Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
For the money that AS trailers or spriinters cost ther should not be any problems of any problems that I read about on forums, in my opinion junk or cult. I have had 5 AS 1 argosy all before 1980. I would not even consider pur. another one.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #122
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks Lew - those are good tips on a lithium installation. But the big lithium issue for me is dealing with freezing temps where I live in Maryland.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Mike et al,

We are trying to acquire some new lithium technology that 'is stated' to work down to -20ºC, which comes out around -4ºF. That includes both use and charging.

Our present lithium formula allows for use below 0ºC (32ºF), just not charging below freezing, as the lithium paste will likely separate from the electrode posts within the battery when charged at below freezing temps.

Regardless, the new formulation will be thoroughly tested in a deep freeze (if and when we get our hands on some cells) to be certain that their claims ring true.

You can be sure that I'll post on the results as soon as they happen!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 PM   #123
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Actually what I meant was could you connect the chassis battery to the inverter to charge the lithium batteries.
The Magnum inverter/charger needs 120VAC shore or generator power to operate the charging system within the unit.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:58 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Well .. I was going to begin a thread complaining about my 72... After reading through this, I think I'll go camping instead...

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I'm 2/3 through a book by Yvon Chouinard called "Let My People Go Surfing." If you don't know who he is, Yvon Chouinard is a great outdoor adventurer (climbing, surfing, fly fishing etc..), who happens to also be the founder of Patagonia (the company).

Chouinard's commitment to quality puts Airstream to shame.

Maybe we should all chip in, buy a bunch of copies of this book and send them to Airstream.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I was struggling with FUBAR (forgive me, I'm a foreigner!) but my Maxxair fan knob also feels like something is slipping. Had to pull down hard to get the gears to mesh.
Please let us know how much.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
The movement of the knob up and down (it's just sliding on the drive shaft) is simply to lock (up) and unlock (down) the turning of the shaft. Since it's a worm drive and you're experiencing a problem, there's a good chance that the mechanism is already starting to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Not only was the operator mechanism shot but when taking the fan apart to get to it, I found that one of the arms on the lifter arm had broken off. It was also made from the same brittle die-cast pot-metal. While I could have repaired it, decided to replace since it was $12.

Also noticed that crazing was developing on the smoked hood where the mold sprue was cut off. First hailstorm will probably destroy it.
Parts arrived today. Good news is that they now make the lifter arm a welded steel assembly and they included detailed instructions. Bad news was that the pins on the end of the arms were about 0.015" too big to fit the slotted brackets that they ride in. Fixed that by enlarging the slots w/ a flat file. The operator is still the same old die-cast pot-metal assembly.

To remove the fan you must first remove the interior trim piece (four screws) and cut the wire splices. Then on the roof, remove the four screws that are visible when the hood is raised. It then lifts out. I used a 10' step ladder next to the slider and placed a moving blanket on the awning and roof. Be very, very careful.

The replacement is very easy, especially w/ the included instructions.

Kudos to Airstream as they used 10ga wire to the fan to minimize voltage drop.

Operator mechanism-10-20281K-3CF $10.78
Lifter arm-10-20222KS $12.66
Shipping- $5.05

Good luck w/ yours.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that somewhere along the line in the 2015 model year, the Fantastic fan motor knob no longer has the pull down function to disengage the drive train to lift the cover. It is now a force the entire drive train to manually open or close the lid.

They probably saved a dollar on the motor and increased the price. Once again - paying more for less.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are some problems with the Fantastic Fan manual open pull-down knob. If you open the lid and pull down the knob, then go back and turn on the fan, the lid motor will continue to run, and run. Leaving the knob engaged and opening the lid with the motor puts a lot of stress on the components before it quits running. Maybe they decided it worked better without the pull-down manual open feature, just let the motor do the job.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #129
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Remember,

Fantastic Vent was purchased a few years ago and is now no longer a family owned entity. It is now part of the Atwood group of products. You can thank Atwood for any design/material changes.

Airstream uses IMHO, the far superior MaxxFan® in all Interstate vans which have an integrated cover and vent system that allows you to use them in the rain. In or out fan directions and multi-speed with available remote control.

They are my personal preference and alleviate the need for additional, large, ugly covers for the Fantastic Vent units. They also close FLAT to the roof and are more aerodynamic.

MaxxFan® is made my AirExcel, who also make Suburban furnaces and RVP/Coleman roof air conditioners.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #130
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
MaxxFan also has great customer support. They sent me a new unit when my the one that came with the Interstate broke, no questions asked. They even updated it to the remote control unit at no cost to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Remember,

Fantastic Vent was purchased a few years ago and is now no longer a family owned entity. It is now part of the Atwood group of products. You can thank Atwood for any design/material changes.

Airstream uses IMHO, the far superior MaxxFan® in all Interstate vans which have an integrated cover and vent system that allows you to use them in the rain. In or out fan directions and multi-speed with available remote control.

They are my personal preference and alleviate the need for additional, large, ugly covers for the Fantastic Vent units. They also close FLAT to the roof and are more aerodynamic.

MaxxFan® is made my AirExcel, who also make Suburban furnaces and RVP/Coleman roof air conditioners.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I find this thread discouraging and somewhat concerning. That said we are three weeks into an 8 week trip out west and have over 4,500 miles on the trailer with over 35 nights in the 2015 30' FC Queen Rear. Issues are - molding came off in the bedroom (glued it back on), HDMI transfer box does not transfer to the bedroom, either Blue Ray or Sat, tongue electric jack grinds excessively, several hinges broke off the interior doors, (used thicker screws and gorilla glue) Ducted A/C when on HP makes a significant amount of noise, but works.

So far that is it, and we could not be more pleased. As a former GM for a mfg company I fully realize the QC issues of ALL products made world wide, not just AS or Thor. It's not an easy task, that said in the number of campgrounds we've visited to date we've seen on other brands every conceivable issue, on new ones. The hardest to deal with are the numerous slides that do not close. I hope everyone gets their issues dealt with. I propose two thoughts, (1) we ordered our AS, we did not order our first one and we had numerous issues with that one. (2) The delivering dealer should catch almost all the issues mentioned in prior posts, ours did.

My Best

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The issues I found when I spent the first night in the 23D on the dealer lot were so obvious that I wondered if they even did the PDI. They did wash it, though.

We have to do both metal and wood work to correct the shower door opening to close a ⅜" gap water could flood into and onto the "famous" plywood flooring. I figure that the so called end of model year discount will be spent on making everything right by a third party repair shop. Based upon our experience with the Classic, I know the chap will get it done correctly with real parts, not ones from the factory.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #133
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
The lids on my fantastic fans have been sticky since I purchased the trailer new three years ago. I applied 303 multiple times with little to no improvement. I finally called Fantastic Fan and shared the problem with them. They sent at no charge the replacement seals. Now...I have a question to you'all, do you just push the seal into its slot or do you use a sealant to secure it? Also, it is not sealed the ends so what do you do with them?
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #134
3 Rivet Member

Liberty Corner , New Jersey
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I just saw this old job announcement:

Airstream, Inc.'s "QUALITY ASSURANCE MANAGER Airstream, Inc., a Recreational..." ad powered by Decatur Daily Democrat
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Who knew they even had a Quality Dept?

Maybe this is to develop one.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #136
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westerville , Ohio
Alternative interpretation -- they have had a Quality Dept but it's not working so the top dog is getting replaced.

Based on my recent tour of the factory, I'm hoping they are just starting a formal QC effort -- would hate to believe that issues obvious to a casual "tourist" would have gone un-noticed by a paid professional.
hexspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Items photographed and emailed to the chap in charge of final Airstream QC on the shop floor did not result in any rectification before the trailer left the factory in January 2014. The issues were pointed out by others in the tour group!

Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #138
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westerville , Ohio
Photos during the tour

During our July visit, they made us keep our cameras in our pockets -- were pretty strict about restricting tour members from taking pictures of the trailers being built (although I saw several people sneak pictures inside some of the units). Wonder if your photos documenting quality issues are making them gun-shy about casual photos in the shop.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
It was my trailer, so my photos were allowed of my unit.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #140
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westerville , Ohio
Cool. Nice that they allow you to do that (learn something new every day). Not so nice that they didn't do anything with the results.

For future information, did you have to make any kind of special arrangements to follow and photograph your unit as it was being built? There may have been others in our tour that were doing that.