Old 06-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #41
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Good news

The awning was not harmed and works perfectly. I had removed the cover over the mechanism which was attached with little white plastic push pins. I replaced the cover with screws with a dab of LockTite on each.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #42
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The awning was not harmed and works perfectly. I had removed the cover over the mechanism which was attached with little white plastic push pins. I replaced the cover with screws with a dab of LockTite on each.
JOHN, Glad awning was not damaged. That's always been my fear, being so windy in the region where I live. Awesome pics & your visit to USAF museum. Love those planes. Only been to the Smithsonian. Would love to see others. Thank you for your service!
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
There is also a very nice aviation museum in San Diego's Balboa Park area.

Another one worth a look is the Space and Rocket Museum in Huntsville, Alabama.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I for one will be interested in the 2500 based Interstate on the 2019 chassis. Its just a question of how many of the cab/cockpit/driver assist enhancements they offer (I want them all). I am also a big fan of the 2.1L BT diesel which will be making a return to the US Sprinter markets in 2019 with a 9speed transmission. Not that interested in 4x4 but depending on cost may consider it but not at the expense of losing an option for the 4 cyl motor (I have seen it reported that MB has said they will only fit that drivetrain to the 6 cyl and I believe that is true) Besides I am worried that the Carrying capacity will suffer. Lots of alternatives with the RT Agile, PW Ascent, and others. I am currently leaning PW because of their superior multiplex wiring, build quality and Li batteries. Have owned a RT CS on a 3500 chassis and not at all interested in going back to that platform ever again.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #45
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
huh... videos are gone...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #46
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Hope they do not change the bathroom as the one in that Shorty does not look like it can accommodate an elongated toilet...
I really liked the bathroom in the Shorty. The toilet is at an angle and there seems to be more shoulder room. I think it protrudes into the hall a bit more than in my lounge, probably because the galley opposite is a bit narrower and tight against the sliding door.

I just got about 15 minutes split into two visits to look it over. My takes are that the beds are for short people, the bathroom and galley are good, and it would be great for one person with a twin bed on one side and a seat on the other with storage under. That would net a bit of storage in the rear on the seat side.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
huh... videos are gone...
Yes - just noticed the same thing. Can't find more info on the shorter Interstate. Perhaps Airstream stepped in and didn't want a dealer getting jump on their corporate announcement. Or this was just a prototype. But it looked pretty complete to me and will be popular. I'm ready to buy one now.

Did find a 2019 Interstate update on the Airstream Blog that mentions going to four batteries. Its about time.
https://www.airstream.com/blog/whats...nterstate-ext/
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Perhaps Airstream stepped in and didn't want a dealer getting jump on their corporate announcement.
Corporate probably yanked it. I did wonder how George managed to post it so soon. Guess this answers that.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Corporate probably yanked it. I did wonder how George managed to post it so soon. Guess this answers that.

Just as well they pulled it. That video was so bad it gave me vertigo.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Just as well they pulled it. That video was so bad it gave me vertigo.
It wasn't so much the video that was nauseating, it was actually good quality video. It was George who was annoying, sort of like the baritone version of Gilbert Gottfried in the Aflac duck

Name:   images.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  6.9 KB
Old 06-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #51
Contributing Member

Some thoughts on the Shorty.

I liked the bathroom. It seemed a bit wider than the one in my Lounge. The stool was installed at a 45-degree angle. The bathroom is so close behind the driver's seat that very tall drivers may have a problem.

Right behind the bathroom is a bigger refrigerator than my Lounge. It is a NorCold, single door, with a nice freezer compartment. The refrigerator is over the jump seat.

The reclining couch goes back hard against the rear doors. Very little storage there. No bed extensions, so tall folks will have to fold a bit.

The microwave is in an upper cabinet on the curb side.

Very nice galley with a nice size sink and a separate faucet. The galley fills about half of the sliding door opening. Quite a bit of drawer and cabinet space. More than my Lounge.

Seems to me there was a screen door, but I don't remember the details.

There is a table, but I don't remember the location of the mounting puck.

Storage space, to me, seemed to be the biggest drawback. Very few upper cabinets and the microwave and refrigerator took up a lot of that space.

The fit and finish looked great. If I were single, I would do a twin bed conversion on the road side and keep the jump seat on the curb side. That would gain some storage space and be a great single-person coach.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
2018/2019 Shorty

I ordered my 19’ Interstate a little over a week ago. Supposed to get it as soon as mid August 2018. 2018 Chassis from Germany and 2019 build from Ohio. It is true that there are still no specs or other information about it. I did see the video George posted coincidently within a few minutes of when he posted it. It needed to be set up much better. I guess Airstream is too busy to do the marketing materials right now but they did take my order so it should be cool to see what I end up with. The current safety features are great and I did not care about getting the new chassis, although if I do get one that will be OK. I did not really want a chassis from the new South Carolina factory. I will keep you posted. Plan to swap out lead acid for 525amp hour Lithium at delivery. Changing the inverter to 3000watts. Adding a battery heater too. I am almost 6’5” and not worrying about the bed either. Lived my life with my feet hanging over the end and probably couldn’t sleep otherwise! Soooooo glad Airstream went to the 19’ 2500! Thanks Airstream!
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Drpeggau - did you receive your Interstate Nineteen yet. I am very curious about what you think. Who is changing out your batteries to lithium with the larger inverter? And how much? Can’t believe AS has not gone to lithium yet.
MLWilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Lithium

For those who are wondering, the 525 amp hour lithium battery pack that we are installing is from Lithionics battery LLC near Tampa Florida. They are terrific to work with and I spoke with Alec over the phone most of the time. The installation will also include a 3000 W converter/inverter because that is what I feel is best as do they. My local Airstream is doing the installation. In terms of the coach, it has been over 11 weeks and it is still “hold“. Someone who ordered a 24 foot interstate is also on hold so everyone seems to think that it is the canopy that is holding things up but airstream is not being very good about sharing that information. Lastly, I read some complaints about the bed but if it is 66“ x 73“ then that would be the largest in its class and I would be very satisfied with that even though I am nearly 77 inches. Stay tuned and I will let you know as soon as I receive it and post a video including a description of the new lithium battery pack and where it will be placed.
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote