Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2023, 03:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCMD View Post
My 4 270 aH Battleborn batteries are right for me. If needed, I could easily add more. We live in northern Florida and it's hot and humid in the summer. My 4 batteries can run the AC for 10+ hours. I don't winterize the coach and keep water in it for trips to the snow belt. I turn the furnace on and the tank heaters. I also have "heat sticks" and place them over the water lines when temps fall into the freezing zone. They run on 110 Volts. We don't have electricity so they are powered by the batteries. I had them plugged in continuously for 5 days and the batteries did fine.

I love the 280 amp Nations alternator and have had no problems with it.
That’s good to know because my next van, what ever I get, will have a big lithium battery bank. I’d like not having to winterize for our mild winters in central Maryland.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:29 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Colonial AS just notified me today that my Interstate 19 with the E1 is at the dealership ready for pickup, sounds like I'll be one of the first guinea pigs. I have a Revel with the lithium system and the batteries are great but the inverter craps out constantly.

I'll post an update once I have it for a little bit, anything specific you want to know?
yachius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachius View Post
Colonial AS just notified me today that my Interstate 19 with the E1 is at the dealership ready for pickup, sounds like I'll be one of the first guinea pigs. I have a Revel with the lithium system and the batteries are great but the inverter craps out constantly.

I'll post an update once I have it for a little bit, anything specific you want to know?
Thanks!

Looking forward to hearing more about your Interstate 19 with the E1 option.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:08 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Douglassville , Pennsylvania
Picking up I19 with E1 Next Week

Our Interstate 19 with E1 package also arrived last week and we did all the paperwork at Colonial yesterday. Checked the unit out thoroughly and are doing the orientation/pickup next week.

Ours looked good - chose the Classic Canyon interior which is a nice, lighter option.

One thing to note, for those considering the E1 on the 19, is that the Timberline system is NOT included. According to my contact at AS the Timberline system does not "fit" in the 19, only in the 24s. Instead they are using the Truma Combi 6DE for furnace/hot water. Similar functionality to the Timberline system.

I did point out to AS they should update the website/literature to reflect the fact that the 19 does not use the Timberline so as to avoid confusion...

This site has been hugely valuable over the last several months preparing for our I19's arrival. Tons of great info and contributors here.
lorne_k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:32 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
2022 Interstate 24GT
Ventura , California
I saw the new interior at an LA dealership also with the E1 package in stock. The new interior looks awesome! Congratulations!!
Gerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 11:18 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorne_k2 View Post
Our Interstate 19 with E1 package also arrived last week and we did all the paperwork at Colonial yesterday. Checked the unit out thoroughly and are doing the orientation/pickup next week.

Ours looked good - chose the Classic Canyon interior which is a nice, lighter option.

One thing to note, for those considering the E1 on the 19, is that the Timberline system is NOT included. According to my contact at AS the Timberline system does not "fit" in the 19, only in the 24s. Instead they are using the Truma Combi 6DE for furnace/hot water. Similar functionality to the Timberline system.

I did point out to AS they should update the website/literature to reflect the fact that the 19 does not use the Timberline so as to avoid confusion...

This site has been hugely valuable over the last several months preparing for our I19's arrival. Tons of great info and contributors here.
Thanks for sharing that info. I think the Truma Combi 6DE might actually be better than the Timberline system.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorne_k2 View Post
I've done some additional research on the I19's. Turns out they all come with a Truma Combi for heat and hot water. The standard propane versions have the Truma Combi that uses gas (propane) and electric. The E1 package changes to the Truma Combi 6DE that uses diesel fuel and electricity. The only visible difference in the outside vent cover.

BTW the Airstream web site now has owner's manuals and parts books that cover the I19 with E1 option. Good resource of information.

I've located all the E1 components except where Airstream mounted the large Power Distribution Hub. I forgot to look under the rear lounge when I was at the dealer yesterday. Assume that is where they mounted the Power Distribution Hub which would use up some of the storage space under the rear lounge seat.

Can you confirm the location of the Power Distribution Hub?
Old 03-18-2023, 01:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I've done some additional research on the I19's. Turns out they all come with a Truma Combi for heat and hot water. The standard propane versions have the Truma Combi that uses gas (propane) and electric. The E1 package changes to the Truma Combi 6DE that uses diesel fuel and electricity. The only visible difference in the outside vent cover.

BTW the Airstream web site now has owner's manuals and parts books that cover the I19 with E1 option. Good resource of information.

I've located all the E1 components except where Airstream mounted the large Power Distribution Hub. I forgot to look under the rear lounge when I was at the dealer yesterday. Assume that is where they mounted the Power Distribution Hub which would use up some of the storage space under the rear lounge seat.

