Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Air Suspension experience

Ive had our new 2017 AI about three weeks now. Traded our 2014.5 and we had a 2009 before that. Anyway, this one has the sir suspension and I really did not expect much difference so it came as a big surprise as I drove it away from the dealer that I could immediately tell the difference driving through the hilly curvy mountain roads of north Georgia, much more stable than my prior units. Our first night in it was spent in Vogel State park, and the ability to adjust the fore and aft level in our site was also nice. Finally, we just drove it from our N Georgia place to our place in Breckenridge, Colorado towing a Jeep Wrangler. The difference in the feel of the AI towing the Jeep was the biggest positive surprise of all. Much smoother when towing so we could hardly tell the Jeep was there at all. We also drove through the entire state of Kansas on I-70, which is always very windy this time of year, and again, compared to our previous AI driving experience, the stability in those conditions was markedly improved. Obviously, I would recommend the air suspension as a great option. Not necessary, but well worth the premium for the way we use the unit.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to performing our upgrade this summer but InterBlog worries about the driving quality changes. This should help put her at ease.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
LOL - there's a lot to be said for the devil you know, eh? About two yeas ago, we replaced shocks and sway bar on our T1N Interstate, which changed the driving experience considerably. Mostly for the better, but it imparted some quirks, including the fact that our Interstate bounces like a rubber ball in response to certain terrains and movements. Of course, I'm delighted with this ridiculous bouncing because I know that it represents the vehicle dissipating undesirable energy that would otherwise be dissipated in more destructive ways, as had been the case prior to the mods. But I'm worried that air suspension will change all that, and I will no longer be able to interpret its movements as I do now, at least for a time until I re-learn how to drive it.

Time will tell - our system is in transit from Europe. Hopefully our T1N-based experience will be as positive as the OP's NCV3-based experience.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Augustine , Florida
After 30k miles on my 2016 since September......mine is in today getting the Kelderman Manufacturing air kit.........can't wait to drive it afterwards it's gotta be a huge difference
Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
After 30k miles on my 2016 since September......mine is in today getting the Kelderman Manufacturing air kit.........can't wait to drive it afterwards it's gotta be a huge difference
I looked up that Kelderman suspension on their website. Looks very solid. Will you be permanently removing the gen set to get it to fit?
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Nope it fits back in the factory location
Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Notstock, I'm curious as to what prompted you to make this $$$$ decision. Are you traveling with passengers in the rear as you do your work? That's the only reason we decided to order the kit - because it was impossible for anyone to sit comfortably in the rear while our Interstate was in motion. But if it had just been me traveling solo, it would not have been of interest to me. The problem is in the rear, not the cab.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
No one rides in the back but it does provide a smoother ride overall. It also helps in long term reliability in the components of your motorhome bouncing harshly down the road.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Nope it fits back in the factory location
Myself and others are very curious to see your installation of the Kelderman air suspension while maintaining the generator and spare tire under your 2016 Interstate. I've looked at the Kelderman installation for the Sprinter van and like other full air suspension systems it requires a significant amount of space behind the rear axle. Sure would like to see photos of your Kelderman installation with generator and spare tire in place.

On the Airstream installed VB Airsuspension the generator and spare are moved back to eliminate the under floor storage box in back of most Interstates.

Thanks,
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
I removed the spare to the Thule box on the roof of my Interstate but I was going to relocate it anyway to make room for a extra compressor/air tanks for air supply and a train horn setup. Before anyone says anything about how ridiculous train horns are haven't had to wake up a driver who was nodding off or about to cross into your lane......... factory horns on the sprinters are super weak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9159.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	288343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9158.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	288344  

NotStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks for photos. Now I understand -- you can keep generator in place but then no room for spare tire as the Kelderman airbags take up that space.

We want to know what you think of the ride now as this system in considerably cheaper than the VB AirSuspension.

Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Quote:
I removed the spare to the Thule box on the roof of my Interstate but I was going to relocate it anyway to make room for a extra compressor/air tanks for air supply and a train horn setup. Before anyone says anything about how ridiculous train horns are haven't had to wake up a driver who was nodding off or about to cross into your lane......... factory horns on the sprinters are super weak
......huh that is interesting, you must be the first AI with the Kelderman system.

