Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Air suspension on 2015 Grand Tour

Has anyone ridden in the back on coach that had the optional air suspension?

Any negatives to the twin interior verses the rear couch? Thanks,,
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I rented a Sprinter Van from Advanced RV with the air suspension and it was a dramatic improvement versus my Sprinter Store upgraded Airstream Interstate. The entire ride was smoother and more enjoyable. It felt much more like a car. There was less noise inside from things bouncing around. I was much less stressed driving it. I also thought it was substantially better with cross winds. I was able to steer having one finger on the wheel versus my white knuckle grip on my Interstate.

For the Lounge versus Twin argument, there are many threads discussing this. My two cents are that you should get the Lounge only if you need the additional seating and if you primarily use it as a daily driver. It's probably slightly more in demand too because it appears flexible and it may affect resale value. However, I think the twin is far easier since the bed is always down and made and will be much more comfortable. It's also easier to get in and out of especially at night. The new Twin Grand Tour can be made into a King bed if you wish so I think it's the clear choice unless you require the additional seat belts.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I would agree with migriffin's comments about twin vs. lounge bed. I have a lounge because we often use the rear seats to haul the family and friends. I converted it to a twin because it's easier to get out of than a large bed.

Every thing I've read about the full air suspension indicates it works great, but I have no first hand experience.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Great responses. Thanks.

One question one question for Boxter-how did you Convert it to a twin?
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Bob,
There is an entire thread on the twin vs lounge bed issue. See this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1663507

I posted pictures of my bed mod stating at post # 22 in this thread.

Enjoy,

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 09-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
There's one other consideration no-ones mentioned so far: the ability to carry more behind the lounge is lost with twin beds. I cart around a couple of folding bikes, a couple of folding chairs, tools, electric tire pump, etc. Not sure I could get those inside with twins, and certainly not out of sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I own a 2015 Interstate Lounge purchased new in November. We use it for day trips with our children and grandchildren. It has been mostly problem free and we enjoy it. Not so enjoyable is the ride for the people in the back. When the 2016 came out with air suspension we test rode one and found it to be a night verses day better ride. We looked at retrofitting it but it would require the removal of most of the tanks and generator to do the installation. We had concerns about having problems with the coach after the installation. Neither I nor my wife are mechanical at all.

I decided to trade in my coach for a new 2016. I will be picking it up in a few weeks. I now have concerns after reading all the horor stories about electrical, generator, A/C, macerator and other problems. Further, I recently visited the Jackson Center Airstream facility and saw an Interstate being assembled. It is a small assembly line with three stations. They allow each unit to be at the station for two hours. If longer is required they pull it off to the side. All the installation is done manually with many workers screwing things on running wires etc. One can see how easily something could be missed or misinstalled.

Now wondering if I made a mistake and should have done the retrofit.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
Now wondering if I made a mistake and should have done the retrofit.
ALL decisions can be second-guessed. If you had done the retrofit, you'd still be asking if you should have done the trade-in instead.

My advice is the classic, "Don't worry. Be happy." If you have problems with your new Interstate, you'll deal with them, with help from your friends here on the AirForums. Just like an airplane or a boat, an RV is a just collection of parts that usually all agree to move in more-or-less the same direction, and so problems are inevitable when one part decides it doesn't want to play well with the others. The best campfire stories aren't about how you didn't have problems; they're how you did have problems, but solved them and had fun anyway.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
I just called Airstream and was told they don't offer an air suspension retrofit. I have a message into one of the service writers, but in the meantime, has anyone talked with Airstream service on this? Anyone had it done? Suggestions for whom to contact?
thanks/r
NOLA_russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
I received a return call from Chris (didn't catch last name), who stated categorically that it's only offered on new manufacture coaches, no "after market" installation.
NOLA_russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Amg
3 Rivet Member

I also asked Airstream when I was at Jackson Center and they said no. They do actually install them in the service bays for the units that will go on the assembly line. There is nothing underneath so an easier job

I spoke with Advanced RV in Ohio and they do retrofit the exact same air suspension system. However, they have to remove all the underneath fixtures (tanks, pipes, generator) and then reinstall them.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:50 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
I also asked Airstream when I was at Jackson Center and they said no. They do actually install them in the service bays for the units that will go on the assembly line. There is nothing underneath so an easier job

I spoke with Advanced RV in Ohio and they do retrofit the exact same air suspension system. However, they have to remove all the underneath fixtures (tanks, pipes, generator) and then reinstall them.
Did they quote ha price?
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
You can plan on spending about $10,000 on a full air suspension retrofit. Advanced RV is an authorized installer for the VB-Air Suspension system. The Sprinter Store (Upscale Automotive) in the Portland, OR area as sells and installed a competing system made by Glide-Rite. Both systems are reported to be approved by Mercedes for Sprinter installations.

- - Mike
Old 09-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
Amg
3 Rivet Member

When I spoke to Advanced they also mentioned the $10,000 range but could not provide an exact quote. They wanted to see the unit (which is understandable) and indicated the quote would be on a time charge basis because of the unknowns of removing items for the retrofit. Advanced produces their own Sprinter based motor homes (very high end) and has done other retrofits.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The air suspensions I've seen are bolt in systems (no welding). If generators and plumbing don't have to be relocated, the system can probably be installed DIY over a pair of weekends at less than half the price quoted above. But given the weight of the components involved and the custom wiring needed for the compressor, this wouldn't be a task for the inexperienced.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
The air suspensions I've seen are bolt in systems (no welding). If generators and plumbing don't have to be relocated, the system can probably be installed DIY over a pair of weekends at less than half the price quoted above. But given the weight of the components involved and the custom wiring needed for the compressor, this wouldn't be a task for the inexperienced.

Those bolt on systems are only air-bag assist devices. The full air suspension systems we are talking about in this thread require removal of the rear leaf springs and replacing them with a totally new rear suspension system.

- - Mike
Old 09-26-2015, 12:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Those bolt on systems are only air-bag assist devices. The full air suspension systems we are talking about in this thread require removal of the rear leaf springs and replacing them with a totally new rear suspension system.

- - Mike
Leaf springs are held on with bolts too. :-).

These systems replace each leaf spring with a trailing arm that bolts to the front leaf spring mounts. The chassis is then supported by 2 bags mounted to the trailing arms. This configuration has no lateral stability so i believe Glide Right and VB both use panhard bars.

That's unfortunate because a Watts link does a much better job of centering the axel as it translates up and down.

Rear leaf spring suspensions really don't have many parts so I can't imagine, even with all the stability control and antilock brakes, not being able to remove an axel before noon on a Saturday. Some model Interstates have the generator tucked in close to the differential which has to be relocated before the panhard bar will fit. Lucky for us, ours Interstate isn't one of those models. I just need to convince Interblog that this is an upgrade she needs.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Good points LB_3. I see your thinking about bolt-on. But as you said the weight of the components you need to remove is problematic.

- - Mike
Old 09-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Not to mention the fact that you're dealing with a 5 ton vehicle. You will need a substantial floor jack and jack stands to support this weight.

And getting to the jack points on this unibody vehicle with all the equipment added under the body is not an easy task.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
Amg
3 Rivet Member

I have now had my 2016 Lounge ext with air suspension for a month. The ride in the back is like night and day compared to my 2015 without air suspension. I use my Interstate as a day coach and a good ride for my rear passengers is important. It was well worth the cost of trading in my 2015 for a new unit. I guess if the rear is not used for passengers it is not necessary.