Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Going back to the OP's concern about maintaining the batteries while the unit is at the dealer for service: this seems another great argument for having at least some solar on your unit. We have that, and as a result we don't worry about what will happen to our batteries at the dealer. They are always at 100% when we pick up our RV after it's been serviced.
That is much of a disappointment with the AS Interstate. My test shows that the battery draws 0.4 Amp 24/7 with the main switch turned off. That is 9.6 A every 24 hours. The 50W or even the 100W solar panel AS installs wil hardly maintain a 200AH system in the greener parts of the country without plugging into shore power or completely disconnecting the battery.

So a solar upgrade is just about a must if you intend to have your buggy sit anywhere for longer than a week or two.
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixkagi View Post
That is much of a disappointment with the AS Interstate. My test shows that the battery draws 0.4 Amp 24/7 with the main switch turned off. That is 9.6 A every 24 hours. The 50W or even the 100W solar panel AS installs wil hardly maintain a 200AH system in the greener parts of the country without plugging into shore power or completely disconnecting the battery.

So a solar upgrade is just about a must if you intend to have your buggy sit anywhere for longer than a week or two.
You need to find the parasitic current draws and turn them off. My 50W panel charge rate is about 2 AH to 4 AH per day. AFAIK, that is for the BIM and solar charge controller. Keeps the two batteries @ 100% 24/7.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Montrose , Pennsylvania
73shark

Can you tell us what you disconnected to get to such as low parasitic draw (2-4 AH per day)?

Thanks!
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
You need to find the parasitic current draws and turn them off. My 50W panel charge rate is about 2 AH to 4 AH per day. AFAIK, that is for the BIM and solar charge controller. Keeps the two batteries @ 100% 24/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedor View Post
Can you tell us what you disconnected to get to such as low parasitic draw (2-4 AH per day)?
Keeping it succinct (for once!)… Shut off everything that can be shut off through the main disconnect or through its own switch.

I've said it before on other threads, the minimum size of solar panel to maintain house batteries by solar alone is to take the amp-hour capacity of your batteries, and get at least that many watts of solar panel. So for an Interstate with 160 amp-hours of house battery, you need at least 160 watts of solar panel, with an appropriate charge controller. The stock 50w panels on older Interstate or 100w panels on the latest models just aren't big enough to maintain the batteries by themselves if anything is left turned on.

Fortunately, you have an on-board Onan generator. And proper generator maintenance requires operating the generator at least once a month anyway, whether you need it or not, just to keep the moving parts lubricated so the generator doesn't seize up when you really need it if you try to start it after letting it sit for too long. So if you have to run the generator anyway, you might as well make it part of your normal battery charging routine by turning on the inverter/charger in charge mode every time you start the generator. Just make sure there's enough charge left in the batteries to even start the generator!
Old 10-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedor View Post
73shark

Thanks!
First, I misread my data. It's more like 10-12 AH/day.

My battery disconnect basically kills everything that draws current even when not operating e.g., TV antenna booster and propane valve, except for, as previously stated, the BIM and solar charge controller.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote