Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Douglassville , Pennsylvania
Airstream E1 Package - Anyone Have It?

Potential new Airstream Interstate 19 buyer and am interested in the E1 package on offer. Anyone here actually have the E1 package in their Interstate and that can comment on the usability/value? Of course thoughts on the E1 Package from other folks are welcome.

The E1 package is built around the Volta system. Their (Volta's) website lays out the components included pretty well. This is the same system that has been in use in the Winnebago Travato for a while and probably others as well. I did see a comment in another thread that Airstream techs in Jackson Center are warning people off the E1 option but I have to wonder if that's only because it's new (to Airstream) and they need to get the installation details nailed down. New orders won't be delivered until early 2023 so I would hope/expect any issues would be resolved by then...

Choosing the E1 Package does a delete on the LP system and the external Onan generator. That is appealing as fewer things to need service/break. However kind of surprised to see that the price of the unit is not reduced given the removal of the LP system/generator (and dang are these expensive RVs). The E1 Package is a $24,700 option. I from reading other threads some folks have spent $18,000 or so upgrading their existing coaches to a lithium-based system so Airstream's first-party pricing doesn't seem out of line.

Here is the rundown:

Volta 12,000 Watt-hour Lithium (NMC, or Nickel Manganese Cobalt) Battery Pack w/ Built-in Battery Disconnect
• Timberline 2.0 Diesel-Fired Hydronic Heating & Hot Water System
• 1,100-Watt Single Burner Induction Cook Top
• 3,200-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
• Two 30 AMP DC-DC Converters with 12V Continuous Power
• Secondary 51 Volt, 6,900W Alternator
• 250W of rooftop solar (pretty disappointed to read this, thought there'd be more, and 50W of that is for the chassis battery - so basically no additional solar with the E1 package from standard)
• 2 External Solar Ports (for adding up to 600W of additional solar power)

On asking for more details from Airstream, I got some additional info:
• Improved wiring allows all 110v systems in the unit to be run off the inverter (not sure what this means in reality, but after reading numerous threads re: issues with Airstream wiring this sounds... encouraging?)

Thanks for the feedback.
lorne_k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
2022 Interstate 19
Gloucester , Massachusetts
I don't have any salient info for you, only that when I was at the Hershey show recently, there were several models featuring this option, Tiffin Cahaba - I didn't like it, very chintzy looking build out (i care about the aesthetics probably more than your average person). Grech Tourismo Ion - very plush and really nice just super expensive for someone in the game for only a couple of years and I doubt it'd hold it's value the way an Airstream would. And Airstream vis a vis the E1 package. Sounds nice but I am keeping my purchase under $200k so it was off the table for me. I'm new to RV'ing - previously had an Airstream TT, this is my first class B. I'll get my feet wet with what I am getting (AI19 4x4 '23 TB). If it proves to be better than sliced bread (I surely hope) then maybe down the road, I'll spend up for the E1 and maybe by then whatever issues have been worked out.
Indoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorne_k2 View Post
I did see a comment in another thread that Airstream techs in Jackson Center are warning people off the E1 option but I have to wonder if that's only because it's new (to Airstream) and they need to get the installation details nailed down. New orders won't be delivered until early 2023 so I would hope/expect any issues would be resolved by then...
Unfortunately, they won't know if they have it worked out until these units hit the road for real time use and customers start to complain with issues. Personally, I really like what the E1 option offers but I would pass on this in the beginning unless you're willing to go through the frustrating process of getting it fixed and quirks ironed out.

Me personally, I like having the propane tank and generator. I don't have 1200 AH's of Lithium but have 600 and really happy with it. We replaced our propane burner with an induction cooktop as well. You can get a lot done yourself under that 24k add on. Everyone has different preference and needs so you need to figure that out.

I'm not sure what "improved wiring" they're referring to except that that it may be a a thicker gauge wire. I have all of our outlets tied to the our Victron Multiplus 3000 without any issues thus far.

Good luck with your purchase.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:19 AM   #4
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
I really want the E1 package. Have a 2020 24GT and pricing out same options with price increases in last couple of years, plus E1, MSRP is almost $100k more than I paid ($280 for loaded 2023 vs ~$185k paid for loaded 2020). I don’t know what kind of discount off MSRP I’d be looking at in this market but it won’t be enough. $25k option price for E1 is insane in my opinion.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I don’t trust Airstream’s electrical integration so them outsourcing to Volta is a positive. That said, I don’t know or have experience with Volta so I can’t give a recommendation but I do like their specifications.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Ponte Vedra , Florida
E1

Stay away from E1. I really wanted the option but was at factory in Jackson center and techs said AS was having problems with it so I made my own package. Added 4 battle born 270 aH batteries, 3000 watt inverter and 2nd 270 aH alternator. Kept my propane gen and furnace. Cheaper this way too
CRCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:54 AM   #7
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCMD View Post
Stay away from E1. I really wanted the option but was at factory in Jackson center and techs said AS was having problems with it so I made my own package. Added 4 battle born 270 aH batteries, 3000 watt inverter and 2nd 270 aH alternator. Kept my propane gen and furnace. Cheaper this way too
Given how badly Airstream managed simply switching from AGM to lithium batteries I can’t imagine how badly things are going to go with such a big overhaul of electrical and heating systems.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Did they by chance happen to mention any specific issues that they were having with the E1 option?