Can you confirm the location of the Power Distribution Hub?
Mike, when I went to the Boston RV show in January and looked at the AIGT with the E1 package, most of the E1 "hardware" was under the garage area under the lounge seat. From what I saw, there was no space for storage as it looks like it took up all the available storage which kinda sucks! I tried to look and pull on things for access but couldn't.

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	429261  
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:13 PM   #29
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
For what it is worth the “E1” system (volta integrated power system) has been used for 3+ years in the Storyteller Overland sprinters. You might check in with some of those owners for longer term reviews.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
For what it is worth the “E1” system (volta integrated power system) has been used for 3+ years in the Storyteller Overland sprinters. You might check in with some of those owners for longer term reviews.
The Volta system is also on various models of the Winnebago Travato and Boldt. They call it their Pure3 Advanced Energy System.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Just reading the April issue of FMCA magazine and saw an article about a new Cummins Hybrid RV power system. It was introduced at the Florida RV show in January. Linked page below from Cummins indicates they are going to be using the Volta components, but with their generator instead of a large alternator on the coach engine. Probably a good solution for larger RVs.

https://www.cummins.com/news/release...a-rv-supershow
Old 03-20-2023, 05:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
For me, I'm not doubting the Volta system but am doubting Airstream's implementation, wiring decisions and rollout which they have a history of fumbling.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:07 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
​201​9 Atlas​
San Antonio , Texas
19 Foot Storage with E1?

Can anyone show pictures or provide an estimate of how much space you lose in the 19ft with the E1 package? Wondering how much storage you lose in an already small van. Thank you.
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:01 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Douglassville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
Can anyone show pictures or provide an estimate of how much space you lose in the 19ft with the E1 package? Wondering how much storage you lose in an already small van. Thank you.
You lose a lot. With the installation of the E1 package they completely close off the majority of the rear under seat storage area. You're left with about 18 inches of space front/back across the width of the van, less the hardware for the sofa bed.

You also have to remember they run two of the 4 heater outputs of the Truma system to that back storage area (why, Airstream, why???). So the area on the driver's side is even less available space since you need to account for the heat output (assuming it's cold and you are running the heating system).

In the end we are getting an Owl Vans expedition box installed to give us some room to store items outside of the van.

All in all we love the van but do scratch our heads at some of the installation decisions AS has made. But as time goes on I imagine I'll be able to mitigate some of it with creative packing/storage ideas, many of which I've found on this site.
lorne_k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
I'm not a fan of Facebook, but there is a Facebook Group "Airstream Interstate Nineteen" where several members have posted photos of the space under rear lounge with the E1 package. Attaching a couple of examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearGarageAI19.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	429962   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearGarageAI19-3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	429963  

Old 04-08-2023, 02:11 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
The Owl Vans box looks nice but looks like it requires a frame to be mounted to the rear door?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
The Owl Vans box looks nice but looks like it requires a frame to be mounted to the rear door?
Yes - you need to start with their Sherpa Cargo Carrier, $1,395 and then add a storage box of desired size; $749 to $1,599.

https://owlvans.com/collections/carg...s30-2020-revel

https://owlvans.com/collections/boxes
Old 04-10-2023, 07:51 AM   #38
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'm reading elsewhere that Airstream units with the E1 package may, by design, pop breakers when plugged into a GFCI outlet for shore power. If you're shopping for or buying an E1-equipped unit, I'd suggest asking about that before ordering or taking one home so you know what the situation is and can decide whether that matters to you.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:07 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Kinnelon , New Jersey
I'm pretty sure this is user error. There are two different places to adjust the amperage that the van will try to pull, adjusting the inverter from the Volta screen will only limit current inside the van, there is another adjustment on the main control panel which is a non-obvious button that will limit how much current will be pulled from shore.

I have my E1 plugged into a 20 amp GFCI in my driveway and if the control panel is left on 30amp from a road trip it will reliably pop the breaker, as it should. Setting it to 20 works as expected.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:12 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Kinnelon , New Jersey
I find that the Interstate 19 has so little usable storage that the tiny space you lose to the E1 barely registers. My last van was a Revel so the cargo area was huge in comparison. External storage is a must for extended trips and I'm probably going to add a roof rack as well, the solar isn't making a dent in 12kwh.

For me personally, the benefit of the batteries outweigh everything else.

So far the biggest problem I've run into with the E1 package is that the battery box is located where the spare tire carrier usually goes on a sprinter and the wiring is run out the passenger side of the battery box, including high voltage. This decision completely blocks an exhaust pipe reroute which is a must on these vans in my opinion.