Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2024, 08:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Airstream Interetate propane leaks

First Happy Mothers Day to all.

Hi for those with AI, all shapes sizes from last 10 years please. I am specifically looking to troubleshoot a new propane leak on our AI 24GL generator. Generator appears to run fine.
On a quick visual check all hoses connections look intact. Was not an issue two weeks ago

Looking to hear what you have troubleshot / replaced when:
You catch an odor of propane with switch on. No smell with switch off.
Thanks to all.
3OnOurWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 12:56 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Snellville , Georgia
When I noticed a propane leak on my 2021 Airstream Interstate GT I bought and used a Propane Gas Leak Detector with variable sensitivity and traced the leak to the propane pressure regulator. This seems to be the weakest link in the system and the most probable source of propane leaks.

These gas leak detectors are invaluable for RV owners. They can be purchased through Amazon. Get a good one with variable sensitivity to be able to isolate the actual leak source.

Interestingly when I replaced the regulator I noted that the OEM unit had been installed upside down placing the vent on the top rather than on the bottom as required. It is possible that the improper installation contributed to the failure.
MCKlevickis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 08:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Thank you. I’ll grab AI diagram to locate it. If it’s after the propane switch good place to start !
Where did you buy replacement one from, or did you have work performed.

Found this link
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...or-185781.html
Old 05-13-2024, 09:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Snellville , Georgia
I bought a replacement propane gas regulator for my 2021 Interstate GT from etrailer.com.

It is a JR Products Horizontal 2-Stage Propane Regulator
Item # 37207-30375.

Easy replacement. Regulator is located within a removable sheet metal enclosure near the generator. Remember gas fittings sometimes have reverse threads.
MCKlevickis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Thank you
Old 05-13-2024, 09:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Well made time today after dinner to crawl underneath with a soapy bottle explore.

So I have a new high low propane regulator on its way, turned out my leak is from hose and barb and crimped fitting on the propane hose.

I tried to tighten it and tried to re-crimp it to get me through this coming weekend but no luck.

Next stop going to see, since there’s enough room on the hose, will a shop cut off 4 inches and put in a new fitting and crimp in place. Or easier to buy a whole new hose ?

Has annyone experience this or tried the approach of crimp new fitting in place.

Who knows maybe the shop will tell me remove the hose and just bring that down and that’ll make it a 15 minute process
Old 05-14-2024, 01:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OnOurWay View Post
Well made time today after dinner to crawl underneath with a soapy bottle explore.

So I have a new high low propane regulator on its way, turned out my leak is from hose and barb and crimped fitting on the propane hose.

I tried to tighten it and tried to re-crimp it to get me through this coming weekend but no luck.

Next stop going to see, since there’s enough room on the hose, will a shop cut off 4 inches and put in a new fitting and crimp in place. Or easier to buy a whole new hose ?

Has annyone experience this or tried the approach of crimp new fitting in place.

Who knows maybe the shop will tell me remove the hose and just bring that down and that’ll make it a 15 minute process
I would replace the propane hose as that would be easiest IMO. I swapped out the regulator once already and did purchase a decent propane/gas detector but prefer the soapy water route myself.

I also agree that I don’t like the idea of loosing the spare tire spot for this tank. However, where Airstream put the regular tank previously was a tough spot to do work on as I found out when I replaced the regulator. I guess you can’t win either way.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Okay if anyone has dealt with this on an Airstream Insterate, a a donut / toroidal propane tank on the latest version of an AI 24GL maybe 19 are the same ?
. The tank mounts so that hoses cannot be taken off with out lowering tank So it appears.

There’s a vapor box where solenoid, relief hose, fill hose etc are within and there no tolerance when you remove the cover to use any standard wrench to loosen 3/4 in female propane hose nut.

Time for dinner. I’m completely flummoxed tank would mount to not allow hose access.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
General propane leak TL;DR advisories on this fresh thread -

The OP’s vehicle is quite young to manifest a problem of this type, but propane leaks are well-known on older Interstates, in part because the flex lines were only intended to have 5-year lifespans (on at least some models). Here’s a step-by-step that explains one method for replacing them:

REPLACING THE LP FLEX LINES IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

Additionally - and this faked several of us out until we discovered it - there is a second internal regulator inside Onan generators (in addition to the external one which is obvious when the tank-to-generator system is visually inspected). That regulator, too, has a limited lifespan, and when it ultimately fails, it can lead to a number of different undesirable outcomes:

POSTLINK
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Thanks for post. I did read this blog. Was hoping to see who has a toriodol tank on a 2020+ AI to see how they accessed the hose at tank.

Let’s see dropped it off at Rv shop today so they can explore/ drop tank and repair before trip Saturday or not . Only thing leaking was crimp into hi-lo pressure regulator for some reason. I think happens as hoses age etc or routed too tightly.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Shop confirmed they had to drop the toroidal propane tank to access the hose connections against the floor/ frame. Quick 1 hr job for them so well worth me not being there even with Stabilizers which lift AI up. Hose ordered they said wrapped up by Noon tomorrow

Hope this helps if you have a. Crimp / propane hose leak.