I also see that you turned the corner and added a second alternator for charging that big battery bank that you have. I figured that you would need to go down this route eventually with that big of a lithium bank.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:32 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Ponte Vedra , Florida
E1

Quote:
Potential new Airstream Interstate 19 buyer and am interested in the E1 package on offer. Anyone here actually have the E1 package in their Interstate and that can comment on the usability/value? Of course thoughts on the E1 Package from other folks are welcome.

The E1 package is built around the Volta system. Their (Volta's) website lays out the components included pretty well. This is the same system that has been in use in the Winnebago Travato for a while and probably others as well. I did see a comment in another thread that Airstream techs in Jackson Center are warning people off the E1 option but I have to wonder if that's only because it's new (to Airstream) and they need to get the installation details nailed down. New orders won't be delivered until early 2023 so I would hope/expect any issues would be resolved by then...

Choosing the E1 Package does a delete on the LP system and the external Onan generator. That is appealing as fewer things to need service/break. However kind of surprised to see that the price of the unit is not reduced given the removal of the LP system/generator (and dang are these expensive RVs). The E1 Package is a $24,700 option. I from reading other threads some folks have spent $18,000 or so upgrading their existing coaches to a lithium-based system so Airstream's first-party pricing doesn't seem out of line.

Here is the rundown:

Volta 12,000 Watt-hour Lithium (NMC, or Nickel Manganese Cobalt) Battery Pack w/ Built-in Battery Disconnect
• Timberline 2.0 Diesel-Fired Hydronic Heating & Hot Water System
• 1,100-Watt Single Burner Induction Cook Top
• 3,200-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
• Two 30 AMP DC-DC Converters with 12V Continuous Power
• Secondary 51 Volt, 6,900W Alternator
• 250W of rooftop solar (pretty disappointed to read this, thought there'd be more, and 50W of that is for the chassis battery - so basically no additional solar with the E1 package from standard)
• 2 External Solar Ports (for adding up to 600W of additional solar power)

On asking for more details from Airstream, I got some additional info:
• Improved wiring allows all 110v systems in the unit to be run off the inverter (not sure what this means in reality, but after reading numerous threads re: issues with Airstream wiring this sounds... encouraging?)

Thanks for the feedback.
I said in earlier post that AS tech at factory said there were problems with E1. Also said I built my own "E1 package"m with known reliable components. So far I'm quite satisfied with my system. Another consideration is finding repair centers that are capable of working on the E1. Going to the factory for service (at last check) is about a 6 month wait.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I know the newer Interstates are far more power hungry (refrigerator/freezer, fusion radio, etc.) than my 2013. But I think that an individual's usage pattern is also a big factor in the need for an E1. We seldom stay parked in one place for 24 hours. And on those rare occasions where we are camped in one place for more than one night, we are usually driving somewhere during the day. This daily driving of an hour or more, coupled with 200 W of solar, gives us enough battery charge such that we don't need to plug in. So an E1 type of package would be a waste of money for us on our 2013. We recently took a two week trip to the Canadian Rockies and never plugged in. Took a six week trip to Alaska and plugged in at commercial campgrounds twice - where we stayed because we needed to do laundry.

We fire up the generator once a day or so to run the microwave for a few minutes. This adds only a small bit of battery charging. It is an irritant to fire up the generator for short microwave usage. But not enough of an irritant to justify a costly upgrade to the batteries and inverter. Besides, exercising the generator every so often is good for it. We have a total of 50 hours on our generator in 9 years and 98,000 miles.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Are there any owners out there with the new E1 Package? I'd be interested in hearing from someone who actually has this system and how well or not it is working.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:47 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Ponte Vedra , Florida
E1

Prior Posts describe my aftermarket system with 4 Battleborn 270 aH batteries and 2nd alternator. I am happy that I still have my generator. Charging this big battery bank takes a long time. the Nations alternator puts out 180 amps at idle and up to 280 amps while driving. Even so, charging takes a lot of driving time to get the batteries up to Float mode. Without a generator or shore power charging a large battery band will take a lot of engine idle time which may not be good for the engine.

I thought I would want a Timberline or Espar diesel heater but my furnace has done an acceptable job of heating the coach while using only a little propane. I have not been in profound cold temps, only 30s-40s

We have owned our 24GT for 7 months and have had very few problems. BUT, finding knowledgeable service, even authorized AS centers, has not been easy and I live in Jacksonville FL. There are non-warranty sites that can work on Battleborn batteries, Victron inverters-charges, RV furnaces and generators but lots of luck finding a place that can work on an E1 package.

Bottom line: I would not take the E1 package even if available
Old 01-31-2023, 05:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Prior Posts describe my aftermarket system with 4 Battleborn 270 aH batteries and 2nd alternator. I am happy that I still have my generator. Charging this big battery bank takes a long time. the Nations alternator puts out 180 amps at idle and up to 280 amps while driving. Even so, charging takes a lot of driving time to get the batteries up to Float mode. Without a generator or shore power charging a large battery band will take a lot of engine idle time which may not be good for the engine.

I thought I would want a Timberline or Espar diesel heater but my furnace has done an acceptable job of heating the coach while using only a little propane. I have not been in profound cold temps, only 30s-40s

We have owned our 24GT for 7 months and have had very few problems. BUT, finding knowledgeable service, even authorized AS centers, has not been easy and I live in Jacksonville FL. There are non-warranty sites that can work on Battleborn batteries, Victron inverters-charges, RV furnaces and generators but lots of luck finding a place that can work on an E1 package.

Bottom line: I would not take the E1 package even if available

So after some time with your new upgrade, is 1080 Ah's of batteries too much, enough or just right? If you had to do it all over again - would you have gone with 600 or 800? Also, would you do anything differently?

Just trying to figure this out. For us 600 Ah's seems to just right but sometimes I feel like another couple hundred would be even better. I've thought of adding that 2nd alternator but after all the reading that I've done on it, don't like the idea.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:18 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Deliveries of the E1 are supposed to start happening "soon" but I bet no sooner than March 1st or later.

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
Deliveries of the E1 are supposed to start happening "soon" but I bet no sooner than March 1st or later.
I was at the Boston RV show a few weeks prior and they brought one to the show which was available for immediate sale.

Edit to add: The sales associate really didn't know too much about the system and couldn't answer all my questions.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:55 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Douglassville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
Colonial AS has several E1-equipped Interstates in stock right now. All are 24 foot models; haven’t seen any I19s yet…
lorne_k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Ponte Vedra , Florida
E1 and Battleborn batteries

My 4 270 aH Battleborn batteries are right for me. If needed, I could easily add more. We live in northern Florida and it's hot and humid in the summer. My 4 batteries can run the AC for 10+ hours. I don't winterize the coach and keep water in it for trips to the snow belt. I turn the furnace on and the tank heaters. I also have "heat sticks" and place them over the water lines when temps fall into the freezing zone. They run on 110 Volts. We don't have electricity so they are powered by the batteries. I had them plugged in continuously for 5 days and the batteries did fine.

I love the 280 amp Nations alternator and have had no problems with it.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:14 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Colonial AS has several E1-equipped Interstates in stock right now. All are 24 foot models; haven’t seen any I19s yet…
Thanks. Good to know. I was thinking about Interstate X, specifically, but eager to see how people with E1s like them regardless of the Interstate sub-model.

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:15 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2023 Rangeline
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
My 4 270 aH Battleborn batteries are right for me. If needed, I could easily add more. We live in northern Florida and it's hot and humid in the summer. My 4 batteries can run the AC for 10+ hours. I don't winterize the coach and keep water in it for trips to the snow belt. I turn the furnace on and the tank heaters. I also have "heat sticks" and place them over the water lines when temps fall into the freezing zone. They run on 110 Volts. We don't have electricity so they are powered by the batteries. I had them plugged in continuously for 5 days and the batteries did fine.

I love the 280 amp Nations alternator and have had no problems with it.
Where did locate your 4x Battleborns?
zeekwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:16 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Ponte Vedra , Florida
E1

When I purchased my new Interstate 24GT in July, I had them remove the 1000W Xantrex inverter/charger (which I am looking to sell), and the 2 100 aH lithium batteries and replace them with a 3000W Victron inverter/charger and 2 270 aH Battleborn Li batteries. Other electrical stuff was added like AC soft start. Later, I had them add 2 more Battleborn 270 aH batteries. Could not use the original 100 aH batteries because all batteries needed to match. All this was done by Tampa Airstream.

Later I had a second alternator, 280 amp Nations, installed by Freedomvango in Jacksonville.

I am quite happy with the work done by both places and highly recommend them.