Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Hicksville , New York
Airstream Interstate vs. Roadtrek

Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons between the Airstream Interstate and a Roadtrek. Both are great looking B's, however, how can one not fall for the Airstream. However, I have heard the Roadtrek makes more efficient use of space. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
matrixdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmmm. We are a little biased, having an 06 Interstate over 2 years now. 50,000 miles later, we have not regretted it for a minute. We had always wanted a Roadtrek or Pleasureway, until we saw this----it was love at first sight, and we had to have it. The big difference was the absolutely beautiful, luxurious interior. We have plenty of storage space, do our own organizing thing to make the best use, but you really do streamline when you are traveling so small. We would suggest you carefully peruse the interior of each. Carolina Coach & Camper in Claremont, NC, has more small RV's than we ever knew existed---might be worth a drive there to really look at what is available. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Doug&Maggie is right... I really think you need to see both in person. They are very different coaches. I really liked the earlier Westys on the Sprinter chassis. I haven't seen any of the late model B-Vans except in photos... but the floorplans and material choices are a very personal kind of decision.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
For comparison sake, we owned a 2005 Leisure Travel Van (similar to the Airstream). We traveled a lot (30,000 miles) in a 2 year period. We averaged 24.4 mpg during this period. Yes, you really downsize but with all the comforts of home - best of success in your decision.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
In comparing the two Sprinters, Airstream Interstate and the Roadtrek RS Adventurous with the rear sofa design and two passenger seats the plans are almost identical.

Untitled Page

Airstream, Inc :: Floorplan Floorplan

From what I can tell Airstream basically cloned this plan from Roadtrek as has Four Winds and Winnebago with their Sprinter B offerings.

You have to look at the specs to make further comparisons. As far as fit and finish goes Roadtrek uses real wood for their cabinets and solid surfacing for their counters vs. Airstreams plastic laminates. Roadtrek has more depth of experience in putting together B vans. Whether that translates in to better design, quality, etc. may be of a minor degree since I haven't heard about complaints from either. It may be subtle, but I've always like the exterior look of the Interstate over most all other B manufacturers.

Did you not mention on RV.net you were considering full-timing? Alone or with partner? That makes a big difference. If full-timing, both the Airstream and Roadtrek sacrifice a lot of space for the extra two passenger seats that would rarely be used. Space is dear in a B. The other things I never liked about either model was the bathroom on the passenger side. When driving I like that side open as much as possible to see cars through the rear view mirror and also to simply look back into the interior. The tall stuff is more suitable directly behind the driver where you can't see anyway. Also, I never liked the refrigerator right on the floor on these designs.

People like their Airstreams and Roadtreks. Don't get me wrong there. Everyone has priorities in desires. With the extra passenger seats they might be more functional for multi-use or use with friends. My preference is the plan (mostly similar between them) offered by Pleasure-Way, Liesure Travel Vans and Great West with the bathroom behind the driver.

Since you like the Roadtrek and Airstream I am assuming you like the plan. If so, then I would recommend you buy the one that gives you the best deal. I think that is what it should come down to because the basic vehicle is identical (MB Sprinter) and the specs and features of almost all the Sprinter Bs are basically the same. Even if there is a quality difference as I mentioned, both will offer good enough service. Bs in general are quality made RVs compared to most other types of RVs. Again, look for the best deal.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wanted to add to the prior post that, unless you are driven to have something right off the assembly line, you might find what you want in an earlier, gently-used model. We have the mid-bath, rear-sleeper, (06 Interstate) which is the only design we were interested in. The bath is directly behind the driver's seat, there are no extra passenger chairs, the back has unobstructed viewing and opens completely up. We bought a screen for the back opening that attaches with velcro and has a full length zipper up the center. Very nice. We are not full timers, but close. Happy hunting.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
You can not join the WBCCI with a Roadtrek .
This may or may not be a factor in your purchase.

Have fun test driving them.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

We liked the Road Trek SS Agile (Short Sprinter) We also looked at the new Interstate on the 1 ton chassis. Airstream has done an excellent job on this rig, with one exception for us. There is no place to store large items, like a double bed sleeping sack/foam, and comforter. The electrically powered rear coach mechanism takes up most of the room under the rear coach.
We had planned on removing to 3rd and 4th seats to place dog kennels.
We also like the SS Agile, but we would have atempted to force our bedding under the couch in that unit too. The Adventurous hides the spare tire under the rear couch. The Agile has a rear hitch mounted spare.
The Forest River Sprinter has a manual couch and lots of room behind or under the rear couch for kennels, bedding etc.
None of the above mentioned Sprinters had nice bathrooms. However, we saw a Crystal Coach Sprinter conversion that had a very nice bathroom unit. That coach had space to store large bedding as well, but they are expensive too. Being made in California, with not much of a dealer network, I never expanded that idea since we live in Colorado. Where would you go for warranty work?

