Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2023, 06:56 PM   #61
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroderman View Post
I have a new 2024 AI 4WD. I have to say, I am actually a little surprised that we have had if for a couple of months now and put over 2K on it and not a single issue (knock on wood) but I am sure my time is coming.
Great - thanks for additional info. What do you think of the new 2023 Sprinter AWD system with OM654 4-cylinder diesel and 9G-Tronic transmission?

I didnít really want the AWD, but that is all Airstream is offering for the 2024 Interstate 19ís. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2024 Airstream Interstate 19e AWD
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 11:04 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member
 
2023 Interstate 19
Park City , Utah
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Great - thanks for additional info. What do you think of the new 2023 Sprinter AWD system with OM654 4-cylinder diesel and 9G-Tronic transmission?

I didnít really want the AWD, but that is all Airstream is offering for the 2024 Interstate 19ís. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?
When I originally placed the order in April, the dealer told me it would be a 2024 so I asked if it would be the AWD chassis and they didn't seem to know anything about the switch to the AWD which was a little surprising.

It wasn't until a few weeks later they called me to tell me it would be an AWD with an October or November delivery. Then a week or so later they called to tell me they had a customer backed out of a deal of one that was already under construction that was spec'ed out the same as mine and it would technically be a 2024 but would be on one of the last 2022 chassis Airstream had in stock so it would be the 6 cyl 4WD. Since we live in a mountainous area and I wanted the FWD to begin with, I jumped at it and we took delivery a few weeks ago so mine in a 2024 Airstream on a 2022 4WD chassis. The only way you can tell it is a 2024 model is they "upgraded" the TV to a smart TV so it is a little meaningless, just looks newer on the title.

I would have been fine with the AWD chassis but I was a little concerned that knowing Airstream, it might mean they needed to tweak a few things when they make the switch, especially where the E1 package is concerned so I didn't want to be one of the first AWDs they released so it worked out fine.

As I said, we live in a mountainous area so there is a lot of up and down mountains around here but I seem to be averaging about 15.5mpg with the 6 cyl. I am very interested to see the real-world MPG of the AWD 4cyl.
kroderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:25 PM   #63
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,774
Thanks for clarification - I misread your post of ď2024 AI 4WDĒ as 2024 AI AWD. Understand now that you have a 2022 Sprinter with what MB calls 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroderman View Post
When I originally placed the order in April, the dealer told me it would be a 2024 so I asked if it would be the AWD chassis and they didn't seem to know anything about the switch to the AWD which was a little surprising.

It wasn't until a few weeks later they called me to tell me it would be an AWD with an October or November delivery. Then a week or so later they called to tell me they had a customer backed out of a deal of one that was already under construction that was spec'ed out the same as mine and it would technically be a 2024 but would be on one of the last 2022 chassis Airstream had in stock so it would be the 6 cyl 4WD. Since we live in a mountainous area and I wanted the FWD to begin with, I jumped at it and we took delivery a few weeks ago so mine in a 2024 Airstream on a 2022 4WD chassis. The only way you can tell it is a 2024 model is they "upgraded" the TV to a smart TV so it is a little meaningless, just looks newer on the title.

I would have been fine with the AWD chassis but I was a little concerned that knowing Airstream, it might mean they needed to tweak a few things when they make the switch, especially where the E1 package is concerned so I didn't want to be one of the first AWDs they released so it worked out fine.

As I said, we live in a mountainous area so there is a lot of up and down mountains around here but I seem to be averaging about 15.5mpg with the 6 cyl. I am very interested to see the real-world MPG of the AWD 4cyl.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2024 Airstream Interstate 19e AWD
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:25 AM   #64
1 Rivet Member
 
2023 Interstate 19
Seattle , WA
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 10


Thx the setting is hidden and only comes on when you are plugged in.
symonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:38 PM   #65
Bill Bytheway
 
2023 Interstate 24GT
Renton , WA
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 9
Airstream Interstate 24GT E1 Problems

I purchased the Airstream Interstate 24GT E1 last month and have enjoyed it for the first month. Back to service to replace a fuse that reads out the coach battery voltage (delivered that way) so we lost 2 weeks of use. Then back to service as the Volta system's power transfer switch failed thus disabling all power to everything, including the solar charging MPPT system. Bummer since we will not be able to use it until replaced nor able to use it for this year's Thanksgiving week.

The Mercedes coach has been flawless, no defects found.
bythewayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:18 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member
 
2022 Interstate 24GT
Ponte Vedra , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 16
E1 Package

I was again at the factory a few months ago. Talked to techs who work on the electrical issues.. They donít know how to work on the E1. Airstream calls on a Volta tech to fix issues. The E1 comes as an enclosed electrical box. Imagine trying to get a tech at an authorized dealership to address an E1 problem. Probably gonna wait a long time. What is that old saying: When hell freezes over?
Better off to install your own ďE1Ē features. Look at my prior posts. Besides batteries, alternator and other upgrades, I have also added a Webasto diesel heater. That works great! Uses very little diesel fuel and electricity and puts out a very large amount of heat.
CRCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #67
Bill Bytheway
 
2023 Interstate 24GT
Renton , WA
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 9
Volta Inverter Went Belly-Up after Two Months Ownership

My Volta system recently went 100% belly-up and not only did I lose all AC shore and inverter power but the Volta-integrated solar panel controller is also non-functional. The shore/inverter power transfer switch is integrated into the Volta inverter-charger unit.

The only way to charge the Volta 58 volt battery is via the secondary alternator with the engine running over 1500 RPM. The alternator bypasses the Volta and goes directly to the 58 volt Volta battery.

I understand that the 2024 Interstate may have gone back to the separate Victron Energy Solar Charge Controller. Solves the single point failure risk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volta-Schematic.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	438891  
bythewayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 07:26 PM   #68
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,774
bythewayb - have you tried using the Victron smartphone app to communicate with the solar controller? I think all E1 systems with the Volta Power Distribution Hub (PDH) have a Victron solar controller inside the PDH.

The electrical wiring diagram you posted above has a dashed line around all the components inside the PDH.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2024 Airstream Interstate 19e AWD
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:43 AM   #69
Bill Bytheway
 
2023 Interstate 24GT
Renton , WA
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 9
Poor Volta Power Systems customer support

I sent a message to the Volta Power Systems customer support and the engineer's response was "They will need to contact us for repair, or they can contact Airstream".

In my opinion this is terrible customer support from Volta for a $24K addition to the Airstream Interstate MH.

Back to Airstream service repair for at least another two weeks in the shop.
bythewayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:56 AM   #70
Bill Bytheway
 
2023 Interstate 24GT
Renton , WA
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 9
The 2023 Interstate 24GT 4x4 does not have the Victron system, it uses the solar charge controller is which is internal to the Volta Power System. The Volta iPhone app does not display solar charge percent or current, it only shows total charge watts from the Volta internal inverter/charger module.

Unfortunately this MPPT is not enabled unless the dual Volta DC-DC converters are powered on.
bythewayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 04:18 PM   #71
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroderman View Post
. . .
As I said, we live in a mountainous area so there is a lot of up and down mountains around here but I seem to be averaging about 15.5mpg with the 6 cyl. I am very interested to see the real-world MPG of the AWD 4cyl.
Iím getting about 23mpg over the first 6,000 miles so far. It could get better once itís fully broken-in.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2024 Airstream Interstate 19e AWD
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #72
New Member
 
2024 Interstate 19
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 1
New 2024 IE with E1

We recently purchased a 2024 IE with E1. My wife is an electrical engineer, and we sold industrial batteries in our business. We'll post once we have some more experience with it. We did find that not too many people know much about the system at this point. We're keeping our fingers crossed. She does have some concerns about the type of lithium batteries used and said another type of lithium battery would have been safer.
PaulSantaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #73
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSantaFe View Post
We recently purchased a 2024 IE with E1. My wife is an electrical engineer, and we sold industrial batteries in our business. We'll post once we have some more experience with it. We did find that not too many people know much about the system at this point. We're keeping our fingers crossed. She does have some concerns about the type of lithium batteries used and said another type of lithium battery would have been safer.
Paul - Welcome to the forum!!

Your wife is correct - Volta chose to use the riskier Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (NMC) - Automotive Grade cells since they provide more power for their size and weight. It is one of the reasons they won't let owners open the battery pack or the Power Distribution Hub (PDH).

Others, like Lithionics use the safer Lithium-ion Iron Phosphate chemistry.
https://lithionicsbattery.com/safety/

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences with your 2024 Interstate 19e. I have the same model and the electrical work is typically bad as it was on my 2013 Interstate.

I found one of the terminals on the primary 12VDC Circuit Breaker bus bar was "finger tight". Glad I found it early before it vibrated loose and caused problems.

I've already ripped into my Interstate 19 electrical system. Added a second 12V Victron SmartSolar MPPT controller to keep the Sprinter chassis battery charged when the van can sit in my driveway for weeks at a time. Like fellow member StogieMan I'm always making changes to my van. Photo attached shows how I removed rear panel under lounge/bed to see the Volta PHD and associated wiring.

I noticed that on my 2024 Interstate 19e the Volta PHD, that weighs 90 lbs, was not fastened to the vehicle. It was only being held in place by the heavy wires seen on side of the PHD. I contacted my dealer and they were told by Airstream that the PDH is to be held in place by hidden fasteners. Mine has none - so I made some hold down tabs to secure the PDH to the floor as seen in second attached photo. I did it myself because my dealer is over three hours away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VoltaPDH-IMG_3433.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	439152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3468.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	439153  

__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2024 Airstream Interstate 19e AWD
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 20' Caravel
2022 Interstate 24GT
Ventura , California
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Iím getting about 23mpg over the first 6,000 miles so far. It could get better once itís fully broken-in.
Mike 23 mpg is incredible for a heavy van! And thats the 4 cylinder with AWD? For us the 4x4 didnt make sense for us but for others I understand the added functionality. The AWD is another story. Please keep us updated on your I19 w E1 and how the van is performing.
Gerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A ponder - Would Have,Could Have ,Should Have Life is a Highway Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 37 11-01-2019 08:55 AM
Do newer Lincoln Navigators have heavy tow package? cre8fun Tow Vehicles 7 05-10-2016 06:01 PM
The ONLY floor rot I have found. Anyone have a quick fix idea? WILDRTEXAS Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 8 03-18-2010 07:30 AM
Has anyone seen the "entertainment package"? 67caravel Our Community 0 02-28-2004 11:03 PM
Heeeelp! My brakes have failed...anyone have a similar experience? williamhenshall Airstream Motorhome Forums 9 07-12-2002 04:04 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.