Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Not factory accessories... I just got those in Amazon
Thanks. I am noodling on what else to outfit it with. I kinda wish the lid had an itty bitty notch in it, because then it would better accommodate the cast iron skillet, which is THE universal piece of cookware that should be four-way compatible (camp fire, van stove, oven if one is present, and propane grill).

I'm going to experiment with this, and if I like the way the cast iron performs with the Magma, I might ask my husband to create a notch for the handle.

Look at it - it seriously looks like it's sticking its tongue out, eh?

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #62
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Thanks. I am noodling on what else to outfit it with. I kinda wish the lid had an itty bitty notch in it, because then it would better accommodate the cast iron skillet, which is THE universal piece of cookware that should be four-way compatible (camp fire, van stove, oven if one is present, and propane grill).

I'm going to experiment with this, and if I like the way the cast iron performs with the Magma, I might ask my husband to create a notch for the handle.

Look at it - it seriously looks like it's sticking its tongue out, eh?

Are you sentimentally attached to that one? What about getting one that has a detachable handle?

I have no experience with this one... just an example...

https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Iron-Dee.../dp/B07D9X83J2

EDIT: You are a bad influence... in a good way... I ordered that pan with the removable handle... in 9.4" to try it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skillet-1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	371385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skillet-2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	371386  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Thanks - I actually had thought of that option, and I might go that way.

The reason being, even with a silicone cover for the handle, cast iron gets very hot in the campfire. No way around that. A detachable handle would fix that. It would also store more easily in the van.

It's a bit frustrating given that I already have 2 conventional skillets, but you know how it goes - the RIGHT tools are needed for long-term vanlife. Every item must perform. If one piece of equipment is off, then everything gets thrown off.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
BTW, also on the subject of grills:

If I were shopping for a light portable wood / charcoal version today, I would not re-purchase the Grilliput. It's a good grill, but the Wolf and Grizzly M1 is much better designed (assuming it stands up well to use). I did not know it was an option back when I bought the Grilliput.

90 second vid, of which the first 37 seconds is an ideological word salad that you can skip over:

Old 06-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
AF is not allowing me to respond PMs right now for some reason.

Answer: Yes, I would pay the extra price above what the Grilliput costs, if the Wolf and Grizzly thing works as indicated.

My only concern is possible warping of those joints and legs in a very hot campfire. I have not researched that.

But cost...? There are so many barriers to normal life right now that if something costs a hundred bucks and makes my life easier, for heaven's sake, sign me up.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #66

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
AF is not allowing me to respond PMs right now for some reason.

Answer: Yes, I would pay the extra price above what the Grilliput costs, if the Wolf and Grizzly thing works as indicated.

My only concern is possible warping of those joints and legs in a very hot campfire. I have not researched that.

But cost...? There are so many barriers to normal life right now that if something costs a hundred bucks and makes my life easier, for heaven's sake, sign me up.
Maybe because it was via a "Thanks" and not a PM?

I do not have either one, reason for asking about your take on the price difference. One certainly looks more sturdy (the Wolf and Grizzly)...

We have not had the need for one. But now I know which one to get if we do. Thank you!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
I choose the Weber Q-1000 cause it has a shorter lid than the Q-1200 (easier to store). Then I added a thermometer, and modified it to run off the AS propane.

It still struggled to get hotter than 400 degrees, so I drilled out every 10th hole in the burner to 1/16". Now it works great. Gets up to around 500+ degrees on High and Low is about 350.
Runamuk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Rumamuk13,

Running the stove off the AS propane supply is the way to go.

What sort of thermometer did you install in your grill?
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:23 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Maybe because it was via a "Thanks" and not a PM?
But there is still a Reply window on those. I steer clear of the AF email utility because it is so awkward to use, so I cannot recall if it always behaves like that.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
What sort of thermometer did you install in your grill?
Ordered the Weber Q-1200 thermometer from Amazon. Simply drilled a hole in the same location as the lid for Q-1200 (top, front).
Runamuk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hey Wachuko, check this out. It's a 20 dollar Lodge au gratin pan which I found at World Market, a decor big box store that I didn't even think was still in business.

Lodge cast iron is among countless items in short supply nationally, and it's a female dog to ship because of the weight. It took me a bit of time to source this thing.

Anyway, look at how the curvature of the pan is very close to the curvature of the Magma. That means it can be placed on the grill surface without wasting real estate.

I want to try this for things like asparagus (which I normally grill on a fajita platter) and my husband's carmelized onions. My husband could survive indefinitely on onions, oatmeal, and Crystal Light.

And yeah... obviously I have been putting the Magma through its paces. It's in need of a deep cleaning right now.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Wahhhhh-CHOOOO-kohhhhh!!

I ended up doing it this way - putting the cast iron in the center, directly over the hottest spot of the Magma. The onions turned out *fantastic*. This Lodge piece was a great investment of 20 bucks.

Next time, I will pile the onions higher in the dish. They cook way down.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Fresh not frozen, our Gulf of Mexico shrimp bought directly from a local vendor, not China’s lousy exported shrimp. Can’t beat ‘em.

This configuration of cast iron on Magma works very well for the sear-then-simmer technique for fish and meat, which is difficult to do on a campfire because it’s harder to control the heat.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:13 AM   #74

Orlando , Florida
Nice!!! I did get the one I posted earlier. Have not had the chance to test it.

But I like that smaller one you got. Much better. For exactly the way you are using it. I guess I will be searching for one as well
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	25FA3C37-9295-46FD-B338-7E34D82573FE.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	372344  
Old 07-09-2020, 07:22 AM   #75

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Wahhhhh-CHOOOO-kohhhhh!!

I ended up doing it this way - putting the cast iron in the center, directly over the hottest spot of the Magma. The onions turned out *fantastic*. This Lodge piece was a great investment of 20 bucks.

Next time, I will pile the onions higher in the dish. They cook way down.

Hahahahahah. I am sooo hungry now!

I really like how you can cook the meat while also doing the shrimp or onions... We have a trip coming up soon... I need to see if I can find that quickly and give it a good test run.

Found it in Amazon

Lodge Cast Iron 16 Ounce Oval Mini Server

Do you recall how many ounces the one you got is??
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #76

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here's my BabyQ grill that I bought back around 2006 or so. I have a 10lb tank of propane that I use to power it! Still am using that grill today. I did buy an extension hose to use instead of the screw in bottle. Also a cover and Weber made stand that allows me to roll it around.

Here's a picture at the Moraine View rally of the hot dog fest we do on Friday night. Other pic is in Florida. Baby Q does a great job!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6120006.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	372354   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010071_2 (1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	372355  

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Nice!!! I did get the one I posted earlier. Have not had the chance to test it.

But I like that smaller one you got. Much better. For exactly the way you are using it. I guess I will be searching for one as well
Could you do me a big favor? Tell me what size your new pan is, and show me it positioned on the surface of your Magma. You don't actually have to try fire it up - I just want to verify geometry.

I ordered the same one, in the 11 inch size because I THINK that will fit on the grill surface with the lid closed.

Retrospectively, though, I'm wondering about the side clearance - it'll be close given the inflection in the lid of the Magma. It wasn't the most conservative choice I could have made.

A 10-inch pan is smaller than I would like. I struggle to cook a large breakfast for 2 adults on a pan that size.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
IB,
Could you please confirm if that small oval shaped skillet is approximately 9.5" wide or 12.5" wide...it comes in both and I'd like to order the exact one you have. I recently picked up the Weber Q1200 (via the Airstream Store) and that size skillet you're using I think would work nicely.
Thanks!
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckysnuck View Post
IB,
Could you please confirm if that small oval shaped skillet is approximately 9.5" wide or 12.5" wide...it comes in both and I'd like to order the exact one you have. I recently picked up the Weber Q1200 (via the Airstream Store) and that size skillet you're using I think would work nicely.
Thanks!
The one I showed in the pic above is 9.5" x 5.5" at its widest points.

Edit: I took this pic with my nose. One hand to hold the measuring tape, one hand to hold my iPad, and a schnoz to push the button. LOL.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
Quote:
The one I showed in the pic above is 9.5" x 5.5" at its widest points.

Edit: I took this pic with my nose. One hand to hold the measuring tape, one hand to hold my iPad, and a schnoz to push the button. LOL.

That's hilarious, thank you so much! Putting this puppy on order.
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote