Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
Interesting Reading but

I started this thread out of concern the large Amazon order to be filled in full by the end of 2019 might lengthen the delay of new 2019 based Interstates. On some other threads it has been mentioned that existing orders of the new 19 shorty are already behind schedule and I know from my dealer that any new Atlas orders are expected six to eight months for a delivery. Sounds like Airstream has its own problems and now with a new model Sprinter coming from a brand new MB factory, it could be a very long wait indeed. Anyone have any information from Airstream relative to the situation?
Hi

The existing factory space at JC is pretty much maxed out. They are building a new factory a bit down the road as a result. Any time you get "cramped" in a factory small issues can snowball. You don't have the extra capacity to work around a machine going down.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The existing factory space at JC is pretty much maxed out. They are building a new factory a bit down the road as a result. Any time you get "cramped" in a factory small issues can snowball. You don't have the extra capacity to work around a machine going down.

Bob
UNCLEBOB - 100% Agree. New generation 2019 Sprinter + New 2019 AI models + New 2019 AI molds/templates + New systems suppliers + Old factory + Move to new factory that is all happening at once is NEVER a good recipe for success. Each individual step is a good/positive thing for a growing business. But each one has it's built-in growing pains. Combined could create un-manageable setbacks for a company that was already having borderline QC issues. Hopefully, AS management gets a handle on it. Unfortunately, reality seems to show that their QC was unable to keep up with increased production even prior to all the changes. How are they going to turn it around with all the new changes happening all together?
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/05/...outh-carolina/

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...c297c75f9.html

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
. . .
. . . How are they going to turn it around with all the new changes happening all together?
. . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
UNCLEBOB - 100% Agree. New generation 2019 Sprinter + New 2019 AI models + New 2019 AI molds/templates + New systems suppliers + Old factory + Move to new factory that is all happening at once is NEVER a good recipe for success. Each individual step is a good/positive thing for a growing business. But each one has it's built-in growing pains. Combined could create un-manageable setbacks for a company that was already having borderline QC issues. Hopefully, AS management gets a handle on it. Unfortunately, reality seems to show that their QC was unable to keep up with increased production even prior to all the changes. How are they going to turn it around with all the new changes happening all together?
Hi

I've been hearing stories about AS and QC issues since the mid to late 1950's. The idea that these are "recent" developments is simply not the case. They always seem to rumble along and (barely) out-survive their competitors. Right now they seem to be on a roll sales wise.

Yes, I can sit here in the AS I bought and spot exactly the same things that grandma was "chatting" about back in the 1950's on this trailer. Some things just go on and on. Despite that, I did indeed but an AS and am quite glad I did.

Bob
Old 09-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
And now the Plant has been shut down in preparation of Florence...
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
And now the Plant has been shut down in preparation of Florence...

Yes - I just looked at latest weather reports and Charleston, SC is in zone near where Florence is forecasted to cross the coast.

Yikes - open plant and then close it in same month.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
We rented a 21ft VW diesel "camper van" in New Zealand. Sprinters were the most popular.
The VW was equally as good as the MBZ and it had 250,000 km on the clock. I wonder if the Amazon Sprinters will be diesel and how long will they keep them
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
We rented a 21ft VW diesel "camper van" in New Zealand. Sprinters were the most popular.
The VW was equally as good as the MBZ and it had 250,000 km on the clock. I wonder if the Amazon Sprinters will be diesel and how long will they keep them
Hi

Since they appear to be re-selling them to individuals (and no that's not completely clear), I'd bet the trade in interval will be very much a "that depends" sort of thing. My guess is that the Sprinters will be the most basic model that will do the job. Likely to have air conditioning and not much else.

Based on Amazon's basic business model, if they are going to own them, I would not even bet on them having air conditioning .....

I suppose you could consider a UPS delivery truck to be "air conditioned ...."

Bob
Old 09-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Amazon buying 20,000 Sprinters

Yup. UPS trucks have what my dad used to call “2-40 Air conditioning” as in 2 windows open , and at least 40 MPH.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:10 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Based on Amazon's basic business model, if they are going to own them, I would not even bet on them having air conditioning .....

I suppose you could consider a UPS delivery truck to be "air conditioned ...."

Bob
UNCLE BOB - Yesterday, my USPS guy delivered a package. I commented how it must be a relief for him that we are past the 110-115° weather. He said yes, it was brutal last 2 months in his USPS right hand drive jeep, coz even after a lot of them petitioned for A/C, USPS won't even spring for one of those coolers with a cold air exhaust port (cheap man's A/C). That's just so wrong. It would be the equivalent of giving a St. Paul, MN postal driver without a heater I have always been issued a company car by HP with A/C, power windows & locks, cruise, tilt, stereo system, & cloth seats. That was the "basic business model" for them since 1978 when I first started and still is to this day. And cell phones since 1988. That was just the decent thing to do in their model. I guess Amaz, UPS, USPS don't consider their employees that important to their long term success.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #52
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well .... errr .... ummm..... I worked a number of years on construction sites that nobody seemed to have air-conditioned (except when the wind blew). We all lived through it. Early days on the farm .... same sort of AC on the tractors. All this fancy cab with more options than a BMW was way in the future. I actually kind of liked knowing how the weather was progressing. Some days crazy hot some days crazy cold ... hmmm ... we've moved into another season ... Indeed I worked some jobs where I grew to hate AC. Being outdoors 80% of the time and being in 60 degree (at least if felt that way) AC the rest (in < 3 minute spurts) ... not a lot of fun.

I make it a habit to meet the postman with a bottle of cold water on hot days. I actually do the same for the door to door sales guys. (who I never buy anything from and consider pests). We always have a sizable inventory of bottles ready to load onto the trailer for our next adventure.

Bob
Old 09-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
On IG as a flyover vid dated Sept 11. Not sure if real images. With hashtag #sprinterfamine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	323284
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
On IG as a flyover vid dated Sept 11. Not sure if real images. With hashtag #sprinterfamine. Attachment 323284

The quality of that image makes it look like a photoshop job. Also noticed they are all NCV3 (906) models and not the new VS30 (907) models. So if it is real it is a picture of old production not the current production. But there does seem to be a Sprinter shortage in USA, according to Patrick at Colonial Airstream. But that’s likely due to new plant in SC and lack of shipments from Germany more than the Amazon buy.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote