Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
SARASOTA , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
We have been long term Airstream travel trailer owners, but our travel needs are changing a bit. I am considering the getting either the Interstate 19 or the 24GL and was hoping for some guidance from some of you who may have already work thru this. We would primarily use this for long road trips, maybe a 12hour day, getting from point A to point B. Occasionally we might spend a night on the road. The ride would be very important and I am uncertain if the airbags are available on the Interstate 19 or how important that is. When we get to our destination the 24' is going to be a bit of a challenge to find a parking spot, but I think it can work. Do any of you have experience with either of these and have thoughts on how one or the other would be better for our situation. One additional point here, a concern I have about the 19' is that sometimes we will be traveling with a 3rd or 4th person, I did not know how comfortable the seating in the back would be.
Thanks in advance,
Greg
We purchased the 2020 Interstate 19 for same reason-travel from Pt A to B in comfort and camping at National and State parks and travel between our home in Sarasota and Franklin, Tn. Comfortably seats 4 adults or grown grandkids. 2 Harness seat belts in rear bench seats. The size is perfect for short shopping trips and parks easily in our driveway. The Mercedes diesel is powerful and nimble. We bought it new and have clocked 13,000 miles. Our first long trip to Michigan averaged 23 mpg ! You can park this rig anywhere. This is our first RV and Diesel vehicle and so far both AS and Benz have lived up to their quality reputation. We exhaustively shopped all the “B” class makers and this was the best choice for size and quality in our opinion. We have since attached a rack to haul our 2 e-bikes. We have become minimalists since storage is limited but more than adequate for the two of us. The bed is very comfortable and the shower is big enough (I am 6’4” to give you some perspective )
Good luck and hopefully this critique helps.
Ron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Portland , Oregon
Hi,
I upgraded my 22' Interstate to the 24' last year. We love the storage and space in the 24. No problem parking, just takes a few extra minutes sometimes to find space. We go for week-long camping trips or 4-6 week trips all year and love the Interstate. Also, we frequently have people seated in back and the seating is both comfortable and safe with seatbelts.
bboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #23
Living Riveted since 2013

Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboutside View Post
Hi,
I upgraded my 22' Interstate to the 24' last year. We love the storage and space in the 24. No problem parking, just takes a few extra minutes sometimes to find space. We go for week-long camping trips or 4-6 week trips all year and love the Interstate. Also, we frequently have people seated in back and the seating is both comfortable and safe with seatbelts.
Thanks for this! We worry about the length of the vehicle for parking, because our first RV was a B+ / C- unit by Phoenix Cruiser, which was small compared to many RV's, but when faced with trying to find a parking spot inside a National park at a popular location (e.g. Sunrise at Mt. Ranier), we had a terrible time trying to find a way to park so we could see the place. Clearly, we were travling without a toad, as that was a goal for us.

Anyway, that was the kind of event that caused us to re-think everything and move to an Airstream trailer towed by a truck we could park most anywhere (e.g. once we had dropped the trailer at a campsite, we could park the truck most anywhere).

Now that we're dreaming of downsizing, we still don't want to have a toad, which means we would seriously need something we could park in a conventional spot in most any parking lot. The idea of hanging the back of a 24-footer over the curb is a good one, but in a situation like the one I describe, chances of that are minimal.

So, with all that said, would you mind providing an example or two that illustrate times or places where it was more challenging to park your new 24' unit than it would have been to park the 22' unit and how you solved that? Thank you!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #24
Living Riveted since 2013

Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
It IS cool, but I can see your point about the toilet. Have you seen the Boldt? https://youtu.be/KHip4yz5rKQ
Yes, thanks. We've looked at floor plans for the Boldt. Looks like it has potential, and as a bonus it's a 4-season camper van.

Reviews are interesting, though a bit mixed. Not sure we're ready to give up on a generator just because it has lithium batteries on board, though that is a possibility and the idea is appealing. We were certainly able to do that with our trailer with it's huge lithium battery bank and solar, and we love that. Still, we may find it's more cost-effective to to upgrade an existing van's coach batteries from lead-acid to lithium, as well as the electrical system where needed to properly charge and manage the new batteries.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #25
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboutside View Post
Hi,

Did you get the GT or the Lounge? Just curious as we are contemplating - the Lounge feels more open and love the extra captains chairs for when you have more than two people traveling, but thinking that the larger kitchen, more storage and larger fridge/freezer in the GT would be the way to go if you actually want to do real camping (i.e., more than a weekend).
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #26
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Question about MH camping without a toad, when you use the MH for day trips from camp how do you hold your camp spot? Especially in the ever crowded conditions in many places.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There should be a tag for your site.

I also leave a chair out, and if there is electric will unplug and loop the cord over the post.

No, I’ve never had anything stolen in 18 years of RV’ing.

Maggie
Old 07-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Did you get the GT or the Lounge? Just curious as we are contemplating - the Lounge feels more open and love the extra captains chairs for when you have more than two people traveling, but thinking that the larger kitchen, more storage and larger fridge/freezer in the GT would be the way to go if you actually want to do real camping (i.e., more than a weekend).
I have the lounge. Kitchen size is fine, we boondock frequently for several days and have no issues. I like the small refrigerator just fine.We have plenty of storage.
bboutside is offline   Reply With Quote