Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #101
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Check at 14:32... great to finally see the new Sprinter chassis in an RV...

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #102
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Panama City Beach , Florida
I too have become a satisfied Lew customer

Just got back from Naples with 400 w solar panels and 400 aH Lithium. Great work by Lew and Michael.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30C817CF-915E-45A3-AD19-5EF34824CC6E.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	335521   Click image for larger version

Name:	33784654-27AA-4E32-8396-690513005DA4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	335522  

tk.1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #103

Orlando , Florida
Sweet!!!!! ^^^
WBCCI #26769
Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #104
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk.1217 View Post
Just got back from Naples with 400 w solar panels and 400 aH Lithium. Great work by Lew and Michael.
I'm curious how he wired it up to allow for the engine alternator charging. That's what has me a bit worried when installing 400amp or higher load batteries. Lots of different ways it can be done.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
2019 25' Globetrotter
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I'm curious how he wired it up to allow for the engine alternator charging. That's what has me a bit worried when installing 400amp or higher load batteries. Lots of different ways it can be done.
The line item they are installing is a "Victron Cyrix-Li-ct 12/24V-230A Intelligent Li-ion battery cmb", which is just a chassis battery boost I think. I'm not sure of anything else but I know they are doing something as there is about 6 hours of labor. I told them I definitely want the plumbing for the second alternator so it might be some of that. I'm considering adding a Nations second alternator for the house but it's not cheap with install. They tell me the factory alternator will bring me up to about 80% state-of-charge and the overall solar will help top that up a bit (I travel in the south primarily). The 2nd alternator is probably my next upgrade but for now I will see how the factory alternator performs. I opted for more aH of lithium over the alternator to give me a bigger base of power and I plan on plugging in every 3-7 days.
ChrisCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Check at 14:32... great to finally see the new Sprinter chassis in an RV......
Check out that magnificent new table system that Winnebago has revealed - such innovative thinking!! Not just the same old clunky floor-pedestal table design, but an actual ergonomic thought process involving two receivers (front and rear) and both indoor and outdoor capability!

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Seems like you have the W as fans and subscribers of your blog. Where is your royalties on helping them with their design choices?
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #108

Orlando , Florida
InterBlog, your mounting solution is still more elegant and better executed, imho.
WBCCI #26769
Old 03-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
InterBlog, your mounting solution is still more elegant and better executed, imho.
LOL thank you, I thought so too, but I having a rare moment in which I was feeling graceful and so I did not say that.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #110
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
I was hoping that Airstream would put the Truma in the new AIs since they did that in the AI19. My sources tell me that the Truma is in the AI19 was only because of the limited interior space and won't be going into the 2020 AI. The upgrade from the Suburban (?) furnace and gas water heaters would cost Airstream about $1,000 per van. Apparently they don't think that buyers will pay more for the added storage space and a more efficient and comfortable heat/water system. Winnebago's Boldt is a bet that we will. Hope Airstream goes with Truma. The huge box under the back seat is really unnecessary. Temperatures would be more consistent when heat is on. The Truma saves a few holes in the side of the van too.
Fixin2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
2019 25' Globetrotter
Tucson , Arizona
My last van had a Truma Combi and it was amazing compared to my AI now. Super even heat, extremely quiet (nearly silent!) and the hot water actually worked well. The AI heater is shockingly loud and only the front of the van is warm. I have to run a small radiant oil heater in the back. I'm sure everyone is aware of what I'm talking about

I've been giving a lot of thought on installing a Truma Combi where the existing water heater is. I actually think it's do-able.
ChrisCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #112
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
There is plenty of room to install a Truma Combi in another place and you can free up the storage space where your current water heater is located. At the January Tampa RV Show I removed the vent that's thumbscrewed in under the refrigerator on a 2019 AI GT and it would fit there. Then you could also remove your Suburban gas furnace and put in a huge drawer. That would leave several holes in the side of the van that could be closed by an auto body shop. The concentric air inlet/exhaust on the Truma Combi are typical German engineering perfection.

Issues with sound and air circulation issues caused by the Suburban RV Furnace could make this a worthwhile upgrade. The Truma Combi's 4 flexible heat ducts to tiny outlets located your van will take care of any cold spots.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #113

Orlando , Florida
I sure hope Airstream switches to them for future Interstates... not even sure why they did not switched long ago...
WBCCI #26769
Old 03-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
I sure hope Airstream switches to them for future Interstates... not even sure why they did not switched long ago...
Ahh yes, the age old question...why didn’t Airstream...(users choice for the rest).😂
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
San Francisco , California
Nice rig.

What I've been watching is the development of Rivian truck/suv coming out of Michigan. They are truly a Game Changer. Talking with their reps, the truck is 100 electric, goes 410 miles on a charge, 0-60 in 3 secs, but now developing a self charging system while driving. Lots of interesting conversations regarding towing trailers and I noted my 19' FC. I also noted having a adaptive system to recharge the truck via the trailer wheels. Lots of ooos and aaaaahs.

One Rivian model will have a lift range of up to 450 mm for off-road with their 4Quad engine; one engine per wheel, engine well is now the truck. Surprisingly, my Tesla contacts here in the Bay Area have conveyed Tesla hasn't even considered a truck and truth be know, Musk isn't really into Tesla to begin with, it was all about the development of the battery systems

I wonder if Winnebago, AS an others have even considered doing this with their vehicles. If the batt packs are the base of the vehicle, it frees up the engine well as cargo space. An engine per wheel, that would be nice.

The changes are coming as Shell gas stations throughout the Bay Area are now upgrading for Hydrogen and Electric, and my old college friends working at Chevron tell me they are about to do the same as it's easier to simply maintain gas stations and rename them as fuel stations.

