Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Amp/fuse center.

I want to get extra fuses just in case. Read the explanation on right of photo with color coding and look at the fuses. The colors don't match. One is upside down? I bought new. None have been replaced. Is this pretty normal. If I take photo into parts store, can they sell me what I need or do I need to pull one to show them. My normal procedure with cars has been...wait till blows, pull it, go into parts store, buy one, put back in in parking lot to make sure it works. Just trying to be proactive! ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	20190218_165019.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	334578Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_165015.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	334579
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The colors noted in the circuit descriptions are not the fuse colors. They are the wire color that Airstream ran in the trailer wiring harness to the fuse panel. The number of amps is the important part...

Upside down does not matter---the electrons moving through the fuse don't care about the markings. Pull it out and flip it over when you re-insert it if that bugs you. (It would bug me, BTW)

I carry a reasonably large assortment of the standard fuses. Just look for the same ones at an Auto part store or online. I believe they are standard ATO-type automotive fuses. Get a kit that has a 'fuse puller' gimmick with it for convenience...

One nice feature is the ones with "indicator LED" inside them. They light up if the fuse blows and the circuit has power. Easier to find when troubleshooting.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Mansderm,
You are wise to be prepared with extra fuses at all times. The macerator blows fuses routinely. My record is 3 blown fuses during the same tank dump.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks for advice. My macerator has been a problem, but not with fuses. It was knocked off completely and was replaced, then black valve pump failed. I haven't worked it heavily either...no TP. The things we do to try and avoid problems!
Old 02-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
These are commonly referred to as "blade" fuses. I've noted some color differences between 20A, 15A, 10A etc. fuses between companies making them. Don't worry about that.

Just get the correct number (amps) in the right size.

The standard size like in your panel pictures are designated "ATO".

The smaller sizes are designated "mini's" and may be found elsewhere your vehicle.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Murphy's Law says that as soon as you get serious about stocking and organizing your fuses, you'll never blow another one again. But if you don't do that, you'll be doomed.

I got this little compartment box that sticks magnetically in place above our main isolation switches (I stuck a magnet to the back of the box and a small steel plate on the panel). Of course, I've never had to pull it down and actually use one of the fuses.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Murphy's Law says that as soon as you get serious about stocking and organizing your fuses, you'll never blow another one again. But if you don't do that, you'll be doomed.

Exactly!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I keep my fuses organized in a 7-day pill organizer. It lays in the groove in front of the electronics panel in the upper cabinet.

I also have some slow-blow fuses for the macerator. They are hard to find.

I have never blown a fuse once I stocked spares.

By the way, the fuse panel is behind a wood door and an additional plastic door. I removed and threw away the plastic door to provide a little bit better ventilation for the circuit breakers. The breakers get pretty hot when running the AC for hours. The hotter a breaker gets, the more likely it will blow.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
... By the way, the fuse panel is behind a wood door and an additional plastic door. I removed and threw away the plastic door to provide a little bit better ventilation for the circuit breakers. The breakers get pretty hot when running the AC for hours. The hotter a breaker gets, the more likely it will blow.

JOHN - That is a good tip. Im going to do the same thing.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
When stocking spare fuses don't forget:
The fuses that are mounted to the side of the chassis battery. I don't recall the size (and Titus is in storage), but one of them is for feeding chassis battery charging to the BIM.

There is also a large fuse in the coach battery cable to the Magnum.

Also, a fuse somewhere in the solar panel output wiring

and the furnace wiring (IIRC)
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
That's been my life experience, so I prepare for the worst and am grateful when not faced with the problem...blessings come in many dorms!
Old 03-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Forms!
Old 03-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #13
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I bought a nice box with assorted Buss Fuses in Home Depot or Lowe's.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #14
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
I still have the original 1970 fuse panel and will finally get around to idea upgrading it. Is there some reason breaker panels aren't used like I had in my boat for the 12v? I have the regular a/c household style breakers to manage the 120v, but not sure why fuses are still used for 12v. Are new trailers still using fuse panels instead of breakers?
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote