Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #21
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
I have now had my 2016 Lounge ext with air suspension for a month. The ride in the back is like night and day compared to my 2015 without air suspension. I use my Interstate as a day coach and a good ride for my rear passengers is important. It was well worth the cost of trading in my 2015 for a new unit. I guess if the rear is not used for passengers it is not necessary.
This is great news - looking at trading my 2014 for 2016 for this exact reason.

Do you have 2015 or 2016 chassis? Dealer is telling me the 2016 Chassis has smaller fuel tank and less airbags; anyone else have knowledge of 2016 v 2015 Chassis?
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Is the rear air suspension only an aftermarket addition? I can not find it on the possible options from M/Benz.
https://sprinterguy.files.wordpress....an-options.pdf
The all wheel drive is a pricy option.
Road Jager
Old 12-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #23
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I have a 2016. I know the propane tank is listed as being smaller but it is the same size. They just changed the capacity to the limit the tank can hold which is 80%. The only change I noticed as a result of the air bag suspension is the elimination of the recessed cooler storage area by the rear door. The needed it for the air bag suspension equipment. The fuel tank to my knowledge is the same as in the 2015.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
Is the rear air suspension only an aftermarket addition? I can not find it on the possible options from M/Benz.
https://sprinterguy.files.wordpress....an-options.pdf
The all wheel drive is a pricy option.
Road Jager

The VB Air Suspension installed by Airstream in the new Interstates is an aftermarket item in USA. It is approved by Mercedes and available as a factor option in Europe. The VB system is also installed by Advanced RV on their B-vans. VB has been growing their USA presence and has several dealers around the country.

http://www.vbairsuspensionusa.com/us/

Having this system installed on an older Interstate will involve dropping several of the under body tanks to get access to the rear suspension mounting points. I've been looking at the VB and Glide-Rite air suspension, but they are very expensive - like $10,000 installed as an aftermarket item. I think I saw a post that the Interstate option price was about $8,000, which sounds about right.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
This is great news - looking at trading my 2014 for 2016 for this exact reason.

Do you have 2015 or 2016 chassis? Dealer is telling me the 2016 Chassis has smaller fuel tank and less airbags; anyone else have knowledge of 2016 v 2015 Chassis?

I was at a Mercedes tech briefing earlier this year and the representative from Mercedes USA said all Sprinters would now have the slightly smaller fuel tank used in the 4x4 Sprinters. It was a parts simplification efforts to save a few $'s.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
I own a 2015 Interstate Lounge purchased new in November. We use it for day trips with our children and grandchildren. It has been mostly problem free and we enjoy it. Not so enjoyable is the ride for the people in the back. When the 2016 came out with air suspension we test rode one and found it to be a night verses day better ride. We looked at retrofitting it but it would require the removal of most of the tanks and generator to do the installation. We had concerns about having problems with the coach after the installation. Neither I nor my wife are mechanical at all.

I decided to trade in my coach for a new 2016. I will be picking it up in a few weeks. I now have concerns after reading all the horor stories about electrical, generator, A/C, macerator and other problems. Further, I recently visited the Jackson Center Airstream facility and saw an Interstate being assembled. It is a small assembly line with three stations. They allow each unit to be at the station for two hours. If longer is required they pull it off to the side. All the installation is done manually with many workers screwing things on running wires etc. One can see how easily something could be missed or misinstalled.

Now wondering if I made a mistake and should have done the retrofit.
Did you ever pick up the new 2016 w/ air suspension? If so, what's your verdict?
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
I picked up the 2016; but the air suspension model was $7000 more so I ended up going with standard 2016 suspension package (Mercedes High Center of Gravity). I believe it is better than my 2013 chassis was from the factory; but rear seat bounce is still an issue; as is buffeting behind large rigs (side roll when exiting driveway is not as bad in '15 chassis as 13; but may be because i now live in different house and driveway isn't as bad).

I would not upgrade to 2016 model for ONLY the suspension unless springing for the Air Package. I bet it is worth the $7,000 difference I would have had to pay - I'm sure it transfers to trade in/resale like 4x4 does on a truck. Just hard to swallow that I have a $150,000 van in the driveway and no Corvettes, SL600s or maybe even a Ford GT

We drove it to IL and back (1500mi) and I am VERY happy with the lane departure, screen doors, and electric window shades. The larger TV is nice (although the angle from 2nd row seats is still tough on the neck!

I also like the layout of the Electrical switches, generator and water heater controls being in the cabinet behind the driver, it's easier to access than walking all the way to the back when I connect to a 20AMP shore connection.

Still no clue why a Propane Cutoff wasn't installed in the Cabin (ahead of the exterior one); seems like that is a simple low cost improvement that does wonders to extend battery life! It was best mod I made to my 2014 model.

The addition of the cabinet over the curbside 2nd row seat is nice. (though loss of the storage below the 2nd Row Curbside seat is a bummer (we kept dog bowls, water and food & leash there).

RE: Lane Departure: the beep when you leave your lane gets really annoying when trying to read email messages (which was good since it forced me to have my wife read them to me and respond)

Not really advertised bonus was the LED light strip added to the awning & under the curbside frame, with controls on curbside front row seat with awning; making the van look pretty cool when parked with awning out.

The rear storage area now has LED lights on the left and right side; which seemed like a pretty cool idea, except once you pile in the bags the LED lights are not reachable! Placing them on the overhead would have seemed to made more since - so I'll probably still be installing a cabin light overhead in the far rear section.

There are also Clothes hanger hooks overhead on both port and starboard side behind the rear couch, as well as interior LED lighting in both the Front over cab cabinet, and rear center cabinet (figured out the overhead lights need to be on for the rear cabinet interior light to work), the front one has a switch on it.

Hope this is helpful. FYI: still some small QC issues with the new van, hoping to get back to dealer next week to get those fixed, but overall very happy with purchase.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
Did you ever pick up the new 2016 w/ air suspension? If so, what's your verdict?
never mind ... I saw your earlier post from Nov that you got it and are happy THX
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
We have a 2015 A/S Interstate with lounge seating....NO twin beds. It's quite comfortable if you use eggshell foam on top of the lounge base.
It helps if you have the XLT version.
jeffbec51 is offline   Reply With Quote