I sort of wish I was a kid again as dying to see how the next 50 years turns out when the first flying RVs come out

Posse96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Here's a "herd" result I would not have predicted... Airstream made the list, but not with the Interstate. The Classic made the list - huh. Call me jaded, but I would not have expected either one of them to score in this particular competition (this is Outside, a good-sized publication - almost 700K circulation).

https://www.outsideonline.com/239230...-trailers-2019
Old 04-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #117

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Here's a "herd" result I would not have predicted... Airstream made the list, but not with the Interstate. The Classic made the list - huh. Call me jaded, but I would not have expected either one of them to score in this particular competition (this is Outside, a good-sized publication - almost 700K circulation).

https://www.outsideonline.com/239230...-trailers-2019

I am waiting for Airstream to come out with the Interstate in the new MB Sprinter... to see what additional changes, if any, they make. The platform itself is a great improvement and all builders will benefit from it. Where in the past the line of "we check every box" was a differentiator for Airstream, that is no longer the case. Seeing several builders saying the same now with the 2020 Sprinter. The extra gears and expected increase in mpg will be welcomed as well...

What I am seeing from the new offerings, when compared to what I currently have:

• I still prefer the interior we have in the Tommy Bahama trim. Anything I look at, I am comparing to this trim... I sure hope other vendors pick up in using bamboo, or non-gloss finishes in their cabinets. It provides a warmer feel... and look so much more modern and spacious than the darker/gloss finishes. Again, just my preference.
  • Fit and finish still look better in the AI. I have been reading other forums and folks complain even more about faults found... then you got to the Boldt FB page and read on some of the feedback from AI owners that have had a bad experience with their AI and can't wait to change it...
  • I would like a better, more durable solar solution. Have not had a chance to go to the AI to take photos, but as I mentioned in my ownership thread, the flexible panels are showing their age with only 14 months of ownership... changing them will mean installing a rack of some sort to install higher quality aluminum framed/glass covered panels... I have not check efficiency to confirm if it has degraded...this is based strictly on how they look...will confirm shortly. But this would apply to any other vendor using the same flexible panels...
  • I keep wondering if we would manage just as well in a smaller package... but then we head out with friends and really appreciate the extra space in our current rig to carry the ARB cooler and other things inside and with easy reach from the back seat (no need to stop to open the doors to have access to it). Parking and maneuverability has not been an issue so far...
  • Long term reliability of the Sprinter is in the back of my mind... I try not to think about it much, but I do... Problem is, any other platform, imho, is uglier... love the lines of the MB Sprinter compared to that of the Ford or Dodge... plus I want the benefits in mpg of the diesel...
Enough rambling... this is my first RV... only had it for 14 months and already looking at what is next. Not because I do not like it, just because I like looking ahead at the next vehicle that will replace it.
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #118
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Very unfortunate that the flex solar panels have issues. Like you said - the AI is a really well designed van. To me the AI has the best interior design and ability to carry 7 or even 9 people with seat belts and still go camping. Apparently most are used for transportation and very occasional overnighting so maybe some upgrades aren't worthwhile to most buyers.

With the arrival of the Winnebago Boldt there has be pressure on Airstream to at least offer an option package with stuff like Volta Lithium, Truma heater, rigid solar panels, quiet AC. If not they are going to lose business. We can overlook a few things and upgrade as necessary but that list of desired upgrades is getting longer... The AI was quick to offer the VB Air Suspension and the EF Levelling System. Hope they stay at the front of the herd. The competition is getting close now.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #119

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixin2Drive View Post
...With the arrival of the Winnebago Boldt there has be pressure on Airstream to at least offer an option package with stuff like Volta Lithium, Truma heater, rigid solar panels, quiet AC. If not they are going to lose business. We can overlook a few things and upgrade as necessary but that list of desired upgrades is getting longer... The AI was quick to offer the VB Air Suspension and the EF Levelling System. Hope they stay at the front of the herd. The competition is getting close now.

Several of us have been providing direct feedback to Airstream for improvements. How many of those get implemented is for Airstream to decide...

Here is one of those threads that capture that...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...am-176921.html

One thing that they have seen to listen to and change is the location of the propane fill assembly... in the 2020 Interstate 19 it looks like the have raised it and it is behind a door on the side sill... that is progress...

The other complaint was the rear bed comfort... the 2020 (both 19 and the regular ext Interstate) now have the thicker and flatter bed. So that is another area that has improve.

Something that I have seen that would like them to incorporate is the new way the tables are being used in the competition... a Lagun RV Table Mount... and avoiding the based bolted on the floor that just gets in the way and looks ugly... I am also looking on how to make that change in mine...

Another thing that I saw the other day, and have not been able to identify the brand, is the fridge that the door opens from the left or the right.... pretty handy to avoid having to move around to get to the stuff inside...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #120
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
to replace the flexible solar panels (which were junk on our 2016) does not require a rack on the roof however it does require fixing solar panels with L shaped aluminum feet, these are stuck on with 3M double sided tape then covered in sikaflex. that combination works well and is easy to install. what will make the install slightly more involved is if you want more than 100W of solar (we needed 400W). this means pulling new wires as the original installed by airstream are only 10G. it will likely be good to replace them as the connector they used was heavily corroded after only a year on the roof. basically you need to install a combiner box, pull 6g wires down to a new solar Victron controller. the victron will allow you to see what is going into the batteries and you can do this via your phone. if you have an atkins solar controller it is best removed and placed in garbage. it is not a three phase controller and is only charging your batteries to 85% which will ruin them quickly. you will find victron an amazing upgrade. You don't need the victron 712 if you use your phone to see the charge status. assuming you double your batteries you can now boondock forever if there is sun