Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #21
Boschbrakes

2011 Interstate Coach
Spencer , Tennessee
Squishy pedal is Normal

This is an old thread but...
I currently own a 2011 Intestate lounge and experience the same “squishy” feel in the brake pedal. This is normal. I owned a 1999 ML430 that had the same feel. Mercedes has a 2 stage brake booster. Stage 1 normal stopping. Allows the pedal to travel further to allow the driver to more precisely meter their brake control for better stops. Stage 2 when the system senses quick “emergency” stop it goes into full pressure on the top of the stroke. They stop pretty quickly even in RV mode.
My 2012 Fj cruiser also has a similar system but feels normal all the time but then when it senses the “emergency” stop, it goes into full lockup and full ABS and I have only pressed the brake about half way but just very quickly. It is awful. I miss the good old days when we controlled the brakes.

If you don’t believe this, it is easy to check. Just do a quick stop and feel the difference. The brakes catch at the top and doesn’t mush towards the floor. It’s a Benz thing. Get used to it and trust it.
Boschbrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:20 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
Epilogue -Sold our camper

We sold our camper last summer, almost a year ago now. We miss it.

The last service before putting it up for sale, I again spoke to the service advisor about "mushy brake pedal feel". He said they'd check into it. Part of the service included a service-interval brake flush.

Yes, the brake pedal felt much better. Not ideal, but much better. I queried the advisor and he offered almost indifferently "Yeah, they've figured out how to completely flush these systems".

He eluded to how Mercedes is now requiring that the master cylinder "system" needs to be flushed in stages. I couldn't get much more out of him. Not sure what that meant. We really liked the improved pedal feel.

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I have read a lot about this issue on the Sprinter-Source.com Forum. I recently did a brake job myself on my own rig (it was time at around 90,000 miles of mostly highway miles) and paid close attention to flushing, bleeding, etc. and was very cognizant of brake feel after the job.

Try this if the mushy feeling bothers you. Step on the brake pedal while the engine is off. It will feel hard if there is no air in any of the brake lines, cylinders, etc. Now start the van and test the brake feel again - now it will feel mushy. Go back and read Protagonist's post to understand why and: "Don't worry, be happy!"
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:04 AM   #24
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
My brakes are the same and although I haven't had trouble stopping the big issue for me is that the pedal goes so low that it is lower than the accelerator pedal and it is very easy to press the accelerator with the edge of my big foot while stopping. I have power bled them with no change. I know the Sprinter has a lot of pedal travel but I wonder if it is normal for the pedal to actually go lower than the accelerator? Can anyone verify this? I have read conflicting advice regarding bleeding with a MB scan tool and without. I plan to ask the dealer to bleed them using the scan tool when I take it in for the AEM, the scan tool is supposed to activate the ABS to release old fluid and air that may be trapped inside.