For the cost of these units, we decided to search for a Classic Airstream motorhome under 31ft and found a 270 in Ohio which we did buy.
We love the Sprinter conversions. Especially the Westfalia Airstream imported a few years ago, but their costs are still higher than we wanted to take on.
We had a B-190 1997, that sold 2 months ago, and the 270 is its replacement.
There will always be a place in our hearts for the Sprinters, just not a place in our barn
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I got a RoadTrek RS Sprinter because, not only is it an excellent unit, it has a better resale than the Airstream for some damn reason. The Airstream is awesome and I am an Airstream fan, but RoadTrek and Pleasure Way are better trusted names in the Van conversion biz.
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations. I'm sure you will love it. If it has a diesel engine, you will be amazed and delighted at the gas mileage.

We are now at 61,000+ miles and haven't changed our minds a bit.

Happy and safe travels. Will look for you on the road.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Yeah, I don't think you'd go wrong with a Roadtrek - they've been making class Bs for quite a few years, so they should have a good idea of how to do it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I do love the look of the Airstream Sprinter conversions. However, they seem to be a slower sell and I just guessing that it's more about the Roadtrek name and it being synonymous with "B" Class RVs and their experience with the conversions.
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the AS Sprinter conversions are also more expensive.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
We just sold our Roadtrek 200V and was actually looking for a Roadtrek RS Adventurous to replace it. The Roadtrek is a high quality product and well thought out. At the Hershey show we looked at all the Sprinter Conversions, (Roadtrek, Pleasure Way, Leisure Travel, Winnebago ERA), and somehow missed the Interstate. After driving the PW 3500 Sprinter chassis, I found it to be superior on the road, especially in high winds but the floorplan didn't work for us. The 2009 Airstream Interstate we ended up has a higher level of fit & finish than the RS I was so close to bringing home. We've already been out on a 2000+ mile road trip with no regrets.
ben322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixdutch View Post
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons between the Airstream Interstate and a Roadtrek. Both are great looking B's, however, how can one not fall for the Airstream. However, I have heard the Roadtrek makes more efficient use of space. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I found this thread valuable and coming from some one who for business tugs a 28 safari nationwide. I have intense interest in Road trek, sportsmobile and Airstream class b, and find that living in my 28 Safari is unbeatable, yet I need a vehicle that my wife will drive. I would say at least 5-10 weeks/year I need to cover 2k miles within 2 days. A class b is on the radar. 3 months of the year we live in the 28 on the road. 8 months of the year we sit home all in the summer with no usage of the trailer. We have left 28 in 4 states over the past 3 years and find that this no problem and a real advantage of a trailer. So, it appears a class b that can tow a 28 is our next vehicle of choice. Most of our travel includes cold weather and 4x4 is a must, and it must be able to tow nationwide in all conditions. So far, a sportsmobile v10 Ford or diesel 4x4 is on the shortlist. Roadtrek is a leader in quality and great resale. Thanks for the info and keeping the seating to a minimum.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
At the Hershey show we looked at all the Sprinter Conversions, (Roadtrek, Pleasure Way, Leisure Travel, Winnebago ERA), and somehow missed the Interstate.
Was there even an Airstream dealer there? According to the website, no Airstream dealers were signed up to be there, so I didn't go to the show at all.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
The only thing I would say is that I think Roadtrek pretty much wrote the book on van conversions and so probably have more experience.

But then, there may be some layout features of the Airstream that you prefer.

Before we bought our present AS trailer, I was interested in buying the Large Roadtrek (same Sprinter chassis as the AS) They are built just an hour from our home.

But my wife insisted that even though our trips are typically only 6-8 weeks, it would be far too small for us.

After a while I reluctantly agreed she was right, and I guess I don't regret it! I still like them though!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Was there even an Airstream dealer there? According to the website, no Airstream dealers were signed up to be there, so I didn't go to the show at all.
I guess that's why we missed it, but only having seen the previous generation Interstate, I wasn't interested and wanted the 4 captains chairs up front.

The 2008+ AS is essentially a copy of the RS but IMHO the AS has a better bath, better seat cushions/leather, better lighting, and nicer cabinets & hardware. The one thing the Sprinter chassis, in general, gives up over the Chevy is exterior storage. Our RT 200V had storage for an EZ-Up Canopy, 2 folding bikes, 4 folding camp chairs & table and other miscellaneous stuff. But I am thinking of an enclosed hitch-haul.
ben322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
Our RT 200V had storage for an EZ-Up Canopy, 2 folding bikes, 4 folding camp chairs & table and other miscellaneous stuff. But I am thinking of an enclosed hitch-haul.
Wow. My B190 definitely doesn't have that. In fact it doesn't really have any exterior storage... the only exception is that if you didn't get the generator option, you can use its box as a storage compartment.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #20
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Wow. My B190 definitely doesn't have that. In fact it doesn't really have any exterior storage... the only exception is that if you didn't get the generator option, you can use its box as a storage compartment.
I have been known to tow my aluminum utility trailer with boxes on it for carrying 'bikes, tools, and stuff' behind my B-van!
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote