don’t mind the layout on the 9707 and it looks almost identical to the 997.

I took a chance on the 9707 and I think it paid off enough to say I’m happy with spending the money to upgrade even though Kenwood should have put out a quality enough unit in our year Interstate not to be as unhappy as we were in the original head unit that came with our Interstate.

If you have a newer style Sprinter, like 2020 model and newer, you might check into people who are taking a wire off their middle speaker in the dash to fix sound quality that sounds similar to what you are explaining. I don’t know the reason behind this, but have seen quite a few posts on it on the LTV page.

Hope that helps a little even with it being a different model yet similar, in making your decision.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
I just installed a Kenwood DDX9707S.
We had the Kenwood DDX9702S with our Interstate originally.

The screen is brighter although the cover has a shinier plastic type of look so it has a little bit more sunshine glare over the 9202. Still better since it is brighter, and I, in fact, blacked out the screen while driving at night, which is a nice option.

I think the sound is better also. We get more sound and range out of the middle speakers in the dash now. It’s certainly not a total premium sound like my other German vehicles, but it’s not as bad as before. I was totally unhappy with the 9702 sound output.

I think the XR screen would be nice also, sounds like it’s supposed to be very clear and possibly not glare. Cannot attest to the screen being better though as I have nver seen one, just going off the reviews I read on the XR.

I’ve gotten somewhat used to the quirky way Kenwood lays out their options. I don’t mind the layout on the 9707 and it looks almost identical to the 997.

If you have a newer style Sprinter, like 2020 model and newer, you might check into people who are taking a wire off their middle speaker in the dash to fix sound quality that sounds similar to what you are explaining. I don’t know the reason behind this, but have seen quite a few posts on it on the LTV page.

Hope that helps a little even with it being a different model yet similar, in making your decision.
All of this is quite helpful. I'm hopeful that some of the quirks of the Fusion system will not be in the new Kenwood. I don't think I have a middle dash speaker, just the two tweeters in the dash and the two door speakers. Of course, there is the powered subwoofer in the back along with two other speakers.

The screen does tip down to help with glare, although I haven't really noticed a glare issue with the Fusion. The Kenwood does have a bright, vibrant display almost makes what I have look B&W. I do need to check on a night mode. We wound up covering the rear view monitor at night since it severly affected my night vision.

I'm hopeful that none of the speakers were damaged but if they were I will take this opportunity to upgrade their quality.

Finally, It would be nice if the radio has weather channels built in, seems like that is an easy add-on but very few vehicle radios have these channels.

Thanks for this very useful reply.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
I don't think I have a middle dash speaker, just the two tweeters in the dash and the two door speakers.

There is a middle dash speaker. It’s a special “voice coil” speaker. It takes an input from both the left and the right channel and it’s supposed to make phone conversations sound better. I plan to remove it when I install our new speakers. I’ve read that removing the voice coil speaker actually improves the stereo effect and phone calls over the stereo are still clear enough without it there. Many also feel that the center dash speaker also over powers the audio system.

If you have a newer model though, do your research as I’ve read that if you remove the purple and grey connector, the SOS will no longer work but the “Hey Mercedes” will.

We gave Kenwood two shots but ultimately ended up replacing it with an Alpine Halo 11 which we absolutely love. The screen at first was intimidating but now can’t see not having it. Our first Kenwood basically died. Second newer model drop in replacement did the same after two or three years although it had less restarts than the first one. We weren’t going to give Kenwood a third chance. I’m in the process now of replacing the two front door speakers and dash tweeters. I’ve been trying to get an appointment with our audio guy for a while now and he’s just too busy so I’m going to do it myself. I’m also going to add an amplifier while I’m at it. Not trying to blow my neighbors door off the hinges but just would like some nice quality sound upfront while driving for a change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0610.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	420269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0608.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	420270  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	420271  
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
The Halo has been talked about in other forums and it’s a really nice looking unit. Had I not stumbled across a good deal on the Kenwood, I think I would have looked harder at something else, too.

You’re all correct, I should have said dash speakers. I didn’t jamb my head up there to see exactly where the sound was coming from! I probably need to be corrected. It does sound like it woke up the mid-range and/or tweeters though and it somewhat does sound like there’s sound coming from a middle speaker now. Might just be a figment of my imagination. I’ll take it, either way.

If you decide to tackle the speaker job, please keep us posted on how the door speakers go. I’ve had a set sitting in my office closet for a while now. I might have been more apt to try to tackle the project but I wasn’t aware that the hole needs to be extended for the set I purchased until I received them. Why they don’t include information like that before your purchase, I don’t know. On a need to know basis, I guess. Bigger is better, I hope.

Let us know if you like the Kenwood, too, if you go that route. It would be interesting to hear if the XR screen is worth it.

It’s been discussed enough but the lack of quality sound coming out of a premium vehicle really surprised me, but it’s not been the only surprise along the way, either. Still not complaining though, it’s just an opportunity to upgrade, I guess.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:56 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
There is a middle dash speaker. It’s a special “voice coil” speaker. It takes an input from both the left and the right channel and it’s supposed to make phone conversations sound better. ...

I will go back and look for that center speaker, it makes sense since I thought I was hearing something from the center but didn't see anything.

If you have a newer model though, do your research as I’ve read that if you remove the purple and grey connector, the SOS will no longer work but the “Hey Mercedes” will. ...

Not familiar with the "SOS", I don't think the Fusion radio has a voice response capability, maybe the new radio will.

We gave Kenwood two shots I’m also going to add an amplifier while I’m at it. Not trying to blow my neighbors door off the hinges but just would like some nice quality sound upfront while driving for a change.
I looked at a larger screen but decided to go with one which fits into the existing space. What was the model number of your second Kenwood?
Old 07-31-2022, 08:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
I looked at a larger screen but decided to go with one which fits into the existing space. What was the model number of your second Kenwood?
I was referring to newer Sprinter model years and their SOS function.

Sorry, I took a look through my receipts and could not find it but I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it. It must've been in either 2017 or 2018 when I replaced it or even possibly late 2016. The audio guy said that it was an upgraded model to what I had in there. It really didn't look much different either. Definitely did not have car play.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post

If you decide to tackle the speaker job, please keep us posted on how the door speakers go. I’ve had a set sitting in my office closet for a while now. I might have been more apt to try to tackle the project but I wasn’t aware that the hole needs to be extended for the set I purchased until I received them. Why they don’t include information like that before your purchase, I don’t know. On a need to know basis, I guess. Bigger is better, I hope.
Hawk,

Will do when I tackle this project. A bit hesitant as I have to first remove the Remis window blinds that I have installed in order to remove the door panel. To be honest I think this is why our audio guys has been putting it off.

The Mercedes stock speakers are 5.25” and I’m looking to replace mine with 6.50” speakers. They sell these speaker adapter rings that allow you to use bigger speakers without any modification to the stock speaker holes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-Ada...-/141887556531
Old 08-07-2022, 05:53 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
Bellevue , Washington
Kenwood DNX996XR

We have a DNX996XR in our Chevy Silverado Truck. The Apple Car Play and hd radio work great. It has a Garmin GPS in it too. We have a backup cameras on the truck and on the back of our trailer that display on the Kenwood screen.
cwm49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Many thanks for the adaptor ring idea. Would be great not to have to cut out the metal in the door! I was thinking that can’t be… Glad to have an easy fix instead of ripping out the saw!!
Old 08-12-2022, 12:29 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Thanks for all the comments.

Yesterday I had the old radio replaced. The Fusion radio was the problem, fortunately the speakers were not damaged. The new Kenwood has a bright, clear screen. It is smaller than I thought it would be but it is more than made up by the resolution and the fact that I don't have a problem seeing it with my polarized sunglasses.

The shop I went to figured out how to properly wire it up including using my steering will buttons not only to change the volume but to change channels (we use the telephone pickup/hang-up buttons for that). They also put in a kill switch. We have Apple iPhones so its CarPlay function should work well, and it recognized our phones instantly.