The Kelderman 2 stage lift kit still uses the spring pack as the trailing arm, whereby the rear is attached to the K system. They claim 2-3" of additional suspension travel and their promotional video easily proves that.

In my estimate this system is equivalent to the VB and close to the GlideRite for considerably less money and perhaps easier and less time to install.

Looked into those, but nobody could tell me whether it would fit with the generator in place. So I decided to go with a semi air suspension and choose the DriveRite kit, which was shipped from Dublin Ireland, picking that over the Dunlop kit from the UK. I found it to be just a bit easier for a DIY install. We added an Airlift 72000 compressor kit with wireless remote, installation instructions per Boxter1971's posts (thanks)

It will not be the ride of a free floating airsuspension, however considerably improved. I had some 20+ mph side wind driving on the weekend. Though not effortless, steering was much improved, whereby I bumped the airbag psi to 65 psi. The system also came in handy at a boat ramp with a sharp "kink" in the pavement, whereby we got just about 2" of lift with 75 psi and the underside did not touch the pavement.

The Kelderman system uses two Firestone 6905 airbags, which are some pretty big dudes with 8.8" diameter, so they would certainly provide a much improved ride over stock suspension. Auxlilliary air systems will not match that, however they still offer benefits over stock, again, less money.

There are kits advertised for MB sprinter vans that AI's or any other Class B sprinters need to stay away from, one of them is the BOSS. engineering and design simply will not stand up to this weight class.

Glad to see a, American company such as Kelderman to jump into the fray of air suspension ad-on's for Sprinter vans. Most of these aftermarket kits come from Europe where this is a common accessory for RV's, work vans, ambulances etc.

Enjoy your travel adventures
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I've been lusting over train horns for a while. We put in a hella brand horn to get rid of the single tone euro horn but I've spent considerable time researching my options once we install our air suspension in a few weeks. But the upgrade is low on the priority list for now.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:29 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
I've been lusting over train horns for a while. We put in a hella brand horn to get rid of the single tone euro horn but I've spent considerable time researching my options once we install our air suspension in a few weeks. But the upgrade is low on the priority list for now.

I have five horns on the truck I built for the SEMA show last year, and the AI is going to SEMA this year but will have a more modest system than the truck. I use the company horn blasters they have a great line of products
Old 06-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Drove the AI 450 miles yesterday and can only say holy cow. Something like this should come from the factory as expensive as our units are. Sure it stopped the hard rear hits from potholes and big road bumps as expected, but the best part is how it smooths out the ride on regular crappy highways. Also drove in a hard side wind yesterday and even though I'm still driving a sail in the wind it didn't rock as much as it use to. When you turn into a drive it doesn't rock side to side like it did, and handles better on sharp curves. Overall I'm loving it so far the first day hahaha.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks NotStock. Nice setup. Yours is not the first Interstate done with Kelderman air suspension system. Noticed the Kelderman web pages for the Sprinter system feature a nice Airstream Interstate in black.

https://kelderman.com/news/sprinter-...ir-suspension/

https://kelderman.com/shop/2014-spri...air-suspension
Old 06-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
You are saying you moved the spare to inside your Thule box on the roof? That would be challenging.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Can you check and add oil to the generator without having to drop it? Air bags seem to block that access panel on the Onan.

Guess I need to test drive one with an air suspension, as I have never found the driving to be all that bad without the standard set up. Or maybe I am better off not knowing how much better it could be. (Agree that it is no fun to ride in the back, but we have only had back seat riders for 100 of the 35,000 miles we have driven.)
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks NotStock. Nice setup. Yours is not the first Interstate done with Kelderman air suspension system. Noticed the Kelderman web pages for the Sprinter system feature a nice Airstream Interstate in black.

https://kelderman.com/news/sprinter-...ir-suspension/

https://kelderman.com/shop/2014-spri...air-suspension

I never said or implied that it was. They have done about 6 AI's and probably two dozen sprinter duallys in house
NotStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Not really now my truck with a 35" off road tire on a 20" wheel on the roof that's a challenge