Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #81
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
There is an elephant in the room when it comes to AS quality and that is the fact that there is an almost cult like acceptance of a less than perfect product based on the reputation, history and unique style of an Airstream. The perceived value of an AS travel trailer is the best marketing tool Thor has!

[/B].
I agree...Just recently I talked to a late model owner. He said he made a punch list of dozens of repair items the first few months of ownership and made a long journey to Jackson Center for repairs. He said the trip was wonderful....The whole time I was standing there thinking if I had dropped 80 grand on a new rig it better be perfect and if not someone should be coming to me to fix it instead of me blowing a week of my life, a pile of fuel money and unneeded miles on my tow vehicle taking it back to the source.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Little things indeed. On our 2015 Bunk the rear shower top half piece has a row of screws with plastic washers under the heads running around the three walls. This appears to be some attempt of sealing the holes. They keep working out every trip. So I take them out individually apply a liberal amount of red Loctite at the tip, RTV between the sealing washer and the head and the upper half of the treads below the sealing washer. When I go to grab the middle screw in the long back wall it just comes out. The screw is literally too short to reach the rib in that section. The screws next to it are both longer. So what does that say about training, individual assembler work ethic, inspection and management. I have gone through the entire trailer with red Loctite on all handles, hardware etc. that I don't expect should ever need to be removed. Blue Loctite on the others. For the woods screws that hold some of the cabinets, latches and other fixtures in place that also keep backing out I remove, then carefully shove a toothpick coated with wood glue into the hole. I apply wood glue to the screw and put it back in. It is like buying a very expensive model car that needs assembly (well, disassembly, glue and re-assembly). This is the very least of the issues I am slowly correcting with the trailer, but at the same time it would be very easy for the factory to do the same. Wait, I guess it could add maybe 30 minutes to the overall build time, but then there are all the free laborers (customers) that do it for them!
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I just gotta say it.....even if it may jinx my future experiences. I have had ZERO quality issues with my 2013 AI. There are a lot of things I wish had been executed better.....location of water pump, rats nest of wiring under couch, but none of the issues that seem to crop up in this forum. My only defect was on the dealer's back.....dead coach batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #84

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
I just gotta say it.....even if it may jinx my future experiences. I have had ZERO quality issues with my 2013 AI.
I have had the same experience on my 2013 AI. The only annoying problem I have had was two faulty smoke alarms. Both replaced on Airstreams nickel. The first was apparently from a batch of bad alarms from the manufacturer and the second probably my fault for not disconnecting the house battery connection to the alarm before changing the battery in the detector itself (that is a no no).

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
What would Wally do?
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basking Ridge , New Jersey
What AWChief said may apply to us. We bought a 2014.5 (on a 2014 MB chassis) that had been used as the dealers show model, had approx 800 miles on it, but no time on the genny. Everything, save the genny and water systems had been broken . At the risk of a jinx so far so good through 9000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I have had the same experience on my 2013 AI. The only annoying problem I have had was two faulty smoke alarms. Both replaced on Airstreams nickel. The first was apparently from a batch of bad alarms from the manufacturer and the second probably my fault for not disconnecting the house battery connection to the alarm before changing the battery in the detector itself (that is a no no).

Just to balance things out a bit. I too have had very few defects with my 2014 AI. We have driven in some pretty good rain storms with no leaking. But, you can bet I'll be up on my roof in the next few days doing another inspection!

I did have an issue with the DEF NOX sensors and that resulted in some warranty work. I'm hoping that is the end of that.

Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Which system has the greatest quality issues:

the Sprinter or the upfitted components from Airstream?
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #89
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Which system has the greatest quality issues:

the Sprinter or the upfitted components from Airstream?
The service manager at Foley RV (Airstream of Mississippi) says the base Sprinter, though he was non-specific as to which Sprinter components were most troublesome.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm, interesting. We haven't read too much about that here,

I have had no problems whatsoever with the Sprinter itself or MB Diesel engine, other than that turbo resonator defect years ago, that was replaced without charge.

The only issues we have had were due to AS workmanship.....hashed thru several times here, so I won't go into them again.

That said.....163,000+ miles, and could not love my Interstate more.

Maggie
Old 07-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Well during cleaning up from our recent Florida trip, I discovered that the curbside rear speaker no longer works. Checked the speaker and it's OK. Since the front ones work, I'm assuming that it's a wiring problem somewhere forward of the speaker cuz can just see the last couple of feet of wire. I'm open to any ideas on this.

Also the knob that raises the hood on the Maxxair fan no longer operates and initial investigation indicates the operator mechanism (P/N 10-20281k-3cf) is FUBAR. Will have to lift fan off mounting flange to get to it. It appears after an internet search that it's only available from Maxxair. Since the fan is about $200, I can only imagine how much this part will cost.

Stay tuned.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #92

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Also the knob that raises the hood on the Maxxair fan no longer operates and initial investigation indicates the operator mechanism (P/N 10-20281k-3cf) is FUBAR. Will have to lift fan off mounting flange to get to it. It appears after an internet search that it's only available from Maxxair. Since the fan is about $200, I can only imagine how much this part will cost.
Had that happen to my MaxxFan about a year after I bought it. The screw mechanism is cheap pot-metal and easy to strip out if you tighten down the hood too tightly. I had to order a replacement screw mechanism direct from the manufacturer. If memory serves, it was about $9.00, plus shipping.

Ever since I replaced it, I've been careful not to tighten the hood down too far, and the new mechanism has lasted for 2˝ years with no sign of damage.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The screw mechanism is cheap pot-metal and easy to strip out if you tighten down the hood too tightly.
That's kind of what I figured since the shaft connecting the knob to the operator was die-cast pot-metal that was already starting to disintegrate.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:

I was struggling with FUBAR (forgive me, I'm a foreigner!) but my Maxxair fan knob also feels like something is slipping. Had to pull down hard to get the gears to mesh.
Please let us know how much.

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #95

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I was struggling with FUBAR (forgive me, I'm a foreigner!)
FUBAR is the worst of three adverse conditions…

SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fouled Up.
TARFU - Things Are Really Fouled Up.
FUBAR - Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition.

Of course there's another, ruder F-word that's normally used in place of "Fouled" but this is a family-friendly forum…
Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #96
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
FUBAR is the worst of three adverse conditions…

SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fouled Up.
TARFU - Things Are Really Fouled Up.
FUBAR - Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition.

Of course there's another, ruder F-word that's normally used in place of "Fouled" but this is a family-friendly forum…
GOOD ONE PRO!!!!

Which reminds me of the 3 stages of aging:

1. CRS
2. CSS
3. CDS

Anyone care to guess????????

And BTW, Please remember that a mixed audience will view your responses.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:04 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
CRS=Can't remember _hit

Haven't seen the other two. I'm sure someone else can help you out though.

Maybe can't see and can't do.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #98
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
CRS=Can't remember _hit

Haven't seen the other two. I'm sure someone else can help you out though.

Maybe can't see and can't do.
BINGO!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
And why did I just come into this room?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
CSS = Can't see _hit!
CDS = Can't do _hit!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote